Has anyone had a new floor put in their lorry?

flatcoat2

Visit site
I just wondered if anyone has replaced their lorry floor? Mine is going to need replacing in one place quite soon. I am about to ring up for quotes and advice cos its a job my OH can probably do. I just wondered if anyone has any experience of this?

lastresort

Visit site
Hubbys job- I think that it needs to be taken into consideration the bit your fixing too. Also how the body is fixed onto the chassis as some cant have a section done . He is the expert not me but I have heard him say this before!

flatcoat2

Visit site
Thanks, i have had it a year and looking at it closely it has had a section replaced before. My OH seems to think it has an under floor as well, so we can cut out the section on top and just replace that. I am about to ring the bloke who originally made the lorry to find out how it is built, so hopefully he will enlighten me.

christine48

Visit site
Ensure that the metal struts supporting the floor are no more than 12inches apart. A friend's horse recently went through a newish floor because of this

lastresort

Visit site
Make sure its right as he has seen so many awful things from people doing DIY and not checking things out first- Im sure you will but i thinks its not as straight forward as it seems, something to do with the body being attached to the floor and the supports

Good luck, if you pm me the details i might be able to find out for you

OWLIE185

Visit site
Firstly empty everything out of the lorry partitions etc.

You need to remove all the flooring on the floor and ramp in one go. If it is rotten in one area it will be rotten elsewhere even though it might be difficult to detect. If it is a spring sprung ramp you will need to weigh it down as without the wood it will be like a mouse trap and spring up!

Once the floor is all removed the metal cross members and angled side supports need to be cleaned and checked for rust and welded where necessary. Then prime all the metal cross members and angled side supports.

Replace the planking.

Replace the boarding with marine grade ply.

Replace the rubber matting.