Has anyone been made to move a mobile field shelter?

Patchworkpony

Visit site
We are thinking of putting up a mobile field shelter and I just wondered what other people's experiences are with putting in their field and if anyone has ever been made to move or even remove a mobile shelter and if so why?

cauda equina

Visit site
There was a report in H&H some years ago about a chap who was being made to move his, every month-he was somewhere in Wales I think.

I have 2 big ones, and have never been told to move them

lrw0250

Visit site
I used to work for a stable builders and the advice we used to give was that in our neck of the woods planning stated that to be exempt from planning permission it had to be movable and should be moved every 6 months. But it didn't say how far it had to be moved so you could get away with moving it a foot to the right or left! It varies from council to council though so definitely worth checking with your local planning department.

The Fuzzy Furry

🦄 🦄
Visit site
I shift my mobile one in spring and autumn.
It either goes 20 ft along the fence in same paddock or dragged into adjacent paddock, each time well tucked away, but this isn't used much in winter as the 2 permanent ones come into play then

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
The planners round here are a complete nightmare - I prefer to tuck it away in a corner and say nothing.

I wouldn't check anything with our planners either! The only time
i did they suggested something then when I applied they rejected it!

We have had two portables on our yard for four years, one of which we towed out of a field before that, neither have pp.

Marchogaeth

Visit site
I bought a lovely new one last year:) and was made to move it from one fence line to another, as it was obscuring a neighbours view (it wasn't).
But it was not trouble to do, it's band new and on 'one way' steal runner, the landy towed it perfectly while the ground was dry:) ...you couldn't exactly call it small either!;)

I've never checked with the planners either, for any of mine and we have 3! Only had an issue with this one, and it was no bother really:)
I thought the point of a mobile is that you don't need planning permission? X

Highlands

Visit site
More to the point it can be moved.. Think its 18 inches and yes my friend has had to but near country park in outstanding area of natural beauty.

Clodagh

Visit site
I don't have one but I do think you are not allowed to put any form of permanent floor in it. Is that right? And if so how do you stop it becoming a soggy mess in winter?

Fransurrey

Visit site
I don't have one but I do think you are not allowed to put any form of permanent floor in it. Is that right? And if so how do you stop it becoming a soggy mess in winter?
Techniques vary, but this winter I used a mix of old hay and used Bedmax, then put down stable mats and topped with more (fresh) Bedmax. When I remove the wet or dusty stuff, I put it under the mats. It was starting to flood in the bad weather, but doing this sorted it. I have grass mats in front and put used bedding under those, too.

3OldPonies

Visit site

A lady near me put down rubber matting so that it covered the area and stuck out far enough to be under the overhang and then pulled the shelter over the top to keep it all in place. Bit tricky but it worked. Should add though that it's not a huge shelter, it's pony sized. She's since added a removable partition and gates on the front so it can be used as stables - the planners don't know it and neither does the local busybody:D