has anyone competed in young dressage horses classes? opinions on them please...

charlie76

Visit site
And what's involved?
If you have competed in them What is involved? What is the judge looking for?
Do you think they are beneficial to the young Horse and why do you think they Are/are not?
Interested in people's views.
Thank you!

Vickijay

Visit site
I have done the Badminton young dressage horse class with one of mine. Got talked into it after she won and came 2nd in her first 2 tests on the Saturday and it was the young horse class on the Sunday. Mainly did it for experience (and because she already had plaits in!!)

I felt majorly out of place on my tb mare up against all these huge moving, posh, proper drssage horses. I nearly went home again!!!

Did walking, trotting, cantering, long and low and free walk on a long rein. I just schooled basically as figured I would come last anyway!! Most people had far more organised and well practiced tests!!

I was shocked (to say the least!!) to find she had beaten loads of them and came 3rd!! 2nd would of meant we qualified (which would of meant dressage schooling every day to try to fit in!!)

It was a good day out and I was loads proud of my exracehorse competing against (and beating!) some very nice horses :)

Tinks81

Visit site
i am going to do them next year with my 4yo!!

I must say though i do unfortunately think it is who is riding which is why i will be getting a proffessional on mine !!

Vickijay

Visit site
I disproved the professional rider part as I am far from that!!

One thing the judge said to me is that my mare came across as very obedient, willing to learn and most importantly be trainable/rideable so think that is all a factor too

Ali16

Visit site
My OH did them with his 4yo in 2003.

He qualified and was 3rd overall at the Nationals. :)

He was only 18 then and was in no way a 'professional' back then, but the horse is extremely talented and has huge movement.

I think that they are a great way of spotting potential, as long as the babies are not pushed too hard.

One rider (not going to mention any names) was actually booed when he finished his test after showing established extensions and a very 'forced' way of going. He came last.

The eventual winner that year broke in their lengthened strides and jogged in the walk, but the quality of the horse shone through.

I think that they are a great thing to do!

charlie76

Visit site
Thank you. I have an exam next week and just wanted people input. I have my own ideas but its great to get other viewpoints!