Has anyone stopped riding?

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
This is another reason the other livery & I stopped hacking tbh ?

It didn't seem right to carry on as normal when others were stuck inside - just a personal pov not a judgment on others who are hacking at all.

But they could go out on their pedal bike or on foot if they don't have a pedal bike. That is just the same as normal? I only hack very locally now, only up to an hour, whereas if I went out on my pedal bike I could do 4 hours. Or on foot, I could take a pack-up and be out for the same.

Everyone has different assets in their lives. It is like me saying that no one should post on FB videos or photos of their kids. I work in a primary school and really miss working with the kids. But, I simply smile and feel happy at their good fortune that they have little people to delight in baking, dancing, art etc.

Abi90

Visit site
Actually a fair few are if they are cocooning tbh - but I'm not judging or wanting an argument either thank you

No one has said you are judging. I just feel you are depriving yourself unnecessarily when the vast majority of people are going outside every day, and it really is the vast majority bar the few who are shielding. But that’s your choice.

Tihamandturkey

Visit site
No one has said you are judging. I just feel you are depriving yourself unnecessarily when the vast majority of people are going outside every day, and it really is the vast majority bar the few who are shielding. But that’s your choice.

Nope I'm being sensible too - spooky mare - riding in the arena is our limit atm - stay safe

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
Agreed, see my post 89. Unfortunately I don’t have an arena, so no riding at all.

See both of mine are much naughtier in the arena so I’m safer hacking ?. At first I didn’t post anything about riding but have posted a few pictures more recently. Most of my friends are horsey and nice people who on the whole don’t judge. There are tonnes of dog walkers, runners and cyclists out when I’m riding so I don’t see why I should be ashamed of riding.

Meredith

riding reluctantly into the sunset
the sat-nav is wrong, go farther up the hill
Visit site
I am not judging. See the end of my post 89.
( I cannot make multi quotes)

See both of mine are much naughtier in the arena so I’m safer hacking ?. At first I didn’t post anything about riding but have posted a few pictures more recently. Most of my friends are horsey and nice people who on the whole don’t judge. There are tonnes of dog walkers, runners and cyclists out when I’m riding so I don’t see why I should be ashamed of riding.

teapot

Visit site
So what’s behind this recent FB post from the BHS, then? Anyone know?

It was posted in the approved centres group (which is for the most part 'private' - you have to be working for/own a BHS centre to join) and I wonder whether there have been centres, not that I've seen any personally, post videos relating to say the toilet roll challenge or something?

There's a huge difference between keeping horses ticking over for fitnes/sanity/soundless reasons, and then taking the piss when it comes to doing stuff on horseback just because your business is shut, or you want some more instagram likes... Someone posting a photo of hacking out, 'view between the ears' type is NO different to me posting the views I have out running currently imho!

I've stopped riding because I've not had a choice (without my own) and I know the horses I'm training on are still in light work, so not too bad!

Last edited:

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
I am not judging. See the end of my post 89.
( I cannot make multi quotes)

Sorry I did not mean to imply you were judging I quoted your post simply to indicate my horses are better out hacking. Then went onto other things I should perhaps have started a new paragraph.

mavandkaz

Visit site
But no one is stuck inside, everyone is allowed out once a day to go for a walk, a jog, a bike ride or whatever they fancy

I know people who are shielding who are not leaving the house, at all. Luckily they do have a garden but there will be some who do not. So whilst others are walking/cycling/riding there are some who are very much stuck inside.

I also feel guilty about hacking out (can't really explain why) and at first only rode in the school and around private fields. I have now ventured out but it doesn't sit particularly comfy with me. Suppose I just feel that whilst others have been so affected by this, whilst nothing much has really changed for me - it's just not fair, but then there's not a huge amount I can do about that. ☹️

Abi90

Visit site
I know people who are shielding who are not leaving the house, at all. Luckily they do have a garden but there will be some who do not. So whilst others are walking/cycling/riding there are some who are very much stuck inside.

I also feel guilty about hacking out (can't really explain why) and at first only rode in the school and around private fields. I have now ventured out but it doesn't sit particularly comfy with me. Suppose I just feel that whilst others have been so affected by this, whilst nothing much has really changed for me - it's just not fair, but then there's not a huge amount I can do about that. ☹️

But life isn’t fair? It’s not fair that some people get to work from home and be safe on full wages whilst others are furloughed or not entitled to much. It’s not fair that some can stay safe at home whilst others have to go to work every day and put themselves and their families at risk. It’s not fair that some people are struggling to afford their horses because they now are struggling financially when others are not and are fine. I doubt you are going to sell your horse because others can no longer afford theirs? It is completely your choice and I get that but if we all stopped doing things because other people don’t have that luxury then no one would do anything, ever

Bernster

Visit site
I’m with you on the ‘fair’. It’s a subjective concept. This whole situation is beyond crappy, for so many people and so many reasons.

I’m not riding, yard on lock down but if I was I think I’d feel a bit odd about hacking out. Plus I’m not keen on speeding drivers and the masses who are out and about in the countryside!

rowan666

Visit site
I've stopped my daughter (6) riding at the moment since she deciding falling off and trying to land on her feet is apparently like playing ninja ??‍♀️ because the it's not worth the risk of a hospital visit being potentially more dangerous than the fall itself. If I hadn't gained too much weight to ride mine then I would still be riding myself though but probably just in the paddock rather than hacking but my lot are being ridden by someone else at our yard because the cob has to stay in work for a few reasons and the arab is being rehabbed after stifle injury so needs consistent light work

burtie

Visit site
I have reduced riding down to indoor school only. My horse hasn't yet hacked alone, (something I was planning to work on this summer), so starting now seems a bit silly! Initially I did stop altogether and just lunged, but he really is very sensible in the school so I don't feel this is more dangerous than anything else I do with him. He is also not so young so don't want him to loose a lot of fitness or training as it will be hard to get it back.

NinjaPony

Visit site
I have just started riding again. My boy is 19, extremely sensible and well-used to coming back into work after a long holiday. So far we have been in the school, and out for a hack in-hand. I'm wearing my air jacket to school (which I never normally do...) and all our hacks will be in the woods that I can access straight from the yard, rather than over the road into the park which is much more exciting and open. I'm pretty cautious out hacking anyway, so will take a lead rope with me and am fully prepared to get off if there are any issues. It's such a joy to ride again, even in a more limited way, and my boy needs the regular light work.

case895

Visit site
I am riding slightly more than before because I am furloughed. I have used the opportunity to focus on some of our weaker areas, but have refrained from jumping or hacking in the woods (mainly because they are full of people and dogs).

The only time my horse has ever hospitalised me was handling him on the ground when he was out of work. So keeping him working minimises the risk.