Has anyone ever invented anything?

Flyermc

Visit site
Hello, im wondering if anyone can help?

Ive got a horsey invention and im not really sure what to do about it, has anyone ever invented anything and got it made?

Ive had alook on the internet and to be honest i got confused with it all, there seems to be afew different ways, ive also contacted an 'invention' company last year (can you tell this has been going on for awhile!!) but you seem to need alot of capatial to invest into it (which i havent got) the investment, also doesnt seem to be a set amount, that i could try and raise, it comes across as 'how longs a piece of string':( its a very good idea (infact i have 2 ideas) and google research doesnt show any samiliar products, but i do understand that this isnt a conclusive search. Ive contacted afew companies to get a one off to show (was even thinking of dragons den) but without getting a patent, the companies could still create there own.

Anyway im at abit of a loss, as to what to do? Im at the point where i very much feel like i should just tell a horsey company my idea for them to make/take the risk and then aleast i can buy one:)

Has anyone ever done this?

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
Before you do anything else, do make sure you get your idea copyrighted, or else someone else could copy it and make millions and there'd be nothing you could do about it.

Sorry I don't know how you could proceed on a practical basis with your project.......... but do know that it is important before anything else that you get copyright established as a priority, THEN start thinking about the rest of it.

iconique

Visit site
Contact the intellectual property office, they are really helpful, there are also a few grants and mentoring schemes out there for innovation, not sure where you are in the country?
I run an enterprise agency and have a 25% start up bursary for innovative per-starts, but its location specific. Pm me if you want to, can prob find someone in your area to help?

cremedemonthe

Was Caterham on the Hill, Surrey now Wales
Visit site
Yes, a few things actually, I have Design Rights and I have a Trade Mark too.
I can hopefully point you in the right direction, give me a PM and I will see if I can help, best advice I can give you though is keep it to yourself until it's well and truly protected. I recently had one of my best sellers copied and had the chase the person involved threatening legal action, which seems to have stopped it but even with all the legal protection you can buy, someone will always try to copy you!

Flyermc

Visit site
Hi, thank you very much.

When i looked into copyright, it seemed more aimed at logos and books rather than then an invention (its not mechanical more an object)

That would be brillent, if anyone can point me in the right direction, im in Tameside (Manchester) area, im going to have alook at the intellectual property office

How long does it roughly take, to go from idea, to production?

Pigeon

Visit site
I agree with others, I know nothing about it really, but protecting your idea legally would be the first step, I'd have thought :) Patent/copyright etc.

Love

Visit site
Spoken to mum :) She says before you disclose it to anybody you need to speak to a patent attorney who can advise you about patents and registered designs. It's important not to disclose it beforehand as this can invalidate a patent. Most firms will offer 30 mins free consultation. Just google a patent firm near you and give them a ring :)

(ps she's actually a trade mark attorney, got that bit wrong!)

serpentine

Visit site
To patent an idea, you have a huge process to go through which can be very expensive and timely. If its a horse based idea - why don't you approach a company ie Shires etc, and explain you have an idea, and would like to discuss it - they may be open to the idea, and buy your idea from you?

Jesstickle

Visit site
Also worth considering is that to patent you have to disclose. I work in science and I know that to patent anything we have to say exactly ow we are doing it. Lots of things it is better for us not to patent it and just sell it as that way no one else knows how we are doing it. Probaly different for something which once you see it it is obvious how it works mind you! Ten the patent might be worth having more

Love

Visit site
Do not tell anyone your idea as suggested above until it is patented! Or you have atleast discussed it with a patent firm! The company could take your idea and produce it themselves and you wouldn't have a leg to stand on without a patent or registered design.

dogatemysalad

Visit site
OH has made a couple of very useful horse related gadgets that aren't on the market. They are a godsend in time saving but he doesn't have the time or inclination market them.

My latest request is probably not something he can quickly cobble together from the garden shed though.

I'd like rubber soled, neoprene leg, hoof wellies that open to the bottom on two sides with Velcro tabs to close them and a grippy sole.

They'd be quick and easy to get on and off. I could then walk the horses across an icy yard or get them over poached gateways and take off in the field.

Spanny

Visit site
Whereabouts are you OP? I'm a patent attorney and Love's advice earlier is exactly right. Keep your idea confidential until you decide the best way to protect it. You can tell people about it - that can be essential e.g. If you're getting a prototype made etc, but have a record in writing that you're disclosing the idea in confidence. That way you have some comeback if they break your confidence by telling someone else without your permission.

Then, find a patent firm in your area and take advantage of the free consultation. A good attorney will be able to give you plenty advice on the different ways you could protect your idea. The patenting process is expensive, but also, it may not be the best form of protection for you. Once you've spoken to an attorney you should have a good idea of the available costs and options.

I'm on my phone so can't see where you're based, but I'm in Bristol. If that's anywhere handy I'm happy to pm you my work details.

Flyermc

Visit site
Thanks everyone, im in Tameside (Manchester)

I have through about talking to someone like Shires, but like everyone says i need to protect myself first. I think it would be a Design Rights that i need rather than a patent, its its not technical. Id love to set it up as my own business, but i certainly dont have the funds for that, but it would be great to get something ive designed made and selling! only people who know are my mum and OH, Ive been driving them mad for years with it.