Has anyone ever had a youngster that has just been, well too good to be true?

Fools Motto

Visit site
As some of you know, I got myself a new horse at the beginning of March. A rising 5 yr old, NF x CB gelding. Although he had seen tack 5 times last year, he has been left pretty feral out in a huge field with a river and was left to his own devices. Since having him, he has accepted everything, from living in for the first 2 weeks, to behaving tied on the yard, feet being picked out, saddled, bridled, lunged, long reined, let off another pony, cars out on the lane (included revving engines!), now ridden, stands by the mounting block, waits for friends, hacks in front, behind, good to catch etc...
Today I rode him in the arena to work him officially for the first time. Asked walk/halt, left/right, circle, turns, walk/trots, changed my diagonal and whip over... the only issue being, he slightly 'hung' to the gate... he was happy to go off my leg in the upwards transitions, and voiced command for the downwards (he was a bit too good at that!). Brings me onto the question - i'm waiting for the 'baby tantrums' right? They do happen with every horse?
I'm not going to ask for canter until it feels right - and probably accidently fall into it out on a ride which I think it the right thing to do? (and lets hope I haven't jinxed that!!) lol

L&M

Visit site
My lad was an angel between 4 and 5yrs, don't be fooled!!!! The tantrums and challenging behaviour started at 5 rising 6 yrs, and he was still prone to 'idiot' moments until around 8yrs.

I only cantered mine on hacks initially, once he felt strong cantering on a straight line did I then introduce canter work in the school, and took him a good while to master a 20m circle in canter.

Of course you may just be one of the lucky ones......!

maya2008

Visit site
Most mares I have had have lost their marbles a little between age 5 and 6 - varying degrees of severity and duration! The one gelding was actually fine, no Kevin stage at all.

Nari

Visit site
A Welsh Cob I bought as a 2yo and lost in February at nearly 17. Apart from health issues I don't think he ever caused a days trouble in his life, he was so easy I even backed him myself.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I have a six year old who I backed at three who is yet to put a foot wrong ??

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
We bought Dolly as a 4 year old. She is utterly angelic and has never put a foot wrong.

My first pony was also bought at 4. He never ever did anything wrong either. Literally not one buck or rear or nap in years!

I backed an ISH and a fell pony. Neither of them even bucked during that process but remained calm and accepting throughout.

So yes these paragons do exist!

Polos Mum

Visit site
six weeks in, you're really still in the honey moon period where he is finding his feet / place and it's all really nice and interesting.

You have done calm sensible progressive things so probably not yet asked him to do anything he didn't want to.

If a human year is about 3 horse years - reasonably rule of thumb, and yours is 4 coming 5 then he is around 13 -14 years old. Some kids that age are pretty biddable but when they are 18 it's a whole different game.

Keep at sensible stuff, be kind but clear and it might be roses all the way. I wouldn't rule out a Kevin stage until he is 8 (or 24 in human year equivalents)

Batgirl

Visit site
My Clydesdale - literally took and takes everything in his stride. lightly at backed at 3, now 6. You could have ridden him a week after I first put the saddle on and apart from baby wobbles you wouldn't have known! I love him.

teddypops

Visit site
My sec D has been a lovely girl the whole time I have owned her. 18 months to 11years. I broke her in myself with absolutely no help and she always tries her best. She is very very clever and once I have done something with her once, she knows what she is doing.

LadyGascoyne

Visit site
Yes - Mimosa is too good to be true.

She is very spirited and incredibly intelligent so she really lets you know her mind but she is never challenging or unpleasant. And she is just so inquisitive that she will never be backward thinking or stubborn, or reluctant in any way.

Everything is done with the charm and enthusiasm of a Labrador puppy. She’s fiercely loyal and the only time I’ve ever come off (totally my fault), she was back at my side in a split second and shaking and snorting to me with big eyes.

I do think though, that it could be different with her. I think if you tried to force her into things before she was ready, she’d probably be very over the top. Her confidence is what makes her spirited and not nervy. You need patience and a sense of humor and then it’s an absolute joy.

Scarlett

Visit site
Yup. Homebred mare, she's 8 now. Just took to everything first time. Is an absolute pleasure to be around, if a little too full of personality at times!

Visit site
I have a 16 yo TB cross who I broke as a 3/4 year old and has only thrown one whopper of a buck and one proper strop of a rear in her entire life. She’s one in a billion!

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
i broke my mare in and she was fine with everything in walk and trot. cantering was a bit exciting for her and she did buck a couple of times so i then only asked for canter going uphill and after a few canters up the hills she was then fine for the rest of her life, i lost her at 24 after 23years of ownership....

Jellymoon

Visit site
One of my connies who I’ve had since 3 and is now 9, hasn’t ever had a naughty phase. He’s always been a good boy, that’s just him. We are very lucky - enjoy it!
I’m not sure if the way I brought him on made any difference to that, but I guess he’s never been under that much pressure and I’ve tried to be patient, keep him sweet, and I always try to make sure he’s happy in his tack.

tda

Visit site
Yes, when I decided to get back into riding aged 28, ridden ponies were a bit out of my budget so bought a 2 yr old Dales/Fell type pony. I walked her for miles like a dog, my dad broke her to harness, I eventually just got on and rode her. She has never had any strops/bucks etc and was always happy to be out and doing, whatever it was. Never a world beater, but a true fun pony.
Enjoy your new horse and have fun x

Peregrine Falcon

Looking forward to drier days
Visit site
Yes, I have a 11yo homebred NF who I didn't back til 5 as not mature enough. She's always had a wonderful temperament.

Another NF pony I had from a foal was a complete doddle to back, easy to do and quick to learn.

In fact 4 of the ponies I bred and backed out the same mare were all pretty much easy to do and didn't have an awkward stage.

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
Yes, my pony has been largely untrained, she just does stuff first time of asking. There have been a handful of things that I have actually had to apply some training effort to, but by and large she just behaves without having been trained to do so.

My other mare has always been angelic to ride, but on the flip side she spent most of her 3 and 4 to years intermittently trying to kick my head in/bite my face off for the crime of putting a rug on/grooming/picking out feet/standing in the wrong place/wearing the wrong hat...

Littlebear

Visit site
Yes - I have one of those too, everything has been a complete walk in the park (hoping it stays that way)! Just has the kindest nature and wants to please you, a total joy.

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
This is what properly raised young horses are like. People think they need to do a million things with them to make them easier but actually they just need good basic handling and time out being a horse.
Enjoy!

Well, not really. You can read the OP that way I agree, but there is a difference between normal well brought up youngsters and the odd one who really requires next to no training effort at all.

ihatework

Visit site
None of my horses that I’ve had from a young age have been particularly difficult. They have all been athletic types so not necessarily brain dead dobbins, but all have had a generally good attitude to work, no management issues, can do most things to them etc.
The only one that was a little dodgy used to have sporadic broncing episodes, there was a reason for it I’m convinced, but never really found it.

southerncomfort

Visit site
So far my rising 5 year old (bought last Autumn) has been absolutely amazing.

He's taken everything in his stride and happily done everything I've asked of him. I've also been waiting for toys out of the pram moment but so far he's been good as gold.

I always think that if you go at their pace and ensure that everything you ask of them is fair and reasonable, and that you are always consistent in how you ask, then you are much less likely to have any major issues.

J&S

Visit site
Little coloured mare was bought unbroken at 3 and once started was totally onside forever. The NF mare, previous to her, had one big wobbler at 4 and went to the local breakers yard for a week and came home and was perfect from then on. I kept and am keeping them both all their lives.

sportsmansB

Visit site
Some of them have a 'been here before' feeling that just makes the whole process easier!

Just on the hanging to the gate, I'm sure you already know this but make sure you are getting off and rewarding at various points in the school other than the gate once you are finished

Tarragon

Visit site
I had one. I bought him as a 2 year old and he was just a joy to be with. One of those cheerful, brave and inquisitive ponies with which every new step was passed with flying colours. Sadly, he did grow to be big enough! I have Exmoor ponies, and he never grew above 12hh, so that missing 4 inches made all the difference sadly. If only he had made 13hh, he would have been my perfect pony.

MissTyc

Visit site
I bought my now 16yo gelding as an 18 month old. He is nothing special, looks or conformation wise, but he read the book and he has literally never put a foot wrong. He is good at *everything*, has never refused a fence, engages in every activity like he was born for it. He is easy on the ground, easy under saddle, and the joy of my life.
We have low ambitions but he goes double clear BE90 and qualifies for every championship up to Elementary dressage. I don't drive that far though lol ... He hunts, hacks, just the best.