has anyone every experienced a major blow up on a horse???

trefnantblackknight

Visit site
In addition to all the other good advice you've already had, I suggest you start riding with a neckstrap until you get his behaviour under control.
Grab it with one hand (or even both), when he starts playing up, it will at least stop you from catching his mouth and pulling him over. I know he didn't go over this time, but next time you might not be so lucky.

He wears a breast strap which I normall grab along with his mane but honestly he blew up so suddenly I didn't have time to do anything but try and stay on... not my best moved

normally he backs up abit before he rears so I have time to grab something but this time it was just so much worse...

trefnantblackknight

Visit site
Why are you feeding at all if he is fat?? Carrots are equine haribo too. Cut it ALL out, then see if he's any different.

He's not really fat, he winters awful but he's not starving either, the reason he has a feed is to have his joint supplement EquiFlex and all the others get fed :D

But will cut out all his carrots and apples

Cobiau Cymreig Wyllt

Visit site
My late-cut 9 yo D is similar. He is non-ridden for various reasons (probably a good job). He is ultra riggy in mind set. Rig calm really helps, as does forage plus as a balancer (mag ox, selenium, linseed and lots of good stuff). He does the dragon on a lead rope impression too, although can have been utterly terrified of swirling leaves 5 mins earlier. He basically just a bit of a hysterical drama queen, tho an utter gentleman when nobody expects anything out of the ordinary of him. Yes, I have asked myself frequently why I bother...but there you go.

kerrieberry2

Visit site
Why are you feeding at all if he is fat?? Carrots are equine haribo too. Cut it ALL out, then see if he's any different.

that's what I just wondered?

also if he's a right, even though the mare is out of sight he might still be able to smell her and that might be winding him up? is he a proper rig? are you not able to have him sorted out? or is he just riggy in his behaviour?

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
We had a D xtb who would go bonkers at times, eventually even in hand, to the point where we were seriously considering pts . We discovered that she was intollerant of sugar and cereals, when these were eliminated from her diet she changed completely, this is the first thing I would look at if I were the OP

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
He's not really fat, he winters awful but he's not starving either, the reason he has a feed is to have his joint supplement EquiFlex and all the others get fed :D

But will cut out all his carrots and apples

What is in EquiFlex? If it is glucosamine, I would stop that as it is incredibly sweet. I've had a horse react badly to it, in the past. You could give linseed & starflower oil instead.