Endurance Has anyone successfully competed at endurance with a PBA?

teddy_

Visit site
Thinking about what to do with Bunty in the future - needless to say, only time will tell what she enjoys but... Her sire (Arab) successfully competed at endurance, however she is only part-bred.

I have done bits of endurance before with Arab racehorses and it was great fun.

ETA: I meant anyone as in forum members, not anyone in general :D.

Last edited:

crazyandme

Visit site
I did a little (very little as still relatively newly backed at the time!) with a Cleveland Bay x Arab. She thoroughly enjoyed herself, and was still up for it by the end. Only ever up to 20km as I only had her for a year before I moved out of the country. Girl who took her on after me, last I knew she has done 80km with the horse still barefoot, and I believe maybe looking at 120kms now
But being arab, part bred or not is seriously not that important. Attitude is! ;) I've known people go 80km with a 12.2hh Dartmoor pony and do reasonably well! Could have gone further, but didn't as not fair to the pony...

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
Thinking about what to do with Bunty in the future - needless to say, only time will tell what she enjoys but... Her sire (Arab) successfully competed at endurance, however she is only part-bred.

I have done bits of endurance before with Arab racehorses and it was great fun.

ETA: I meant anyone as in forum members, not anyone in general :D.

People compete with all sorts of breeds, natives, cobs etc, I have a few customers who do so.

EnduroRider

Visit site
Yep. The horse in my picture is Arab x Selle Francais and has done up to 80km. Previous FEI horse was Anglo Arab x Australian Stock Horse. There are many many non purebred Arabs out competing so definitely give it a go.

Cloball

Visit site
I volunteered at a ride recently and there was standardbreds, coloured cobs, Welsh section As a section D in their 20s...

Snowfilly

Visit site
We bred an Anglo Arab who made the British national team! He had approximately 18 hands worth of character in a 15 hand body and would go all day. Mum sold him to a RC home at 4, and he ended up at an endurance home at 7 and never looked back.

EstherYoung

Visit site
Part breds are brilliant - best of all worlds. Some of the all time greats have been part breds. I got up to 80km with my friends arab x Welsh - he won the WPCS part bred performance award one year (and on the weekends he wasn't endurancing, he was dessaging or showing - so, so versatile). Give it a go - your mare will love it.

spookypony

Visit site
My PBA mare (mostly Lipizzaner) has competed to 60km, and there's no reason she shouldn't go further. Her full brother (formerly TheNormallyGreyPony) did very well up to 120km. And one of the most awesome mares I know is HiPoxTBxArab. If you get the right combo of speed, toughness, and attitude (my mare appears to be lacking in the attitude department, or rather, her attitude is targeted too much towards eating whatever she's meant to be running over), then you're good to go...

TwyfordM

Visit site
My friends PBA is always the one they want for the teams, despite the fact she has 3 purebreds out competing too. He’s a nutter but essentially a giant Arab (16.2) so bloody long legs and stride with Arab stamina.