Has anyone (successfully) used hoof clay?

fredflop

Visit site
Bought some to use on my horse, who has possibly got slightly thrushy hooves, is barefoot, and out 24/7.

The info on the stuff seems quite good, put on the bottom of hoof, and pack into sulcus either side of frog, will remain stuck to hoof for up the three days, even in muddy turnout.

Just over 24 hours later, it had all come off. Either I haven’t put it on properly, or just a total waste of money :(

supsup

Visit site
I've used some over the past years to try and limit thrush. My experience is that it works well so long as the mud isn't sloppy, and you don't have standing water. So, in wet conditions where the mud remains reasonably firm/packs into the hoof, I've been able to smell some of the eucalyptus scent of the mud a couple of days later when picking out the hooves. But once it gets to the sloppy stage where each step gives a squelch (or where you have surface puddles), it does get washed out in a very short amount of time.
I now don't bother using it in conditions where I know it won't stick, but still think it's a good product when it's not too wet.

Jo1987

Visit site
I think it’s great stuff, as others have said if it’s wet it will only stay in for 24hrs or so - you really don’t need to use much to make a difference though, and if you can make sure the feet are dry when you put it in it will stay on much better. I put it in before turnout in the morning, I have just dried his feet with lots of kitchen roll before putting it in if he’s staying out 24/7 though.