Has anyone on here done an Open University Degree?

HaffiesRock

Visit site
I am considering doing one, just wondered what people's experiences of it were?

I cant go to regular University so this is my only option.

Thanks

Suechoccy

Visit site
Yes I did one about 20 years ago. They were just introducing more online stuff, chatrooms, forums, etc as I finished. They also introduced aligning their working year with the usual academic working year as I finished too.

It is a hard slog. If you do a half-year equivalent each year on top of your normal life (full time work? family?) then it's six years to a degree. Years 1, 2 and 3 were ok. I was tired of it by year 4, hated and flunked year 5, and knuckled down to ensure I passed year 6 (which included retaking year 5).

I would guess it would be easier these days with the year aligned so you start in Oct, finish in June. Studying through dark winter days is much easier than through summer hols (when I did it, year ran Feb-Oct so Aug/Sept were wrappingup/revision for exams in Oct). Also easier now with all the online resources.

We had once a month tutorials (optional but well worth going to). The mix then was half exam at end of year and half was from various Tutor-Marked Assessments (TMAs) throughout the year (projects as homework) which were mainly very interesting.

The course materials (books, tv programs then, but more internet stuff now) were VERY well-put together.

At end of each year, just before exams, there was often a Revision Weekend or a Revision Day held for each course, where the tutors in each subject would go over "likely" questions in the exam. Quite often these likely questions were identical to the real question so the Revision Weekends/Days were VERY worth going.

I could never have gone to uni fulltime so I really appreciated the opportunity given by the OU. You do get a buzz out of it and ultimately it is rewarding and fulfilling too especially at the end when you look back and say "phew! I dunnit!"

HaffiesRock

Visit site
I'm doing one at the moment, full time whilst working full time. I'm really enjoying it :)

How are you finding it full time? Ideally that's what I would like to do, but I work 36 hours and have my pony so worry id struggle, but 6 years is a long time!

What are you studying? and can I ask how you are funding it?
Thanks Suechoccy, that was exactly the response I was after :eek:) What degree did you do? x

mynutmeg

Visit site
I'm doing at the moment to top my degree up so only have to do the equivalant of the third year (you can get credit transfer for previous study, but it does depend what qualification you want at the end).

I work full time, have my horse and care for my mom as well so am a little full on. I tried to do 2 30 credit (so half time) courses this year and simply couldn't manage both so am doing one now (exam next week, argh) and will do one again next year.

Funding wise you don't get bursaries or anything towards their fees but they have a group called OUSBA who pay the fees up front and you can pay them monthly with set arrangements.

Shutterbug

Visit site
I did an acess year for English Lit on open university, was hard work with 2 little kids but I enoyed it. Never did the degree though as other things got in the way

HaffiesRock

Visit site
I have looked into it before and not gone any further because of the costs, but it seems you can get a student loan now. I need to look at it on more detail, but I am seriously considering it. I cannot afford it without the loan though so fingers crossed for me :D

TelH

Visit site
I'm doing one :) I'm doing a 60 credit module at the moment and starting a 30 credit module in February. I work and have ponies too. You just need to be super organised with your time :) I started in Feb 2010 and should have an hons degree by Oct 2014 :)

Lady La La

Visit site
How are you finding it full time? Ideally that's what I would like to do, but I work 36 hours and have my pony so worry id struggle, but 6 years is a long time!

What are you studying? and can I ask how you are funding it?

Its OK doing it full time, I work 45 hours a week so tend to spend most of my evenings and weekends writing essays. I've got horses too, but I still manage to fit it all in, I'm just quite tired a lot of the time :p
I'm doing an English Lit and Lang degree full time, and a part time business degree - both of which are self funded (monthly installments.)

Shantara

Visit site
No, but I have worked at the OU!
While I was working there, someone had forgotten to give in their work and asked if they could submit it late. They were not allowed and flew from Germany to hand it in personally!! They got there a no more than 10mins before the deadline at midnight!

I was thinking of doing some sort of course, so I'll be following this thread too :)

Suechoccy

Visit site
The courses I studied were all 60 pointers....can't remember the exact titles of the courses now but I tried to choose stuff which was either a bit relevant to my job and a bit interesting to me as I was spending so much spare time doing it.

Year 1: Technology Foundation course (remember learning about U-values and insulation on houses)
Year 2: Design & Technology (seemed to be a technical drawing course)
Year 3: UK Economics covering the postwar period up to about 1960 (ok but heavy)
Year 4: Systems Management (hard versus soft systems management, seemed to be about mentioning the right buzzwords and ticking boxes but not much substance)
Year 5: another UK economics course probably 1960-80, which I totally screwed up and failed due to lack of being able to muster any interest in it at all, had to retake exam in year 6.
Year 6: a course on Environment, global recycling, globalisation. The most interesting course of them all along with the year 1 course.

So no specific thread running through that lot and I can't remember what they call it on the certificate...

JM

Visit site
I work as an Associate Lecturer for the OU - official title for tutor. I tutor on Biological Psychology and Neurobiology modules, as well as autism and mental health modules.
I really enjoy the work, work mainly from home and love the contact with students.
Most students find the OU a really good way to study for a degree, although there are always people that it does not suit.
If there is anything you need to know, please do PM me. The advisers you can ring and speak to are really helpful as well.

kirstie

Visit site
I have just started this year and so far am really enjoying it.
I think I am going to have to be super organised this year with work full time, two dogs, a horse, OU degree, planning my wedding for next year, going to the gym at least 3x a week plus finding time to sleep!

HaffiesRock

Visit site
Thanks everyone. Anyone else?

So far all good experiences :O) I might go for a full time option for the first year and see how it all fits in. I literally spend 3 hours each night sat on my laptop wasting time, so I know I could easily work 12 - 15 hours in the week, possibly an hour during work, and probably another 10 at the weekends, so could fit full time hours in.

Im definitely going to look the course options. x

Darcydoo

Visit site
I started one but never finished as hard work.Expected to put in 15hrs work per week which isn't much but on top of working F/T children were small and husbands new business was a bit of a non starter.I did enjoy the bit I did just couldn't keep up.

OldNag

Wasting my time successfully....
Visit site
I graduated about 10 yrs ago. I did mine in 5 years around a full-on full time job. I did 60 points most years and 90 points for the last wo years.
I thought the course material and tutorial support was excellent. I'd certainly recommend it.
What are you looking to study?

MrsHutt

Visit site
I did one about 15 years ago. I was working full time, had 2 babies and ran a house in a boarding school while doing it! Had no horses at the time, though! ;)

I thoroughly enjoyed it - it was all so interesting that I really didn't find it hard to find the time to do the study. It got so that at the time of year you registered for the next year's course, I was thinking about doing more courses just for the sake of it! I did start a Masters with them, but the littlest son got very ill and put paid to it.

I hope you do decide to go for it - it was very rewarding and meant I could go on to do what I wanted to do - teaching.

HaffiesRock

Visit site
I want to do Business Studies, but there are so many variants of it! I will more than likely do Business with accountancy or economics.

Im convinced I am going to do it now. I've see you can do a PGCE too. So can you really qualify as a teacher through the OU route? x

LisaS

Visit site
I did a MBA with the Open University (4 years non stop) while doing a full time job and 3 months after having my daughter (child no. 4) and I had child number 5 in my second year. I would not have the job I have now which gives me the salary to have 2 horses in full livery if I had not my done my OU degree.

Go for it, they are fab, you can do your course work around all your other commitments. Good luck :)

tankgirl1

Visit site
I did my first year in sciences whilst a stay at home single mum - keep thinking about following it up but just can't afford the time or money at the moment!

HBM1

Visit site
My son is just starting year 4 of his psychology degree. He loves it
Finds it hard work alongside a full time job but worth it. i would like to do something again at some point..not sure what though

Wobblywibble

Visit site
I am one course away fom honours now, it's taken 6 yrs working full time and some courses are easier than others in terms of commitment levels and the amount of required reading. I am quite fed up with it now and admit o doing the bare minimum just to get it over with. Being an impoverished single parent has meant my fees have been covered by grants :)

What suechoccy says is still true, despite 20yrs having passed. The organisation, course material and forums are excellent. I dd one year of distance learning Business Studies with a red brick uni and there was no comparison at all in the way it was run! The tutors for OU have all bar one (who I got replaced) been really supportive and easy to contact. Despite what Nah has said, I've never had any of my many requests for extensions denied.

jaye1780

Visit site
I've done 3 years with them and really enjoyed it :) Hard work but wort it! I used my credits to get onto a full time nursing degree but I would go back to OU after to finish psychology degree too. Good luck if you decide to go for it, most tutors are mega helpful and there are lots of forums/facebook help pages too x

Clannad48

Visit site
I did mine 10 years ago, you have to be able to time manage and hopefully have a supportive partner/ family. Summer school was brilliant, hours spent in the bar discussing the work, I learned so much. Even considering doing it again just to keep the grey cells ticking over.

jodie3

Visit site
I started one about ten years ago now, did the first year and really enjoyed it - even summer school which I was dreading! Then a combination of choosing an unsuitable course ( totally my fault not OU's), trying and failing to start my own business and ill health put a stop to it.

But I keep thinking of restarting it, and the ad for the OU which keeps coming up here feels like its calling me back too.

I had wanted to finish mine by the time I was 50, looks like I might make it by 60 if I start again asap.