Has anyone found a hidden gem?

slumdog

Visit site
I was just browsing Facebook and the huge amount of ponies and horses that are being sold for pennies or given away for nothing. I'm not in the position for another one yet, but it did make me wonder if some of them could be a potential bargain for somebody to bring on.

Has anyone ever found a complete bargain that's turned into a superstar?

Spangie

Visit site
About 18 months ago, took a gamble on this.... (bought for 500 euros)

attachment.php

she has blossomed into this

attachment.php

this week I have taken another gamble on this fella (800 euros). fingers crossed he also blossoms!

attachment.php

Prince33Sp4rkle

Visit site
mine and NMT's.

ok they were *normal* money-CS £1000 and Fig £1300 but to buy something competing PSG,schooling GP, or to buy something competing elem and schooling towards PSG.........................................bargainous!

_GG_

Visit site
Well, Molly was £400 and came to me from the field as a rising 4 yr old looking like this...

Molly5_zpsdebff7a0.jpg

to this...

Molly3_zpsef7c2595.jpg

She moves like a dream as well :smile3:

NellRosk

Visit site
Yes, I bought an obese, lazy 10 year old ID quite cheap that had done nothing and now have the most fabulous show horse/ hunter/ SJ that anyone could ever wish for. Definite horse of a lifetime :D

SpottyTB

Visit site
I bought a pure bred welsh D mare for £500, picked her up, backed her and then my friend took her on (this is how we did it, i backed she hacked then back to me to jump usually) to educate her in hacking/traffic.. sold her for just under £2k and she is now jumping 1m with a 13 year old girl - she's a cracking horse. I chose her out of 30, loose in the field cantering around me! :p luck i guess..

nikkimariet

Visit site
mine and NMT's.

ok they were *normal* money-CS £1000 and Fig £1300 but to buy something competing PSG,schooling GP, or to buy something competing elem and schooling towards PSG.........................................bargainous!

Fig was £1,100 dude! Including £100 livery and delivery :)

kirstykate

Visit site
Yep we have and he is a super star in the making[video=youtube;x5CwnYTZSZY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5CwnYTZSZY[/video]

Toffee_monster

Visit site
I think my boy fits into this category.
I paid £300 for him, his tack and groomng kit amd he was godawfully fat and a bit evil and i was told he was deemed dangerous on the roads (after i had bought him though), but nearly a year later and he is a real gem.
Weve come home with lots of rosettes already and qualified for national driving championships at addington and he really is anyones ride, everyone loves him :)

WelshD

Visit site
I paid £150 a year ago for a pony with bad sweet itch but that was bred by one of the top welsh sec A studs, his pedigree is excellent and he moves beautifully. Sweet itch under control he is off to his first show next weekend.

From the same people i bought an unregistered welshie who is shaping up to be a nice little thing poss show hunter or working hunter pony material, £150 again

I have a rubbish pain in the arse, scratchy, whingey, ugly kitten that i paid £450 for

Im pretty sure i know which was the best value for money :D

Spotsrock

Visit site
As I pounced round the school on my big ottb this morning bought for a song and slowly brought on myself I couldn't help remembering a rhyme my farrier told me, think of the tune of the old Mercedes ditty

Won't somebody buy me a big horse that bends,
My friends all have warmbloods I must make a mends,
Oh lord won't you find me a big horse that bends.

Buglet was a real bargain.

Lolo

Visit site
Reg is loaned, but was a superstar in disguise. He isn't achieving the dizzying heights of the Sparkle Sister's boys who are amazing but he's doing his bit for ex-racers pretty well I reckon :D He was a scrappy, scruffy, gangly horse who couldn't canter round a field without falling over. Now a score over 35 is disappointing, he's on the PC A team for dressage, came 8th at PC area intermediate eventing beating horses with serious BE points under their belts and a BE Novice debut is planned... He's a true allrounder really, you couldn't wish for a nicer, happier horse.

princestar

Visit site
I paid £300 for my horse as a 5 1/2 year old unbroken gelding ,who was advertised on the Internet as a companion. He's now hacking alone and in company, doing some schooling and now starting to do a bit more. He went to his first inhand show only a month after i got him. He's a happy friendly lad and a horse of a lifetime. When I brought him, the lady who sold me him said he could only be a companion, the yard owner didn't want me to have him on the yard, so I told her I'd go elsewhere, to which she quickly changed her mind as I was taking my money elsewhere, then she told me he was too much and I'd never ride him, and I think even my friend doubted him for a while. Truly 'a diamond in the rough' and I adore the hooves he stands on :)

blood_magik

Visit site
Beau wasn't exactly cheap but I still think we got a bargain when we bought him.
He was an ugly, skinny thing with legs that were far too long for him to know what to do with. the number of times the big klutz kicked me when we were walking out in-hand is unreal.

He's turning out to be a jumping schoolmaster at the grand old age of 7. :p
I really think that he could go all the way if we do things properly.
He's ready to take a step up to Foxhunter now - not bad for a horse that only started competing BN at the end of January. It will be interesting to see how he copes with something a bit more technical given that height isn't really an issue for him. :)

zoelouisem

Visit site
My daughters pony was cheap from a dealer friend she was in a feild not doing much.
She's taken my then 8 year old daughter to now 9 year old round 80cm classes wins jumping all the time and about to BS her. She's also done all PC camp rallies and been on teams for dressage and SJ.
She's an real angel in disguise 100% in every aspect. All for very cheap. Ponies like her are often sold £4-5 K on the PC circuit!!

kellybee

Visit site
I paid £125 for our 16yr old shetland. We were told she'd been everywhere, won everything and was an absolute mother's dream. Knew something was amiss because shetlands like her are like golddust and definitely sell for more than we paid, but she seemed quiet when we tried her so bought her straight home. Put her on working livery and was ridden by my niece maybe once a month as was winter and little un was only 2 at the time.

She jumps like a horse, really takes care of the kids and has never ever (with the exception of a lack of respect for fencing/hedges/other horses) put a hoof wrong. Then by chance the breeder saw a photo of her online and contacted me to say she gave pony away free to a good home because she was an absolute horror to own - biting, kicking, charging at people in field, would rear up if tied and box out with her legs. She said she gave her to a forever home as bad conformation and horrible manners meant she was no use as a brood mare. She said she couldn't even be used as a lawnmower because she's laminitic.

Then when I told her what we'd been doing with her she was absolutely horrified and said the pony (remember she's 16yrs) had never been ridden in her life. We'd put her straight in the riding school!! I said the person she gave her to must have done all the work, at which point she dug out the paperwork, and said she'd rehomed her on the 25th of October 2010 - the day before I bought her!! So the woman I bought her from who was openly a dealer took the pony with every intention of selling her straight on. Horrible, horrible person who was later prosecuted for selling loaned horses etc.

BUT, in a strange way that woman really did me and our little shetland a favour. I'd never have bought the pony if I'd known the truth, yet she's still never put a foot wrong and as long as I'm alive she'll never be rehomed again. I was offered £1,000 for her recently which I politely declined. They begged me to give them first refusal when the kids outgrow her, but I kind of feel like she was always meant to be ours.

942268_10151650763466189_1953703630_n.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:

Rhodders

Visit site
I bought Rhodri for £150 as a scrawny, dreadlock covered, unhandled yerling. He's just turned three and is just a joy to own, looking forward to backing him at the end of the year.
942713_10151548243222219_560177294_n.jpg

1005741_10151540664617219_1368171318_n.jpg

Last edited:

toomanyhorses26

Visit site
Up until about 6 months ago I would have said my mare - purchased for £50 as she was on her way to potters as she had terrified the owners daughter. Don't get me wrong I have never fallen off a horse so much but we ended up winning best riding horse,best rider and best mare on our way to reserve champion at our last show :) Sadly I chose to puther out on loan due to work and she came back broken and was put to sleep two weeks ago. She taught me more about riding than any other horse and I guess taught me how to be a rider rather than a passenger - can never repay her for how much she gave me

MontyandZoom

Visit site
Zoomy was actually featured in a H&H article about horses that cost £1 and ended up being amazing. I was really chuffed to be picked for the story, we were alongside horses like Mr President!! :D

Zoom was a pololpony and only has one eye so isn't worth anything. She's not at the level of a lot of horses on here but has taken me to my first dressage, cross-country, sponspored rides and hunting and even popped out a stunning foal for us. Love her lots!!!

puss

Visit site
Yes I bought mine from meat man he will jump anything medium to advanced dressage and great to hack. Downside hes lethal to handle oh well cant win them all

vickyb

Visit site
I bought a pony for £50 from a meat man. He had a terrible cough, was 5, 12.2. built like the proverbial and unbroken. I turned him away for the summer and he recovered from the cough. Backed him easily - he would go along with whatever you wanted to do, the 'anything for a quiet life' sort of pony. He went on to become an ace first pony for many children, but was chunky enough for a small adult as well. I was so pleased that such a lovely pony hadn't ended his short life on a hook.