Has anyone else seen the 3 horses on M4 just after Jnct 17??

Always_late

Visit site
I dont want to blow the whistle yet, but I've seen 2 ponies and 1 (recently aquired) horse living in a very small field on the M4 just off Jnction 17 (west bound). The field has a man made large pond/small lake but the banks are very steep and for all I know it could be fenced off from the ponies and horse. The field is lower than the motorway and but slopes up towards high hedges. The field has several long term mobile homes at the other end - some sort of a settlement - travellers but not new age by the looks of it. Most of the permanent buildings have been sprayed dark green. Their isn't a field shelter. I've been watching the ponies for several months now and they came out of winter in a reasonable shape considering the grazing they've been on - absolutely no evidence of additional winter feeding apart fromt he grass. But now they are dropping condition to an extent that I can notice without stopping the car. The horse doesn't look much better although when he/she turned up on the scene a few weeks back, he/she was in good condition (rugged up but outline was ok). They are all looking rather mangy now - its not just the summer moult and no grooming - there is definately seomthing not right. Ok, I culd ring the RSPCA but does anyone know of another organisation who takes our phone calls seriously and follows them up? Can do with some advise please folks.

Faithkat

Visit site
Since the new Animal Welfare Law the Police, RSPCA and all welfare organisations have a lot more "clout" as it is now a definite offence to neglect animals. There was a report on BBC Breakfast this morning from a horse sanctuary in Norfolk in which they highlighted the fact that there will be more horses etc in rescue because of the new law. I'd report it to the Police, RSPCA and ILPH, between them they ought to be able to do something. http://www.defra.gov.uk/animalh/welfare/act/index.htm

Fahrenheit

www.ipcmedia.com
Police have the power to enter a property if need be and they can bring a vet etc... we did this with our old neighbours, they had ponies on a piece of scrub land and one of them was got injured and was not weight bearing on one leg, I went and told them he told me to f*ck off it would live or die, so my dad (an ex policeman) called the police to the animals, they didn't want to enter but my dad reminded them that under such a such law they could enter and take a vet, sadly the horse had to be pts and the guy got banned from keeping horses but it didn't stop him, from then on they were in his wifes name (i heard). Once one was in a round pen and it had its shoe caught in the mesh, i sneaked in and cut it free, he never said anything but he must of known someone had because I cut the mesh on the round pen to get its foot uncaught. There was loads of problems I could list them all night. He chased some council people off the property with a shot gun once, the man should be in jail! I'm so glad we don't live there anymore.

Autumna1

Visit site
I'd contact the ILPH. Have read good reports on here about their prompt attendance and action when required. The RSPCA seem to be a waste of space from what other's have said.

conniegirl

Visit site
RSPCA are beyond useless, i presented them with a starving pony that had gotten out onto the road, it looked like a hat rack and was on the brink of total starvation, Rspca came out, said there was no signs of neglect/abuse and when i asked what i should do with the pony (i couldnt put it out with my lot as god only knows what it had and it was covered in lice) they said put it back on the road, its owners will come and get it!!!!! I was horrified, anyway the poor pony died 2 weeks later from starvation (i live not far from the place where it was kept).

A couple of weeks ago i found a dog on our yard so i took it to the RSPCA after phoning everyone i know in the area to ask if they knew of the dog. The RSPCA again was not interested at all, told me to let it go as they wouldnt take it and i couldnt spend all day looking for its owners, they even refused to scan it for a microchip. I was beyond disgusted, gave them a peice of my mind and then left i took the dog to the local dog warden whos kennels were 40miles away!! (RSPCA is a mile down the road).
Also when a friend of mine asked them if they would rehome her dog for her as she was emmigrating to australia and couldnt take the dog and no one else wanted the poor dog, she was told they would have her for 7 days and if she wasnt rehomed in those 7 day because she was an older dog the would have her PTS! we took the dog in the end but only because we couldnt stand to see such a lovely lively 11 yearold dog PTS, we realy dont have the time or space for her but its better then that! Now the NCDL and dogs trust dont put dogs to sleep if they cant be rehomed, so why on earth should the RSPCA!!

Call the ILPH or the BHS or anyone except the RSPCA