has anyone paid for a horse whilst studying full time at uni?

TheMule

Visit site
Yes, by working through the holidays and having a part time job/ riding horses for people during term time. I wasn't that focused on my studies though! I did a science degree so plenty of time spent in lectures/ labs but not that much time working in my own time!

DirectorFury

Visit site
Yep, easily. I did online work (SEO) to pay for any non-essential extras (lessons and nice saddlecloths mainly!). I bought the horse as I was starting my second year of uni and have kept her all through my BSc, MSci, and I'm now going into the second year of my PhD and still have her. She's now on full livery as I have the money but not the time to do DIY.

My degree was in Computer Science, for the BSc I probably had 25 hours of lectures a week during term time (+ time spent working outside of lectures) but term was only 2 blocks of 10-12 weeks so relatively little time was actually spent in uni. With the MSci I had 6 hours of lectures/labs but I was easily doing 40 hours work in my own time.
Now with the PhD I just turn up for meetings with my supervisor once a month and as long as the work is done he's happy :p.

LittleVet

Visit site
I had mine for the last 2 and a half years of my vet degree although the final year he was on loan to a college due to me being all over the place on placement. I paid for him but mainly with savings from before uni as had no time to work once at uni!

Cocorules

Visit site
Yes but I lived at home and worked too. It was also in the days of no tuition fees and I got a full grant so not really comparable. I also had some savings before I started as it was in an era where child labour was fine and I had paid jobs from the age of 7.

Nowadays it is probably down to whether you can borrow enough and your degree is going to give you the earning power to pay it back.

In terms of juggling work and uni work it depends on your degree. Mine was fine but I suspect that vet or medicine would make it very tough.

MagicMelon

Visit site
I think it depends where you live, do you have rent/mortgage to pay as well as the horse or are you still living at home? I was still at home through uni which helped hugely, my parents basically (very very kindly) financed my horses until I began work after uni. I made extra cash for things like competing by buying summer project ponies to back, bring on and sell.

GemG

Visit site
If your still at home I'm sure you'd be fine .. you may need to do a bit of part time work and as long as your degree isn't massively challenging. I did equine science BSc and had a horse on DIY and worked part time... it was fine. Although I was never loaded! You just need to do the maths beforehand as a lot depends on where you are etc and what support you may or may not get. I had to work part time to make ends meet for sure.

MuddyMonster

Visit site
Yes, but I'm another that lived at home.

I loaned up until my first year and bought between my first & second year. I worked part time & full time hours over the holidays.

CrazyMare

Visit site
I kept mine on the same yard at home, lived part time in Leeds (hour and a half away). I bred my first foal during my BSc too. Parents were great and did lots of the work and helped fund it. I worked in my holidays.

Now on my MSc, funded three myself, with huge thanks to a very supportive husband.

Undecided

Visit site
Yes, worked two jobs during holidays (shop all day, restaurant/bar at night, and for a month would then go muck out at 1am while he was on box rest!) to pay for him, and had the maximum student loan available to pay for my accommodation, food, diesel etc.

Jinx94

Visit site
I bought mine during my second year, with my own money. My parents cut off regular financial support at that point, though still helped when things went pear shaped with my car.

I had a job at uni that reduced my hall fees, so my maintenance loan actually covered them, and then worked 15-24 hours a week as well.