Has anyone set up their own arena lighting?

Paint it Lucky

Visit site
The yard I'm at currently has no lights in the school, which is depressing now winter's here! The owner always rides in the day so doesn't need lights and isn't prepared to run a mains cable to the school as it's a bit of a distance away. I was wondering if I could set something up using solar lights? Has anyone doen anything like this? I am not sure which ones to get as not sure which will be bright enough. Also a lot seem to come on as soon as it gets dark, I'd prefer ones you can switch on and off manually. Any advice greatly appreciated!

beano

Visit site
If you can persuade her to run a cable, I schooled my just broken 4yo all last winter in the evenings using 2x screwfix site lamps (the ones with double head). One at A and one between B and M. You can angle the heads in different directions and these were so bright I could jump by them. I fixed to arena fence, covered them when not in use, and then used 2 long extension cables which I took in and out each time. Bit of a faff but quite worth it for me, as it was that or no riding.

budley95

Visit site
I'd be really interested to see these replies as well - we're currently in the process of setting up some lighting, we found ourselves a second hand generator and found the local DIY shop had some bright security lights that can be put on permanently - we're thinking scaffolding poles for height but not sure just yet. They'll be coming down at the end of winter and going into storage until next!

showjumpingfilly

Visit site
There was another thread a little while ago about lights you dont need mains for - i know spottedcat made a suggestion that i particularly liked the look of - will try and find you a link after dinner

Nicnac

Visit site
Sorry to be a damp squid, but be careful regarding planning permission. When I built my school I wasn't allowed to put lights up unless they were attached to an existing building. Luckily I could site them on the stables and garage and angle them so work fine, but wasn't able to put anything around the school itself even temporary :mad: