Has anyone got exmoors/ exmoor crosses?

widget

Visit site
I'd love to know more about them- would they carry me? I'm 5ft4 and about 8.5 stone. Any bloodlines particularly good? Bad?
What do you do with them?
Any specific health issues?
What crosses are there?

My friend has just bought a exmoor stallion and he's amazing! Thinking my next pony could be an exmoor but loving in Wales we don't see many!

be positive

Visit site
I had one in to break a few years ago, she was really sweet and very easy despite being about 10 years old and used as a brood mare until she came to me.

They are weight carriers, not that you are heavy, 8.5 stone will be no problem to an Exmoor.
They are very good-doers like most native breeds and laminitis would potentially be the main thing to be aware of, minimal feeding required.

ellis9905

Visit site
im no expert but can answer some of the questions- yes they will carry you, a full up exmoors weight carrying abilities is around 12- 12 1/2 stone ( provided fit and well)

exmoor seems to be prone to sweetitch

i love tawbitts exmoors ( maybe because the first one i fell in love with was a tawbitts!)

rose bud

Visit site
Hi, I used to have an exmoor x (not sure what he was x'd with though :) he was 13hh and I am 10.4 st and 5'5" and he carried me no problems.
He lived on fresh air and was a great little character, he did have sweet itch but it was manageable.

lizzypeg

Visit site
if you are in wales then dai and rith thomas in brecon breed exmoors.and always have some for sale.
there prefix ic cody wern..
sure you can get there contact details from the exmoor pony society.
hope this helps

icemaiden113

Visit site
I have a 12hh exmoor mare (see sig pic)

She hunts, sj's, xc and shows (workers).

She is difficult, stubborn, quirky, naughty, bucks, bolts and likes looking at me on the floor.

However I love her eternally and she has the most amazing character.

My advice is don't do it! lol

MuesliMoo

Visit site
I have a 12.3h exmoor, I'm 5'5 and just under 9 stone and she carries me with no problems - when she's fully fit I'll happily put 11 - 12 stone on her (I've only had her since Jan and still fittening her up/sorting issues out!). Exmoors are generally pretty good weight carriers for their size, and many of them are better off with adult riders as they can be quite strong. If Hoopy was horse sized I think she'd be quite a handful lol

Bloodlines wise have a look on exmoor pony talk forum - a list of all the herds and photos of ponies from them is currently being compiled. It depends what sort of thing you're looking for, but take a look at the different herds and see what you like the look of :)

I'm planning to do a bit of everything with my pony, they can be brilliant all rounders, and there's a few doing long distance/endurance riding. In fact 2 exmoors I believe completed the golden horseshoe last year.

All the exmoors I've met have got amazing characters, that's one of the reasons I was attracted to them. Hoopy is a real character, she can come across as stubborn, but if you ask her questions in the right way she'll try her hardest to answer them! She's extremely intelligent, picks up things very quickly. I do think exmoors need a particular, "understanding" handling - if you get cross with them or angry then they'll get crosser and angrier back, more so than other horses I think. However once you have a good bond with them they'll try their hearts out for you :)

My girlie - Dunkery Hoopoe 78/139

P1050266.jpg

Hoopy004-1.jpg

Hoopy8.jpg

Hoopylooseschool043.jpg

Be warned though - they tend to come in herds, once you have one exmoor you want more and more lol

Highlands

Visit site
Lovely ponies, I have brought my last 4 highlands off people with ex moors, lucky charms for us . Not brought a bad highland so hey must be lucky!

Phoebe+Sophie

Visit site
I have a part bred exmoor mare. She is exmoor x welsh section c. I love her character and cheeky craftiness and she is as stubborn as an old goat.:p She is so clever and quirky and is very particular about who handles her or rides her. It took me a half a year to bond with her and now I know her inside out. I haven't meet any exmoors but she seems to fit others descriptions. I'm 5'4"/5'5" and 8.5 stone and she is 12.3hh and half an inch. If she was a horse I think she would be a right handful.:D

Last edited:

0ldmare

Visit site
My gorgeous old mare is 3/4 TB 1/4 exmoor :) She's 15.2 and in the summer looks like a full TB but in the winter oh boy does she get an exmoor winter coat :eek: :D

I appreciate she's only very part bred but she wonderful. If she's a typical exmoor x then its a great shame there aren't more of them :)

MuesliMoo

Visit site

rowy

Visit site
This is my 4 year old exmoor- I am 5ft6 and about 9 stone (of muscle ;) )
010.jpg

004.jpg

She is mega fun to ride and carries me easy. She is about 12hh in front and 12.2hh behind so gonna grow to be full up to height.

niks462

New User
Visit site
I have a 10 year old Exmoor who was only broken to ride this year! Within 3 weeks of coming in from the field she was walk, trot, canter and goes over poles, shes a star!
She was a complete impulse buy and was brought off the field after just going to pick up hay at a local farm! She is by far the best breed I have ever owned, she was always perfect as just a pet let alone now being able to ride her!
Very affectionate, loyal and generally lovely character.

Whilst there are other Exmoor owners on here I need some general advice re saddles, I have had the saddle fitter out and he has suggested a close contact Pessoa for her as he is having great difficulty fitting her! (very flat/broad back!)

What does everyone else use on there Exmoor's, any comments re the Native Pony saddles? Haven't heard much about them.
I was also thinking of going for a treeless saddle?

Any advice greatly appreciated,

Oh and YES most certainly go for an Exmoor!!

MuesliMoo

Visit site
Whilst there are other Exmoor owners on here I need some general advice re saddles, I have had the saddle fitter out and he has suggested a close contact Pessoa for her as he is having great difficulty fitting her! (very flat/broad back!)

What does everyone else use on there Exmoor's, any comments re the Native Pony saddles? Haven't heard much about them.
I was also thinking of going for a treeless saddle?

Any advice greatly appreciated,

Oh and YES most certainly go for an Exmoor!!

I would recommend the Native Pony Saddle Company, I had a bit of a nightmare trying to find a saddle for Hoop because not only is she very flat, but also has some muscle wastage from being out of work. Stephanie Bloom, one of their fitters came out numerous times to sort out a saddle for us, and I now have a gorgeous saddle which fits :D Was very impressed with her knowledge and saddle fitting ability - if she can fit my awkward pony I'm sure she can fit anything hehe. I went with a Sienna WH, it's got a deep enough seat for me to feel secure, but is also a straightish cut to allow shoulder movement.

NariNags

Visit site
i have a 4 year old 13.3hh exmoor x american 1/4 horse and hes fantastic opinionated but fantastic , hardy brave does like to go bounce if excited but a fab kiddies pony
Nari

tess1

Visit site
I don't know whereabouts in Wales you are, but Dai and Ruth are having an open day at the end of this month at their Exmoor stud, and there will be a horse agility display by an Exmoor as well. Lots of ponies for you to see and people to talk Exmoor with. I can pass on the details if you are interested - pm me just incase it's deemed as advertising.