Has anyone else gone back to riding after a serious injury?

missyme10

Visit site
Well I've not broke my back but I did have a bad fall and break my leg in 9 places last year.
It was such a bad break the doctors weren't sure I'd ever ride again, but eventually gave me the go ahead to try. I wasn't sure if I wanted to, understandably worried about injuring myself so badly again.

But I did, I sold the horse I had the accident on, I certainly couldn't have ever ridden him again and I bought a gypsey cob to get my confidence back.
A good sympathetic instructor also played a big part.

At present I only school and hack but I do plan to jump in the future.
It has been real hard going returning to riding, I've gone from physically shaking and feeling sick at the thought of riding to now not only being really happy on my horse, but I find I am loving riding again.
The right horse is a must, my lad has gained my trust, but I'm not sure I'd be able to jump on just any horse and feel fine.

I think the bottom line is, if you really want it, you will do it. But I honestly would consider another horse to get going on again other than the one you had your accident on.
Good luck in whatever you decide xxxx

rubyrumba

Visit site
Oh my god, all you lot are so brave!! I get quite scared when I fall off and don't even hurt myself!!
I would probably sell all my horses if any of that happened to me,but you are all very lucky to still be here and like a breath of fresh air, I will never moan about silly things anymore!!
Sorry for the ones that have been lost, that must be hard but glad you have found new equine friends :)

benson21

Visit site
See, now I am completely different to everyone else on here.
We had a horrid accident back in Feb, I was riding out with a friend and we were all hit by a car. benson, who i loaned from my friend died at the scene and Charlie, my new one which she was riding was put down about 6 weeks later. Tammy injured her shoulder and hip, and I broke my back.
I have absolutely no urge to ride again.
There was only one horse I ever trusted completely, and that was Benson.
Some of it I think is bravery, I am just too too scared to even think about getting on, some of it is pain, I am still in a huge amount of pain with my back, and some is the feeling of I just wouldnt enjoy it anymore.
I am quite happy caring for a horse with grooming, stable bits and bobs etc etc, and I was with Benson. I hated hacking out, didnt much like jumping, although got a great adrenilin boost doing xc. Beach rides and galloping in the fields was our thing, and truthfully the only thing I miss about riding.
But each to their own. If you feel you want to ride again, go slowly at your own time. You will know when you are ready. But there is nothing wrong in saying you dont want to either.

Allover

Visit site
But each to their own. If you feel you want to ride again, go slowly at your own time. You will know when you are ready. But there is nothing wrong in saying you dont want to either.

You are absolutely right, it is down to choice and how YOU feel and what you want to do, not what you feel you should do.:)

I am so sorry you had such a horrible accident, and am so sorry the horses died, i cant imagine, and hope i never experience, something so destroying.

Millyard Rejects

Visit site
I havent had the worst of injuries- infact I thought the doctor was joking when he said I had a "stable fracture of the t12" :rolleyes: It certainly didnt feel stable to me having had a lump of a horse land on me! but thankfully not as bad as some of the people on here. And I think if id lost any of my horses in any of these ways then you would find me disappearing into the nearest vodka bottle!

I gave up riding for a long time choosing also to just potter around on the ground with horses.Till a friend got me riding her retired hunter. He may have been elderly 28 but he felt like a 5 year old! but as hed been there done everything I was able to trust him completly:)
I only ride now if I know the horse well and it has to be super quiet- that makes me sound a bit wussy but at the end of the day i enjoy it more if im not shaking!

I also think its a pre requisite to been a horsey female that we will have our "hard scar" or pieces of metal or funny lumps on elbows etc. :)

smudge99

Visit site
Annette any time you want to even just sit on Jess you know you are more than welcome, you dont have to go anywhere just sit and fuss then get off if thats what you want. If we can be of any help any time just shout.

Liz

foraday

Visit site
Broke my neck C6 & C7 17 years ago-can't feel my right side much due to a compression of the spinal cord caused by a lesion that won't heal.

None of my neuro surgeons would ever give me the go ahead to ride but went on and did it anyway-am in less pain when I ride although I do ache afterwards.

Was injured in a RTA so nothing to do with horses.

I don't worry when riding and the horses that I have had over the years have accepted my weak right side and allow me to mount up differently and dismount differently.

Just find yourself a 'steady eddie' and build yourself up! You will enjoy it!

Doris68

Visit site
I hesitate to post as my injuries seem so trivial to those who have posted! Staarzan sticks in my mind, but there are so many others - you're all amazing.

I had a bad fall from my home bred youngster whilst trying to get on via a mounting block! I fell backwards and landed with my right leg bent and fractured the head of my femur in 7 places and my spine in two places (lumbar one and two). I was back in the saddle 9 months later (on the dam of said youngster), despite being told I would probably never walk properly again and certainly would be unlikely to ride. I was not in the first flush of youth but I was determined to carry on.

I did find hacking out alone (no options - no one to ride with) quite daunting and not a lot of fun as I didn't want to go too far on my own, even on the old mare. Sold the youngster and have now retired the mare (she's rising 25). I no longer ride, but that's because I have nothing to ride locally (don't fancy a riding school!!), but if given the chance and, the right sensible horse, I would be back in the saddle like a shot.

Although I can't say I was "frightened", I did not feel confident being out on my own and I have ridden since I was very young and am an experienced rider. However, I am far too old to bounce so don't feel too bad not riding and just love looking after my mare at home and she loves being the centre of attention.

Well done to all you brave souls out there - kick on!!!

Doris68

Visit site
Forgot to say, biggest problem is getting on and off as need high mounting block and have a problem "getting my leg over" (so to speak!) when I dismount - quite embarrassing - for me anyway!

jendie

www.ramsgrovebeardies.com
What an amazing thread, the sheer bravery and determination of some of these riders leaves me in awe.

I broke my back in May this year. The horse spooked when a flight of pigeons flew straight at her. She went from walk into a buck, a rear and straight into gallop and I fell heavily in the cement-hard paddock. My L4 verterbrae was shattered, though luckily there was no damage to the spinal cord. I'm still in a lot of pain at times and have just had a hysterectomy that isn't helping my mobility! I would dearly love to ride again. I'd only just purchased the horse I had the accident on and she has been resold. I have a rather quirky gypsy cob who I love to bits but who isn't the safest horse in the county. She is with us forever because I suspect she could end up in trouble in another home. If she has to be a field ornament then so bit it. I also have a young ID filly but she isn't even broken in yet. Immediately after the accident I doubted I'd ever get on a horse again, I couldn't get on a toilet without help let alone a horse >g< But now I yearn to ride and I suspect I'll give it a try as soon as I'm healed from my op. I have to try, though I fear the possible consequences of another fall. The thought of being paralysed is devastating and would be so traumatic for my family....taking that risk seems very selfish.

I guess I'll have to wait for a really rock solid horse that I can plod round on with confidence. I hope there is one, somewhere out there. I don't want to compete, all I want to do is a bit of gentle hacking. One day....

ElvisandTilly

Visit site
Some of these accidents are horrific! Makes my broken ankle pale into insignificance. Your all so very brave.

Before I ride again I will be having a few sessions on the mechanical horse we have in a shop locally to see where my weakness is and how my balance has been affected.

Is there a mechanical horse nearby that you could use to build your strength and confidence up before getting on the real thing?

madmax1

Visit site
Thank you to everyone who has posted on here you have truly inspired me. I have been feeling so very blue over the past few months after having a horse crush me, my biggest injury was braking my pelvis - now plated and several pins.

My injuries seem nothing compared to you guys, so thank you for making me feel more positive about trying to ride again one day.

I too have decided to use a mechanical horse before getting on the real thing, I plan to go back to basics (have been riding for 15yrs but it cant hurt) I also have considered getting a body protector. I only wore a BP once 10 years ago and hated it. I was hoping they would have improved now, not that I have any idea which one to choose. I thought a BP may give me confidence but also help if I do fall, I am not sure if I will be as stable in the saddle as I was before the accident.

I would like to say thank you to all the riders here for giving me hope, and send hugs to all those who have lost their best friends....I can only imagine....It would be like cutting off an arm. <<<HUGS>>>

THANK YOU

x

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
This last June (a crack and chip, though nothing like your back!)
Arm-bruise20090616.jpg

This last September (a bleed)
brain001.gif

To this last week (the highest we've jumped together :))
DSCF0052-3-1.jpg

It's taken a long time, or it feels like a long time. We've had our set backs, so cantering was an issue even in the school, and definately out on a hack. Last week, to canter in a strange school and with others in it and with jumps was a major step for me :)

DSCF0012-4.jpg

I didn't know when I wrote this post, that I had broken my back that day - 30th July 2010.

Three months down the line and three months still to go before I'm allowed to get back on. And I will. No idea what we will do, if anything, but I will get back on my Dizzy one.