Hartpury??

sperks93

Visit site
Hi everyone,
My username seems to have changed, it was dressagediva93, anyone know how to change it back?(Sorry haven't been on since the forum changed!). Anyway, I am in my first year of 6th form and got the 2011 Hartpury prospectus today, have always thought about going there but have a few questions to ask. My situation at the moment is that I have my 2 dressage horses at home, 35mins away from Hartpury. The one horse will now not go above elementary, but the other is a PSG horse and my FEI Junior hopeful. I am eligable to apply for a place on the Elite squad in the academy(dressage), but was wondering how worthwhile this is. I am also wondering weather I should take my top horse with me or weather to keep him at home and also weather I'd be best off at home as I will have to get a student loan to pay for it all. But then again, I don't have a serface at home and have to take into consideration how valuable the Hartpury facilities would be! My other main question is for those that are sudying or have studied at Hartpury, I am thinking about equine business management and would like an idea of the typical timetable with regard to lectures ect, so I can see how much time I would have with the horses. Hopefully you can pick out the questions in that - sorry, terrible for wrinting long posts! I would love to make it as a proffessional rider, but feel this would provide me witha good fall back. Hartpury say that their acadamy is ideal for people in my situation, but would just like to know a little bit more!

xxxx

r0450111

Visit site
i'm on Equine science. I'm not on academy myself but know a few who are. Hartpury has zero turnout as soon as winter weather begins to hit. Lessons with Jeremy and Nick are well worth being on the academy. Hartpury yard is pretty strict though. Like all horses have to be fully mucked out and sweeping begun by 8 or 8.30am each morning plus horses must be redone by 4pm. Academy riders have their own little yard plus allocated times to use the international arena each day. You didnt say if you have a box, if not, you could get alittle stuck out there. Hartpury do have boxes but unless your a 'favourite' with certain people then you will never get the chance to use them. You could always apply, and see how it goes? Lectures are pretty easy, you should have lots of time to do horses, but it does get ALOT harder in second year! I have witnessed several academy riders fall asleep in lectures and that was not the morning after student night!!! Best of luck, hartpury is unique but once your used to it it is a pretty cool place to be!

ForeverBroke_

Visit site
I was put off by the reason above, and the lack of winter turnout. However, that said the facilities are fantastic. Totally uncomparable to any others I've seen. It depends what is most important to you I guess? For me it would be all year turnout.

sperks93

Visit site
Thanks for the advice, yes I do have a box, as stay away at shows alot! lol! It's alot to think about as I do only live just over half an hour away, but it would be great to use the facilities! I suppose if I did take him with me he could always come home to be turned out in winter! :)

xxx

Suzie86

Visit site
do it :) i did an equine degree at warwickshire college and loved it. looked round hartpury and did a taster weekend there which was great. the facilitites really are amazing and there is not only the elite academy but the other one cant remember the name but the level just under elite. if you can get into that then great!! if not, well i took my horse to college he stayed there a couple of years but i moved to a local yard eventually due to no winter turnout. theres a lot to do with them though and you have plenty of time i hand grazed loose schooled, rode and used the horsewalker. its amazing having your horse at uni, with or without the academy, and you can move to local livery. in fact i know hartpury are associated with a local livery yard which i believe has year round turnout and you can still use the schools at the college. just an option if you dont get into the academy?

sperks93

Visit site
Thanks, I'm thinking it all through! I would also like to make sure that the equitation modules in the degree are optional? The horse I have has never seen a fence before and I don't jump anymore either, i'd rather focus on dressage!

xxxx

r0450111

Visit site
yeah, equitation is optional! I didnt do it. There is a yard at maisemore which has turnout, however that can be restricted again due to clay soil. It is alot cheaper at £25 pw but its a 30 odd minute hack to hartpury but you do get free use of facilities. I seem to think that you can be on the academy WITHOUT being on academy yard. See if you could do that? I think your best bet would be to contact jeremy or nick and discuss it all with them. Beware though they will try very hard to convince you to go to academy!