Has anyone got an Equine Sun switch?

kerilli

Visit site
yes, i've got 2 of their lights on frames in 2 stables, i really rate them. good company, good service, good quality stuff. been up a few years and never had a problem. i'd really recommend them. OH made a framework and fitted them all very easily.
having said which...
a friend bought patio heater lights from DIY store and installed those, iirc they are a lot cheaper and do the same job...

YasandCrystal

Visit site
I have used the patio heater for my pony. He is only tiny and the heater is height adjustable. You can get the wall mounted halogen ones which are directional, as Kerilli says - they are cheap and fixable at any height :)

Chamfrom

Visit site
Oh brill thanks! Thanks too Becca!! I have just been checking out and comparing the web site details and the SunSwitch is a lower protection rating of IP54 (dust and water splash) and the Electric fence one you gave me is IP55 (dust and water jet) which would be useful to me as I intend this to go in a wash box. The other interesting thing is that the Sunswitch is 1.3kw and the EF one is 1.5 or 2kw - so at a guess more powerful!
Oh I am so glad you posted this web address. Please keep in touch to let me know how you get on with it. May be 'buy cheap buy twice' is not always the thing! thanks again guys! I shall dig around on the web site a bit more!

becca1305

Visit site
Yeh thats what I did compared the two before buying as it was so much cheaper! Im *trying* to get them up asap but awaiting on the one in the household with an electronics and engineering degree as Id be entirely hopeless and end up electrocuting myself. I believe you are supposed to get an electrician to do them because they are being wired into the mains. From the statistics they look to be better than the sunswitch ones its not like the infos vague so I *think* its a winner but you never know. I believe sunswitch are only that expensive as they spotted a niche in the market for people who didnt want to spend thousands on a solarium and marketed it. Will let you know when I finally get mine up and working!! :)

Chamfrom

Visit site
Becca - that looks really interesting. I had a dig about after I last typed and was a little wrong as I was looking at the wrong product, but can see that the Sunswitch price for 2 lights, £20 less with the other company and you get 2 lights, so thats a considerable difference. However would like to try to find a timer that can be connected to them for a horse safety point of view... wouldnt like them to come out all crispy!! lol - mind like a siv! please keep me posted with how you get on, wee need to talk to our sparkies who installed out electrics to make sure it can take the extra as they have run the yard electrics from the house.... phew its all so complicated! thanks

becca1305

Visit site
oh yeh they have loads of different options. I opted for these http://www.Electricfence-online.co..../horse-solarium-dryer-kit-3x1-3kw-771718.html £550.
instead of the equine sunswitch solarium deluxe. £811
as far as I can gather the lights are exactly the same standard and both sets come so you can alter the temp/intensity of each individual lights.

You can buy the timers from electric fence 3 for £300. Total £850
or the set from sunswitch is an extra £349 on their deluxe set. Total £1160

But I would think you could with electric fence have two controllers- one 4kw (£100) and one 6kw (£139) and have the two side lights attached to the 6kw timer and the back light attached to the 4kw one which would save you another £61 again :)

thats for the sets of 3 lights though, I went for those so they covered each side and hindquarters :). seems to be a lot cheaper with their 2 set packages as well :)
will let you know how I get on with mine if they EVER get put up!

Last edited:

Chamfrom

Visit site
Thats brill thanks - you deff get more for your money dont you! - saving hard and hope to move on this in a month or two so let me know how you get on! :) tanks! x