Has anyone heard of Toptani/Parkers Saddlery?

super ted

Visit site
Hello there, I'm hoping someone can help.

I have been given a Europa 2000 saddle by a friend as part of a job lot of tack. However it doesn't fit my horse so am looking at passing it on.

I have never heard of Toptani before and was hoping someone out there would know of it. My saddle seems to be well made and extremely comfortable, but before putting it for sale I wanted to know something about this brand. Their website is sparse to say the least.

Thank you for any replies.....I am just intrigued by a saddle claiming to be 'Made in England' coming from a maker I've never heard of.

catkin

Visit site
I had a lovely little Parker dressage saddle - was gutted when my horse outgrew it and it had to go to fund a replacement (never quite found one I've liked so much since!). Certainly is an English saddle - old established firm too.
Was extremely well made, comfortable and when we had it reflocked the flocking was lovely white wool which made us think that the inner construction was OK too.

PS google Toptani - he developed the spring tree. Parker's were saddlers who worked with him on it if I remember rightly

Last edited:

MadeleineDavies

New User
Visit site
Hello there, I'm hoping someone can help.

I have been given a Europa 2000 saddle by a friend as part of a job lot of tack. However it doesn't fit my horse so am looking at passing it on.

I have never heard of Toptani before and was hoping someone out there would know of it. My saddle seems to be well made and extremely comfortable, but before putting it for sale I wanted to know something about this brand. Their website is sparse to say the least.

Thank you for any replies.....I am just intrigued by a saddle claiming to be 'Made in England' coming from a maker I've never heard of.
Hi. Did you sell the Toptani saddle please?

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
I had a toptani mark 11 jumping saddle and loved it. My horse was half tb and had very high withers and it fitted him perfectly. I was gutted when our yard was raided and they took it. As my horse was so difficult to fit I rode on a sponge and roller for weeks , I then got another Parker saddle which I think was a europa and that was a good saddle as well. Mr Parker came and fitted it for me. This was in the dark ages around 1975 I think . They were a well known brand of saddles and not cheap

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
The one on my horse is the toptani jumping saddle and the other saddle was Parker’s and I thought it was the Europa but it was a very long time ago

Attachments

• IMG_2417.jpeg
    IMG_2417.jpeg
    42.6 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_2416.jpeg
    IMG_2416.jpeg
    35 KB · Views: 38

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
It was a very long time ago when I was in my 20’s and he was my first horse. I hesitated to post the pic as I thought you would criticise, my understanding of fit is very different now

Completely understand! It's just if someone references a saddle that fits perfectly and then posts a pic like that I have to comment, it would only contribute to people thinking a saddle that's too far forwards and tipping back is normal and a good fit. If anyone acknowledges they realise now it's not a great fit, I'll keep schtum, of course.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
Completely understand! It's just if someone references a saddle that fits perfectly and then posts a pic like that I have to comment, it would only contribute to people thinking a saddle that's too far forwards and tipping back is normal and a good fit. If anyone acknowledges they realise now it's not a great fit, I'll keep schtum, of course.

I assumed that people would realise how different things are now, the jumping saddle was second hand and was the only saddle we could find that came anywhere near fitting him, as you can see, in those days we always rode with a sheepskin and that I suppose would have protected his back a bit. I’m very glad I didn’t post the one with me on him as I would have got more flack😀😀

Goldenstar

Visit site
I had two toptani jumping saddles over the years this is way back they where one of the first modern style jumping saddles .
Named after Count Toptani who was the first person to think out the modern jumping position .
After what we had been jumping in they where a serious upgrade I loved mine .
Both came to me secondhand in the days when local saddlers kept lots of saddles . Both that remember where pretty narrow and would not fit the majority of modern sports horse types .
One of them had a strange story about it I was at a livery yard and somehow we got talking about old saddles and the owner to
d me a story about having to sell her favorite saddle a Toptani when she was very very broke and how she missed it . i said I have one in the attic she said has it a scratch in such a such a place .
I went home got it down and yes it did I sold it too her and she got it back .It then got stolen so she lost it again .

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
I had two toptani jumping saddles over the years this is way back they where one of the first modern style jumping saddles .
Named after Count Toptani who was the first person to think out the modern jumping position .
After what we had been jumping in they where a serious upgrade I loved mine .
Both came to me secondhand in the days when local saddlers kept lots of saddles . Both that remember where pretty narrow and would not fit the majority of modern sports horse types .
One of them had a strange story about it I was at a livery yard and somehow we got talking about old saddles and the owner to
d me a story about having to sell her favorite saddle a Toptani when she was very very broke and how she missed it . i said I have one in the attic she said has it a scratch in such a such a place .
I went home got it down and yes it did I sold it too her and she got it back .It then got stolen so she lost it again .

Mine got stolen as well!!! Hope it wasn’t the same saddle 🙂