Has anyone ever successfully dealt with splits in the corner of the mouth?

Caznay

Visit site
This keeps happening to one of my horses. We thought we'd cured it (anusol, bits wrapped in latex) and rode him last week - bingo. Mouth split AGAIN :-(

We could give him a month off but he gets miserable when not in work, absolutely loves his job.

He's mainly ridden in a NS universal.

Any advice welcome as its really beginning to impact on him.

SpringArising

Visit site
How much time are you giving him without a bit in his mouth to let it fully heal?

Are you riding with heavy hands without realising?

Bitless?

Batgirl

Visit site
Yes :)

Anusol is a bad idea for use when riding - it numbs the area a bit so more force is needed for a reaction leading to more split lip.

Look really carefully at the bit - I have found some NS bits get a bit 'rough' and therefore rub more than they should.
Try a different bit with a different action/pressure points(e.g. if you are using french link try single jointed, if you are using a gag try snaffle)
Check the size of the bit - too big or too small can add to lip splitting for different reasons.
Take a long hard objective look at your hands.
Take a long hard look at your 'brakes' - are you having to use too much hand to half halt/stop.

Caznay

Visit site
I will change his bit to something else. He had three months box rest a couple of years ago and it healed beautifully then! but obviously that isn't possible . Happy to give him a month off but he will need lunging, he's too strong for a hackamore I think

Caznay

Visit site
"
Anusol is a bad idea for use when riding - it numbs the area a bit so more force is needed for a reaction leading to more split lip."

That's really interesting. Waht can I use instead? I have manuka honey so could try that?

Sheep

Visit site
I will change his bit to something else. He had three months box rest a couple of years ago and it healed beautifully then! but obviously that isn't possible . Happy to give him a month off but he will need lunging, he's too strong for a hackamore I think

Has this problem been going on for years?
It might need more time to heal than 'normal' if the tissue has been repeatedly damaged?

SpringArising

Visit site
Has this problem been going on for years?
It might need more time to heal than 'normal' if the tissue has been repeatedly damaged?

Definitely. Poor thing, must be really uncomfortable.

Don't discard the idea of bitless either - lots of people assume that strong horses NEED a bit but actually find they are lighter in the hand in a bitless than a bitted bridle. It's 100% worth a try given that this is an ongoing issue - at least for the short term while it's healing.

Batgirl

Visit site
"
Anusol is a bad idea for use when riding - it numbs the area a bit so more force is needed for a reaction leading to more split lip."

That's really interesting. Waht can I use instead? I have manuka honey so could try that?

It depends what you are using it for if that makes sense - if for healing then manuka honey could be good, but if for lubrication you would be better using something oily. I would perhaps have something healing for 'after' and something lubricating for while riding.

mandyroberts

Visit site
Wash his mouth/lips thoroughly after riding, One of my horses seemed to react to his own excess salivar and if I washed his mouth (I don't mean right inside) he was fine

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I have a vague recollection of some horses reacting to the salox of NS bits, no idea if that might be implicated.

holeymoley

Visit site
No idea but once it does heal probably an idea to use some Vaseline around the corners before you tack up so that the bit’s not rubbing on dry skin.

blitznbobs

Visit site
or bit butter... i know it's expensive but i love the smell and it doubles up as hand cream... (yes i do use horse products for me but seriously why can't human products smell like bit butter?

soloequestrian

Visit site
Sorry, but this seems an odd question with fairly odd answers. Why not just go bitless? There are all sorts of different non-bits, with varying levels of severity depending on how you use them. As someone else said, you might also find that the horse is less strong when bitless. I ride one of mine in a hackamore and although it's definitely not as accurate to use as a bit, it has plenty of stopping power if I ever needed it.

Clodagh

Visit site
My Dads horse, who pulled like a train, badly damaged his tongue and had to go in a hackamore, actually he was OK overall, but I took him hunting and nearly died.
I think any horse would be rideable in a bitless, at least quietly to start with and it sounds as though he needs some serious time without a bit to recover. Have you been using the same bit all along even with the constant splitting? Perhaps a change (once healed) would be an idea.

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
This keeps happening to one of my horses. We thought we'd cured it (anusol, bits wrapped in latex) and rode him last week - bingo. Mouth split AGAIN :-(

We could give him a month off but he gets miserable when not in work, absolutely loves his job.

Is he leaning more one way when you ride him.
Maybe check teeth
physio
put rubber bit rings as some who produce saliva and their lips dry when it is cold
Put vaseline in the corners
baby rash cream
coconut oil
bongella
try a combination hackamore so less pressure on the corners.
Is the bit the right size and not too much play in it

Just some of the things which come to mind

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site

What is his job?

I think the first thing you need to do is stop using a bit which has an upward action into the corner of the lips. If he needs a bit with poll pressure, then I would move to a Pelham where the upward movement is restricted by the curb chain and the action kept down on the bars more.

Last edited:

huskydamage

Visit site
I think the only way you will totally get rid of them is not using a bit. I started riding my pony bitless after her mouth got cut after I took her hunting (she gets quite strong and silly). I never went back to a bit permanently after that. The skin round her mouth is perfect now not a mark on it, I'd never seen it like that pre-bitless. It was normal to have a split or crusty skin in the corners.

tankgirl1

Visit site
Bitless seems to be the obvious answer. Some hackamores are actually quite brutal from my limited understanding so I'm not sure I agree with the idea that any horse is too strong for a hackamore

Irishdan

Visit site
My ex racer came to me with fairly bad scarring on her lips. Had a real job stopping them splitting especially in Spring for some reason. Used Alum powder with some success but recently finding bit butter is working well if applied before ridden work.

Goldenstar

Visit site
Get a ACPAT vet Physio ( who has done wound work in the NHS ) to laser the area followed by a period bit free .
Any bit with any poll pressure will tend to make it worse .
I bought H my younger ID with terrible tears in his mouth I would never buy a horse like that again .
Lots of over the counter products for mouth ulcers work well I think my favourite is called igloo .