Has anyone else considered planning a pregnancy around riding??!!

ncarter

Visit site
Not planning to get up the duff just yet, but I have been thinking that if is happens around April / May, then that means that it is only a winter of riding that I miss out on, much better than missing a summer!

Has anyone else gone into this level of planning or am I just weird?!

smallgirl

Visit site
Think I will probably try to do this, again not in any rush to test this out mind!! I don't ride much in the winter so would plump (boom boom) for this to be the most pregnant time then have an early spring baby to be able to get both it and me out for the summer.......in an ideal world.......so knowing my luck it'll be the opposite!

Lucyad

Visit site
I did that - didn't work within deadline, tried one extra month, and baby was due end May. She came 1 month early, end of april, so I still got my summer maternity leave! Didn't fancy having my only ever 6 months off over winter. Still didn't get much riding in, TBH, as difficult to leave baby, but at least I wasn't pregnant over the show season, and it was much nicer spending 'at home with baby' time outside in the garden in the sunshine than cooped up in the house.

Sarah1

Visit site
Yep!
Hubby & I decided we'd like to start trying for a family and tried to work it in with when my niece would be available to ride my horse (luckily it happened pretty much straight away!) - I missed a summer of riding (stopped at 20 weeks and then my niece took over) but thought it would be easier to muck out & have all of the hassle of horses in winter when I wasn't pregnant! :)
As it happened it was the winter that was really terrible and we had snow for weeks & weeks BUT once it thawed I rode 3 times during the week because my fab in-laws were only too happy to look after their only grandchild AND it meant I didn't have to get up at silly o'clock to muck out before work AND no risk of slipping over on the ice with 'bump'! :D

Last edited:

abbijay

Visit site
We didn't plan it to that extent but we seem to have fit your timescales quite well.
Got pregnant in April and babies are due on 23rd December (I know it's not 9 months from Apr to Dec but twins are only 37 weeks instead of 40). From a horsey perspective I wish i was due to give birth in summer as it's less of a hassle getting someone else to look after BP in the summer time and people are far keener to ride him for me.
I have still competed this year when the weather wasn't abismal and we have our last competition of the year on Sunday. I doubt I'll fit in my show jacket and will have to move into my shabby spare jacket!

Toffee44

Visit site
I had a pregnancy loss around three months ago and wanted to try again ASAP however my little project horse of 2 years has decided that the penny has dropped and that going forward/ jumping/ generallly behaving is good fun.

Its made me rethink of do I try and plan so I can hunt her next season.

But what will be will be, we might be upping and moving yet so again would be nice to plan around these things, but life doesn't always play that was does it?