Has anyone elses horse had a negative reaction to a martingale?

abi31

Visit site
I thought I'd pop a martingale on my boy over winter as he was getting a bit strong on hacks and I didn't want to put a stronger bit in (ridden in a snaffle). I thought a martingale would give me a bit more head control. I followed the instructions for fitting it but he has started throwing himself around in it and constricts into a ball of explosive energy. I took it off him today and went back to the normal snaffle bridle and he was naughty at first but then calmed right down and was an absolute star.

Do some horses just not like martingales? Where on the horse might it be exerting pressure that he doesnt like, eg. poll, mouth, chest? Sorry if I sound like a numpty but if you don't ask you never know.

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
Was it a running or standing martingale?

If standing then he either doesn't like the pressure on his nose bones (or the noseband is in the wrong spot), or he got frustrated/angry at the restriction.

If it's a running then either it was too short and putting pressure on his mouth, or there's possibly a mouth/teeth issue.

toomanyhorses26

Visit site
My mare hates it - she is fine in her teeth, back etc just incredibly sensitive - its better if I put two stops on each rein which limits the movement of the rings up and down the reins but tbh unless I have to use it I dont

abi31

Visit site
Thanks for posting. Sorry, it's a running martingale. He had his teeth done about 2 weeks ago and the noseband is fitted fine. Any other ideas? TBH I probably won't use it again.xx

Holly Hocks

Visit site
Yes I had a very adverse reaction to a running martingale about six years ago. A friend invited me to take my TB ex-racer to the beach with her horse as she was trying to fitten her horse up and wanted something for her horse to keep up with. Someone at the yard said that I would definitely need a martingale (not sure why - I just believed her!) and lent me a running martingale. At first I thought he was just excited. We did 5 mins walk, then 5 mins trot and then friend said we were going to do 5 mins of steady canter. My horse always carried his head high out hacking. Well within a millisecond of starting the canter I was about 100yrds in front her her. Rebel had bolted - panicking because he didn't understand the martingale. After friend had done her 5 mins and pulled up, I was still being bolted with - believe me I was considering baling out because there was absolutely nothing I could do. I think I managed to pull up after about 10 minutes after heading my horse at her horse (it is a huge stretch of bay about a mile long and I had been basically trying just to stick to the perimeter).

I did take him to the beach again quite a few times - without a martingale, just in his snaffle and cavesson noseband and he was perfect!

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
Don't like running martingales at all, think they're rather nasty things that don't do what they are supposed to and interfere with the contact and action of the bit A LOT. Unfortunately a lot of people stick them on as a matter of course without knowing what they're supposed to be for. I've not used one for over 30 years.

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
If you're having a strength issue, other than schooling, maybe look at the bit and the noseband combination. Ask your EDT for comments on your horses's mouth conformation, then your instructor/on here for guidance :).

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
A martingale is not going to do the work of a bit, it simply stops the horse lifting its head too high. It is possible that yours was a bit too tightly adjusted for your horse's comfort but equally, it could just be that your horse wasn't used to it and not happy about it.
I haven't had problems with a martingale but did once put a breast-girth on a Clydie to stop the saddle slipping back on our very steep hills. Her predecessor, who had driven in the past, had worked really well in one but she was dreadful in it, she constantly was on the forehand, trying to put her weight into it, just as if she was pulling a vehicle, which she hadn't ever been trained to do.
Different horses just do respond in different ways.
If you feel that you need more control, you could experiment with different snaffle bits, e.g. if usually ridden in a jointed snaffle, try a French-link or a mullen-mouthed snaffle, you could also experiment with bits made from different materials.

ATrueClassAct

Visit site
Our gelding hates them, he's a stress head and hates feeling restricted so they are a no no for him since it makes him feel more anxious with extra contraptions. Where as Arab can't be ridden without one, she's a retired showjumper so gets very fizzy and throws her head about and it gets dangerous.
Have bad and good experiences with them.