Has anyone got a dog with glaucoma?

Pr1nce

Visit site
My 12 y/o cocker spaniel has been diagnosed with glaucoma in one eye :(

My vet has said the only thing we can really do is remove the eye, there is medication available but is apparently very rarely successful in controlling the pain/symptoms.

I have this niggling voice in the back of my mind questioning if it is really fair to go ahead with this :confused: The vet did say that it isn't an overly major op and shouldn't be too hard on him as he is already blind in that eye due to the glaucoma.

The vet has not at any point suggested that i should consider putting him to sleep and when i asked him if he would go ahead with removing an eye on one of his dogs in this situation he said that he definitely would. My parents on the other hand are telling me i am cruel and selfish for even considering going ahead with this :(

Does anyone have any experiences with having an eye removed in an older dog?

twiglet84

Visit site
We have recently done two enucleations for glaucoma patients. Case 1 was a 12 year old dog which was very painful and this wasn't bring controlled with analgesia. Dog recovered well and is very happy. The second case a 3 year old dog with bilateral glaucoma, we removed both eyes, the dig was already blind and adjusted well but the pressure in the eyes was very painful so there was only 2 options, PTS or operate. Dog is so happy now and recovered really well. I'd personally go for surgery xx good luck tho x

Umbongo

Visit site
Not a dog but I have a cat that had glaucoma. He had his eye removed at 10 years old. The glaucoma was very painful for him and he is a much happier cat now.

Obviously there is more of a risk with older animals but if your dog is healthy in every other way then I would consider the operation. The vets can run pre-op bloods before administering anything, he would probably be on a drip to help his recovery and blood pressure checks throughout.

I work in a vets and we performed an enucleation on a 11 year old dog a few weeks ago. His recovery time was a bit slower than a younger dog but he is doing very well now.

Last edited:

Skippys Mum

Visit site
I'm a dog groomer and you would be surprised at how many dogs I see who have had eyes removed with glaucoma. Invariably, they go on to have happy fulfilled lives. None of them seem to have problems and all of them are far far happier after the op.

My friends old dog (13 years old) had his eye removed recently. He is doing very well and is very happy - although he has been renamed Patch ;)

Pr1nce

Visit site
Thank you everyone, it's reassuring to see these success stories :) I think i am definitely going to go ahead with the op, and will ask for the pre op bloods to be run first to make sure everything else is ok.

Now it's time to get creative and find the £300-£400 to pay for it :eek:

ladyearl

vvv
Not me but a friend's dog has and has just had her second eye removed so is totally blind but she's a happy dog and having a great time learning how to work in a world without eyes. Honestly you wouldn't believe how fantastic and full this dog's life is. I understand the condition is very painful so I wouldn't hesitate to go ahead and let your dog live a pain free and hopefully long and happy one eyed life!

hayley.t

Visit site
It does depend on how bad the glaucoma is, I am a vet nurse and also have a dog with mild glaucoma, we have managed to get it under control Trusopt drops but I am prepared for enucleation when/ if this stops working.