Has anyone turned out 24/7 for summer yet?

loz9

Visit site
finally got mine out overnight last sunday, albeit rugged & fed as im a softy! Im so glad not to be mucking out 7 stables anymore, its been way to long a winter! Did feel a bit mean until yesterday morning when i went out to feed a bit early to find all but the oldies flat out asleep!

Lexie81

Visit site
Yep ours have been out for the last month now, some rugged at night, all given their hard feed and haylege at night as they are still on their winter field, not going onto the summer one til end of May. They all look great though and love being at one with nature!

Sirreal

Visit site
Gah, most of the horses at our yard are out (the majority being of thoroughbred type) with no rugs at night, I've still got mine in, under a layer of rugs!! The other day I went to get him in for the night and found one of them all huddled up cold, but I've said to his owner it's too cold, and she still thinks he's fine, even though you can see his ribs. it's a bit frustrating :/

welshied

Visit site
You have all convinced me they are out for the night, time for Dr green to work its magic on my youngster

hoggedmane

Visit site
Mine are out 24/7 as from start of April. Rug on overnight for the big girl but off since mid April. Pony went from rug, feed, stable etc to being on a fatty patch within 2 weeks!

Visit site
Mine have been out since March, but with the option of coming in as and when. Have to say that they clearly prefer to be out, even when it's bitter out there. Cold and wet brings them in though!

aro

Visit site
Ours were turned out this week and are loving it. They are still being rugged at night though.

alfiesmum

Visit site
gosh how the other half live :D
ours have been out without rugs 24/7 for a about a month now before that they went out at night in march with rugs and they are mixes of sports horses and ponies - we are so lucky and yet when its cold we moan :(
how lucky i am in fife x

TicTac

Visit site
yep, mine went out 24/7 at the end of march. They are still wearing lightweight rugs on and off depending on the weather. Both mine were pleased to get out as am I!

HollyB66

Visit site
Well, I bought my first horse in November and have been through the roughest winter I remember for a long time. She was stabled overnight.

I took some convincing when everyone at our yard started leaving them out 24/7, but she went out just after Easter rugged up at night and if it is raining.

I can't believe how much happier she is. She's 18 and suffers from a bit of stiffness from time to time, but being out 24/7 definitely suits her.

I'm glad I was finally persuaded that she would live without her stable :)

Puppy

Visit site
Mine are usually always out 24/7, but one has had to be on boxrest for the last several weeks. Oldie has stayed out, was clipped a few weeks ago (cushings) and hardly had to wear a rug. Tonight they are FINALLY both out, and I'm thrilled at how happy they are. I'm restricting their grazing though, as I've far too much grass. :eek:

BrynThePony

Visit site
My welshie has been out for about 2 weeks now - rugged at night as he's clipped and it's bloomin' cold here - but my 26yr old TB is still coming in at night, rugged up to the eyeballs, mahooosive net of haylage; he's normally asleep and snoring by the time it's lights out !!!

glamourpuss

Visit site
My 2 (a TB and a welsh mountain) have lived out 24/7 all winter for the first time ever this year, due to my pregnancy.

I clpped the TB at the beginning of March and he is now out either naked or just in a rain sheet. I have also stopped giving them hay.
The welshie is laminitic and is now muzzled

saddlesore

Visit site
Mine lived out 24/7 in freezing -18 temps in Scotland this winter! Went out naked around 5 weeks or so ago and we are still having ground frost overnight. He is doing fine, if not a little too well! :D

Sheila C

Visit site
Yes we've turned out but I am still rugging up my arthritic mare in heavyweight at night and light turnout in the day as we've had frost for a couple of nights and forecast for tonight as well with heavy showers in the day. So unpredictable! Too much grass and have had one livery down with Laminitis - luckily caught it in time - now seems to be sound but muzzled for 3parts of the day.

Christmas Crumpet

Visit site
Golly - my two have been out since middle March and been naked for weeks despite having a full clip. Not that cold in Dorset and they're both quite fat.

kbsaff

Visit site
I'd love to be free of the mucking out but my pony would combust if he was at grass 24/7!!
He's currently muzzled during the day and in by 4.
I'm very jealous of those who will have a stable free summer.

dizz4

Visit site
Yes our welshies are all out now as we had run out of haylage and they are fine, moulting away able to stand the cold.... no rugs at all.... happy as pigs in clover...

NeedNewHorse

Visit site
Yep mine has been out for ages now unrugged (except when it has rained)

She also stayed out various nights through winter, as and when someone else did.

x

Woodykat

Visit site
I have an ex-racer who lived out this winter for the first time, fully clipped (but with a rug of course) and competing every weekend. Has been out naked since start of April.

I've never known him so happy, so much more chilled out, and gets to stay out with his friends.

I'll never stable him again!

Theresa_F

Visit site
My two have had a week of going on the summer field during the day to get them adjusted to grass and tonight they finally stay out until the end of the summer - probably end of October:D

I will let them have a no fill t/o at first and if it goes really cold, their 100g lw rugs on as our field has not got much shelter and I don't want thick hairy coats coming back fast, which they will do if left to get cold and wet.

We are normally out by the start of May, but the grass has taken its time to start coming through ths year.

cindars

Visit site
For the first time in 30 years we are turning out 24/7 at our yard. Before our YO died he didn't like them to be out full time but his wife has said yes it's wonderful, two welsh cobs a shetland and an arab and the only one who is desperate to come in is the sheltie!

Visit site
My boys have been out 24/7 since just after Easter! My two veteran's stayed in at night for a bit longer though have been out 24/7 for about a fortnight.

Hanz

Visit site
My own horse is kept on a DIY and mine and YM horse have been out since the end of April, rugged at night with haylege although thwy are leaving it now...spring is coming!

At work ours are out from 7am 'til around 8pm.