Has anybody been on a Kelly Marks foundation course?

karen_c

Visit site
Been having some problems with pony recently and one of our instructors has suggested taking him on one of the Kelly Marks foundation courses.

If any of you have been and can give any thoughts as to how it went and whether you found it helpful I'd love to hear from you - feel free to pm if you prefer....

karen_c

Visit site
It's a bit of a trek for us as well but instructor reckons it will be worth it. Between course, transport and accommodation I think if I go that will be the end of my plans for a holiday this year!! :rolleyes:

Tobiano

Visit site
Hm well I am a MASSIVE intelligent Horsemanship (= Kelly Marks) fan but having been on the Foundation Course I am not sure it would be quite what your horse needs. What I would suggest is that YOU go on a Foundation Course as you will get loads of advice and new skills, and also see if you can organise a Recommended Associate (RA) to come to you and help you with your horse.

When i went on the F.C. a couple of people brought their horses but IMO all that will happen is (a) they will be stabled pretty much solidly for 5 days and (b) they will do Join Up in a round pen with a RA possibly a couple of times, you will also get to do join up with them, and possibly - if you agree - another student might do join up with them. I think having an RA come to you at home and help you with your horse will be miles more beneficial to you and your horse (and I think Kelly would probably tell you that too).

good luck!

talkinghorse

www.talkinghorse.co.uk
Have to agree that you should go on it. You will learn so much and get to work with so many different horses. I went in 1993 and it really changed my life in lots of ways.

After 55 years of thinking that on top of a horse was where I felt I was in control — even if sometimes in danger — I found I was at last in control on the ground. Handling thoroughbreds on two legs was suddenly no longer a problem; neither was the Section B who used to take me in tow.

Not only did my horse learn not to walk on two legs, he learned to relax when he walked with me. It was quite a transformation, most of it in me, but the effects showed in him.

Would I take my own horse? Only if I lived nearby. After the course, I practised what I'd learned for a few weeks, then got a Recommended Associate to come and spend an hour with me. My horse was much better, but she showed me how to fine tune what I'd done.

Whether you take your horse or not, it will be one of the best "holidays" you have ever had and worth every penny in how it changes your relationship with your horse.

Redequus

Visit site
DO IT!! :) I can't recommend the 5-Day course highly enough.. I went on it about 10 years ago (after a visit from an RA), and it changed so much for me & my horse, and after so long it can have only improved. It won't make you an expert, but it is a real eye-opener and will definitely give you loads of info to put to good use with your horse - and also yourself - it's as much about us as it is them, I wish I could afford to go again and take my present horse too :)

karen_c

Visit site
Thanks all :)

Interesting what some of you have said about perhaps not taking pony with me but going on the course and then getting someone out to help me continue when I get home - will give that some thought....

Redequus

Visit site
If you took ponio he'd get a good bit of work done while he was there though. I'd defo take mine if I could because you'll have very experienced people see his reactions while you (& others) are working with himso you can be getting constant feedback over the 5 days. The tutors are fantastic, I'd move in with any one of them, lol! :)

ellijay

Visit site
It's brilliant fun and you will learn so much. I made some fab friends as well. I took my mare and she was very happy. She loved watching all that was going on the other ladies who took their horses and I hacked out in the evenings as it was the summer. It's hard work though as you have to be at the farm earlier and later than everyone else! But it cemented my relationship with my mare and I think she learnt a lot too. Go for it it's a wonderful week, emotional sometimes and hard work but worth every penny. Have fun! :)

ann-jen

Visit site
Yes I've been on the 5 day course and agree with the above. I come from a very traditional equine background and found it very interesting. But have to agree I'm glad I didn't take my horse as I think all I'd have ended up doing is riding her after the course finished and not sure wold have got much else out of it on an individual basis.

debsg

Visit site
Haven't been on a course but I have had an RA come to me when I was finding Jasmine a handful. I am in East Kent and had Suzanne Marshall, who is also BHSAI and a Mary Wanless Ride With Your Mind instructor. Suzanne helped me no end with several handling issues (basically MY problems and how Jasmine was responding to them!)
As a result, several people on my(then) yard were impressed with how she worked and Suzanne started coming to us regularly. Not only did we benefit from our own sessions and from watching each other, it also helped out financially as we split the costs between us :D , although we all felt that the charged were very reasonable.
Now I am sharing a place with another friend who has a very traumatised and nervous mare. I recommended Suzanne to her and she has had great success with helping this mare to overcome her problems,(although Suzanne hasn't actually handled the mare herself as she only really trusts my friend, but invaluable insights into horse psychology given :) )
Anyway, I'm waffling on a bit :D Just wanted to say how much of a positive experience I have had with an RA.
Wishing you good luck with your horse xx

Pale Rider

Visit site
My initial thought was 'why waste your time and money'. This is because I'm not very keen on anything Monty Roberts. However, having read the comments people have made about the course, I'd say go for it.