Has anyone managed to trace a horse?

Evelyn

Visit site
I tried to find my first pony about 20 years ago, with little success. Suspect i will never know now what happened to her. The plan was to keep her until retirement as she really was everything and more to us as a family. Sadly we hit unexpected hard times (Dad was ill, house lost etc etc). So horses had to be sold (I will add she was on loan for ages but due to age etc we struggled to get another child for her - selling was a last resort!). I shut out any horse interaction until a few years later when I followed from an armchair basis!
Just wondered has anyone ever had any success in tracing horses many many years down the line?

Zoeypxo

Visit site
Have you seen the Trace my horse UK Facebook group?
Lots of people end up finding previous horses on there, not everyone but worth a try

Evelyn

Visit site
Have you seen the Trace my horse UK Facebook group?
Lots of people end up finding previous horses on there, not everyone but worth a try
I haven't - no! Will take a look. She would no longer be with us as she would be v old now! I never knew her past she had driven and done PPC. Truly wonderful girl. 🙂

BMA2

Visit site
I found an old horse as someone saw a message I'd posted 10 years ago...

Sold as we didn't get on but nice to see he was still going/I seem to have a eye for things that make old bones

Ratface

Visit site
Apart from one, where I discovered that I had seriously overhorsed myself, all mine have stayed with me for life. The one that didn't is now living his best successful eventing life with a friend of mine.

marmalade76

Visit site
I sold two twenty odd years ago. I was contacted re one by a post on here and the other by a post on Facebook but done years after I had posted and when the current owners had decided to search up their names. I then had a few that ended their lives with me and I've sold/rehomed a few since, two of whom went to friends of mine, the others kept in contact with via Facebook. Good luck 👍

poiuytrewq

Visit site
I've also kept mine, bar one that was only on loan and went back to his loaners parents when he retired- That was a very easy one as he is spoilt rotten now!

I traced the history of my first horse if that counts. It was pre FB etc and i put a photo in the back of Horse and Hound i think. A lady phoned me and told me all about him. It was really lovely, she was especially happy to have found him because the last she saw of him he was being loaded up loose with a load of others into the back of a cattle lorry in Scotland. She had no idea what had become of him until seeing my advert 10 years later.
We swapped loads of photos.

nagblagger

Visit site
I have been on the other side.
The passport agency contacted me saying an old owner was trying to trace 'my' horse, once I agreed they forwarded me their details. I then told her what I had done with the mare and that she had a home for life. It was reassuring closure for her after wondering for 10+ years.

Birker2020

Visit site
I tried to find my first pony about 20 years ago, with little success. Suspect i will never know now what happened to her. The plan was to keep her until retirement as she really was everything and more to us as a family. Sadly we hit unexpected hard times (Dad was ill, house lost etc etc). So horses had to be sold (I will add she was on loan for ages but due to age etc we struggled to get another child for her - selling was a last resort!). I shut out any horse interaction until a few years later when I followed from an armchair basis!
Just wondered has anyone ever had any success in tracing horses many many years down the line?
I didn't try to trace one but I wanted to find ithe history of my first horse Biggles who was a Grade B SJ that I'd bought off a dealer.

So I put an advert in Your Horse magazine in the tracing horses section and had his former groom contact me. This was way back in 1997. She lived down in Surrey and she used to groom for his previous owner, he'd been imported from Belgium and had done speed classes and SJ derby's abroad.

She was delighted to have found him and we corresponded for a time and then I invited her to come up and see him.

Charlotte and Nick drove up one weekend to visit us. My Mum and Dad joined us and they came to the house and then Dad took us all in the car to the yard.

I tacked him up and asked Charlotte if she wanted a ride and she fancied hacking out so we walked along side her down the lane catching up.

It totally made her day, she was so happy to have found Biggles as she'd been very fond of him.

Sadly I lost Biggles only weeks after she'd visited as a result of an accident sustained on a fun ride. She was heartbroken as was I, but was so glad she'd found him again.

Evelyn

Visit site
I didn't try to trace one but I wanted to find ithe history of my first horse Biggles who was a Grade B SJ that I'd bought off a dealer.

So I put an advert in Your Horse magazine in the tracing horses section and had his former groom contact me. This was way back in 1997. She lived down in Surrey and she used to groom for his previous owner, he'd been imported from Belgium and had done speed classes and SJ derby's abroad.

She was delighted to have found him and we corresponded for a time and then I invited her to come up and see him.

Charlotte and Nick drove up one weekend to visit us. My Mum and Dad joined us and they came to the house and then Dad took us all in the car to the yard.

I tacked him up and asked Charlotte if she wanted a ride and she fancied hacking out so we walked along side her down the lane catching up.

It totally made her day, she was so happy to have found Biggles as she'd been very fond of him.

Sadly I lost Biggles only weeks after she'd visited as a result of an accident sustained on a fun ride. She was heartbroken as was I, but was so glad she'd found him again.
That's incredible and also seems like it was meant to be. ❤️

w1bbler

Visit site
A few years back I bought a horse from a dealer. I searched his name on Facebook & found a several year old post from his first owner trying to trace him.
She came & met him a few weeks later & went for a ride, she was so happy.
I wasn't getting on that well with him & a few months later sold him back to her.