Has anyone else had a bad ankle break/ returned to riding etc please

SarahM

Visit site
I broke my ankle badly 6 weeks ago, broke a couple of areas, ligament damage in 2 areas and dislocated. It was manipulated and then surgery with plates and several pins. I had the plaster off today and was put in an air boot. The consultant was really negative and told me to expect 12-18 months recovery to be back doing what I was. This was pretty gutting as I was hoping to be back riding after 3/4 months, I'm starting physio next week. Has anyone else experienced similar please? Hoping he was giving me worst case scenario and I will be back sooner that 12 months. Thanks so much

cundlegreen

Visit site
I broke my ankle badly 6 weeks ago, broke a couple of areas, ligament damage in 2 areas and dislocated. It was manipulated and then surgery with plates and several pins. I had the plaster off today and was put in an air boot. The consultant was really negative and told me to expect 12-18 months recovery to be back doing what I was. This was pretty gutting as I was hoping to be back riding after 3/4 months, I'm starting physio next week. Has anyone else experienced similar please? Hoping he was giving me worst case scenario and I will be back sooner that 12 months. Thanks so much
I broke mine much the same as you when in my late 50's. I too have a plate and pins, and was riding in 6 weeks with the air boot on. Had to just use a stirrup leather for my foot. I had a nice steady horse though. I used an Arc Equine which I think speeded up recovery, and was doing my horses as usual from a mobility scooter after 2 days. I've not had any problems since, whereas a 23 yr old who had the same as me, had to have 2 operations to remove the plate because of pain. Not sure if it was the arc which made the difference.

SarahM

Visit site
I broke mine much the same as you when in my late 50's. I too have a plate and pins, and was riding in 6 weeks with the air boot on. Had to just use a stirrup leather for my foot. I had a nice steady horse though. I used an Arc Equine which I think speeded up recovery, and was doing my horses as usual from a mobility scooter after 2 days. I've not had any problems since, whereas a 23 yr old who had the same as me, had to have 2 operations to remove the plate because of pain. Not sure if it was the arc which made the difference.
Thanks so much, will look into the Arc Equine :)

eggs

Visit site
I had a Potts fracture of my ankle and 13 fractures of my tibia over 30 years ago. This was pinned and plated. I don't have full movement in my ankle but am still able to ride. I find Flex-on stirrups really beneficial. Riding at jumping length is uncomfortable but dressage length in not a problem.

SarahM

Visit site
I had a Potts fracture of my ankle and 13 fractures of my tibia over 30 years ago. This was pinned and plated. I don't have full movement in my ankle but am still able to ride. I find Flex-on stirrups really beneficial. Riding at jumping length is uncomfortable but dressage length in not a problem.
Thank you! How long was it until you were able to walk and ride? Thanks

Frumpoon

Visit site
I had a horrible displaced fracture of the ankle region a few years ago, I had surgery and a big metal plate because my bone couldn't take a smaller plate...swelling persisted for a long time after the cast was taken of for and a lot of muscle atrophy. Anyway since then I've gone back to jumping, bloodhounding, schooling a few advanced medium movements. It didn't happen straightaway and my other side started compensating which causes problems but it certainly hasn't stopped me

SarahM

Visit site
I had a horrible displaced fracture of the ankle region a few years ago, I had surgery and a big metal plate because my bone couldn't take a smaller plate...swelling persisted for a long time after the cast was taken of for and a lot of muscle atrophy. Anyway since then I've gone back to jumping, bloodhounding, schooling a few advanced medium movements. It didn't happen straightaway and my other side started compensating which causes problems but it certainly hasn't stopped me
Thank you, good to hear! :)

Frumpoon

Visit site
Just to add I was back in the saddle as soon a the cast was off but couldn't manage more than 10 mins at first. This was massively frustrating but remember your balance is out so don't be giving your horse a hard time if they don't understand the aids etc

exracehorse

Visit site
It all depends on the severity of the break and location etc. Plus if surgery was required. I broke my fibula just above the ankle in July. Full non weight bearing cast. Was talk of having it pinned as the leg had collapsed above the ankle and I had two spiral fractures as well as the broken fibula. Then air boot. I was very naughty. Threw the crutches away and was poo picking and moving fencing and getting horses in. At 5 week check up, I went in wearing trainers. My consultant was horrified. I bought an ankle brace and wore hiking boots. At 6 weeks was riding. Was wonky. Painful to rise to the trot. Felt very frustrated. Take your time. Listen to your body. Speak to your consultant. Push yourself as long as medically allowed. This helps to recover. It sucks when you break a leg. I didn’t even do it riding. I fell over getting the washing in.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Just a small tip, get a few mechanical horse sessions booked in before you get on the real thing. I called it 'extra physio' but it helped enormously.
Also, get exercising your core and other muscle strengthening exercises, even by lying on the floor with feet up on a couple of cushions, get inventive by lifting legs, gentle stomach crunches etc, all will help x

SarahM

Visit site
It all depends on the severity of the break and location etc. Plus if surgery was required. I broke my fibula just above the ankle in July. Full non weight bearing cast. Was talk of having it pinned as the leg had collapsed above the ankle and I had two spiral fractures as well as the broken fibula. Then air boot. I was very naughty. Threw the crutches away and was poo picking and moving fencing and getting horses in. At 5 week check up, I went in wearing trainers. My consultant was horrified. I bought an ankle brace and wore hiking boots. At 6 weeks was riding. Was wonky. Painful to rise to the trot. Felt very frustrated. Take your time. Listen to your body. Speak to your consultant. Push yourself as long as medically allowed. This helps to recover. It sucks when you break a leg. I didn’t even do it riding. I fell over getting the washing in.
Thank you, I couldn't believe he said 12-18 months today, was a shock! I was hoping to be back on board within 4-5 months, hopefully he was wrong:)

SarahM

Visit site
Just a small tip, get a few mechanical horse sessions booked in before you get on the real thing. I called it 'extra physio' but it helped enormously.
Also, get exercising your core and other muscle strengthening exercises, even by lying on the floor with feet up on a couple of cushions, get inventive by lifting legs, gentle stomach crunches etc, all will help x
Thank you that's a great idea :) will try and find one x

Michen

Visit site
Word of warning don’t ride in aircast boot it will scratch your saddke!!

Keep the ankle moving, I had a simple break of the medial malleous and surgeon agreed I was back to normal so quickly because I didn’t loose my range of movement much as I kept the ankle “in work” (different if you haven’t been operated on and it needs to remain immobile)

littleshetland

Visit site
I fell off and broke my ankle very badly (compound break) 3 years ago. I've had 4 operations on it, 2 of them cosmetic and more recent because it was such a mess. lots of plates and pins in it, and it's still not very pretty...but, good news is, it's fine and I'm pretty much back to normal, although I'm not very good at running...but then I never was! Ridings fine tho (and that's what really matters!). I remember getting back in the saddle about 12 weeks after I broke it - against docs advice - just for a bit of gentle walking, and it did hurt, but now I don't really think about it anymore. Time will pass, you will heal, and you'll be riding again! Good luck.

Flicker

Visit site
Not a break, but a grade 2 sprain and tearing of ligaments. Riding was excruciating and I really struggled until I found a brilliant physio. I saw him twice and performed the exercises religiously. There was enormous improvement and I am back to full fitness now.
It took a long time though, 9 months all in. He said with Grade 2 sprains, recovery time is anywhere between 6 and 12 months.
I would definitely recommend following your physio regime to the letter, including rest periods. Your structures need time to recover to enable them to get stronger.
Hope you are back on your feet soon!

SarahM

Visit site
I fell off and broke my ankle very badly (compound break) 3 years ago. I've had 4 operations on it, 2 of them cosmetic and more recent because it was such a mess. lots of plates and pins in it, and it's still not very pretty...but, good news is, it's fine and I'm pretty much back to normal, although I'm not very good at running...but then I never was! Ridings fine tho (and that's what really matters!). I remember getting back in the saddle about 12 weeks after I broke it - against docs advice - just for a bit of gentle walking, and it did hurt, but now I don't really think about it anymore. Time will pass, you will heal, and you'll be riding again! Good luck.
Thank you so much, great to know you've come through it all now. Sorry to hear you've had a bad time of it. That's made me more hopeful thank you x

SarahM

Visit site
Not a break, but a grade 2 sprain and tearing of ligaments. Riding was excruciating and I really struggled until I found a brilliant physio. I saw him twice and performed the exercises religiously. There was enormous improvement and I am back to full fitness now.
It took a long time though, 9 months all in. He said with Grade 2 sprains, recovery time is anywhere between 6 and 12 months.
I would definitely recommend following your physio regime to the letter, including rest periods. Your structures need time to recover to enable them to get stronger.
Hope you are back on your feet soon!
Thank you very much :) I have my first physio on Tuesday. Will be listening to everything they say. Thank you x

paddy555

Visit site
my break wasn't at bad as yours but I found the physio useless. I gave up on it very quickly. I found the best physio was my horse. Once out of the walker I bought a leg brace, bandaged it on very tightly with 2 horse bandages and put it all in a Mountain horse ankle boot. (they are sized on the large side) Then I got on the horse and walked. Had the stirrup a little longer to start with and the action of walking by the horse gently moved my ankle. I gradually shortened the stirrup as the ankle got more flexible and stronger and I stuck to walk until I could get the stirrup short enough to trot. Trotting is better with shorter stirrups as the ankle is more stable and doesn't wander around as much.
Obviously you will need a lot of rest periods and everything else the physio recommends but as far as getting the ankle moving and supple the horse did it the best.
I did loads in the air walker. Long reined, lunged, stable work. I just pumped it up very tight so the ankle was going no where. I used the air boot for about 6 months after I was told it could come off. I put it on for anything around the horses that was dangerous where they could push me etc. It gave a wonderful sense of security.

SarahM

Visit site
my break wasn't at bad as yours but I found the physio useless. I gave up on it very quickly. I found the best physio was my horse. Once out of the walker I bought a leg brace, bandaged it on very tightly with 2 horse bandages and put it all in a Mountain horse ankle boot. (they are sized on the large side) Then I got on the horse and walked. Had the stirrup a little longer to start with and the action of walking by the horse gently moved my ankle. I gradually shortened the stirrup as the ankle got more flexible and stronger and I stuck to walk until I could get the stirrup short enough to trot. Trotting is better with shorter stirrups as the ankle is more stable and doesn't wander around as much.
Obviously you will need a lot of rest periods and everything else the physio recommends but as far as getting the ankle moving and supple the horse did it the best.
I did loads in the air walker. Long reined, lunged, stable work. I just pumped it up very tight so the ankle was going no where. I used the air boot for about 6 months after I was told it could come off. I put it on for anything around the horses that was dangerous where they could push me etc. It gave a wonderful sense of security.
Thank you, that's a good idea wearing it for longer. I can only partially weigh bear at the moment can't wait to be able to walk so I can long rein but they said thay may take months. Hopefully they are wrong and I can work hard to get back to it. Thanks for your message:)

Polos

Visit site
My friend broke hers quite badly after a bad fall. She followed the surgeons advice to a t and it was about a year before she got back on. She still keeps up with physio/pt sessions now. When I had acl reconstruction it was about 10 months (it actually lined up with the surgeons estimates) before I got back on as it didn’t feel strong enough before then and I followed physio religiously.

All I will say is do not rush to get back on, it isn’t a competition as to who can get on first and if you get on too soon you could end up doing more damage than good which may mean another surgery down the line. Doctors haven’t done years of medical training for nothing

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I broke mine 2 years ago much similar to yours, it took me ages to walk properly as the soft tissue damage was so bad and I lost a lot of movement but after physio I was back riding 5 months later, my main issue was how painful it was for such a long time afterwards I struggled to walk and use it as it would hurt and swell up if I over did it, I would say it's almost back to normal my leg muscles are slightly smaller and weaker compared to the good one but I can use it just as good as the other one.

Just wanted to add I would start moving the ankle now by pointing your toes down then pointing your toes up, my ankle locked up and I struggled with the walk reflex, it was the upward motion that was most difficult for me.

SarahM

Visit site
ADVERTISEMENT​
https://assets.scoota.co/creative/a...tive/assets/19vmeu7/bundle/2/buttonbottom.png
https://assets.scoota.co/creative/a...reative/assets/19vmeu7/bundle/2/buttontop.png
https://assets.scoota.co/creative/a...ta.co/creative/assets/19vmeu7/bundle/2/bg.png
I broke mine 2 years ago much similar to yours, it took me ages to walk properly as the soft tissue damage was so bad and I lost a lot of movement but after physio I was back riding 5 months later, my main issue was how painful it was for such a long time afterwards I struggled to walk and use it as it would hurt and swell up if I over did it, I would say it's almost back to normal my leg muscles are slightly smaller and weaker compared to the good one but I can use it just as good as the other one.

Just wanted to add I would start moving the ankle now by pointing your toes down then pointing your toes up, my ankle locked up and I struggled with the walk reflex, it was the upward motion that was most difficult for me.
Thanks very much x