Has anyone put an 18 YO + maiden in foal?

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
It's a friend of mine, just lost her gelding (full brother to mare). Foal would have a home for life. I think really she wants a replacement for him.

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
Mmm, I wouldn't.

No, that was my initial thought too. But then my own mare's dam was 18 when she had my girl, a year after she had her first foal. Just wondered what the actual risks were.

I know a horse that retired at 18 and ended up having 5 foals without any problems.

Thanks. That is quite amazing actually. All I can find regarding older mares is that they tend to be difficult to get into foal.

ElleSkywalker

As excited as Kitty about to be a bridesmaid
Visit site
I put my mare in foal at 17, she foaled at 18 no probs.

I started trying to put her in foal at 15, she just took a long time & a lot of money to take!

Risk wise, putting any mare in foal is risky, however older horses can take longer to get in foal, & possibly be more prone to abort, but the main risk for an older mare is to your pocket!

minesadouble

Visit site
I have. My old small hunter mare was covered at 19 and foaled at 20. Getting her in foal was a nightmare. She kept pooling fluid in her uterus, she was at stud for 6 months and cost me a fortune in keep and vets bills!

However once finally in foal all was well, she carried the foal fine, foaled quickly and easily, and she was an absolutely brilliant mum.

My vet advised me that my biggest difficulty may prove getting her to conceive, he told me that if she did take then then he would not expect her to have any problems carrying the foal or foaling due to her age. He proved prophetically correct :)

SaharaS

Visit site
I think many people will see breeding anything as wrong at the mo, so going to put my sensible head on, comment then leave before the mucking out weapons start getting flung! :D

If mare is checked out healthy & given the all clear by a stud vet..is the right condition/weight/health etc passes her swabs and takes and carries thru the pregnancy,then its just down to the owner to decide if she wants to take the risk..there will be an increased risk of colic/losing the mare as they age, but equally you stand to lose any mare. I think AI would be my ideal choice and if its meant to be, it will. Nature has ways of taking care of things. The hardest bit if she takes will be ensuring she stays in foal. I know mares who have successfully foaled at over 18, even 22 but if she's a maiden mare who's to know if she's not barren. Also think about having her insured but check out the policy regarding cover for breeding & what she is covered for vet bill wise so God forbid anything happens you can have a contingency plan/fund/idea how you would proceed.

First Time Mum

Visit site
hi my mare was a 17 year old maiden took on the first covering and apart from a broken elbow (long story) the birth was text book. The pregnancy involved 9 months box rest numerous xrays so should have been a complete nightmare but ended well.