Has anyone used a hayball or similar?

Boulty

Visit site
As long as they can't kick it under the fence they stand up pretty well to outdoor use. How much they slow down eating will depend on the horse. My Welsh D could have one for hours & not manage to empty it. The Highland can totally empty a fairly full one in about 30 mins in stable... Think might last him longer outside as less ways for him to cheat by trapping it against the wall!

PurBee

Visit site
Id like to know too.
They seem like a good idea for a curious horse who needs entertainment and is playful.
Trouble is, i wont use it in a field if there’s grass to eat - neither would they, as they prefer grazing. Theyd be curious for 5 mins then go back to grazing.
If its a winter paddock with more mud than grass then the hayball would get dragged through the mud and they’d be eating muddy hay, if hungry.

If on my hardcore drylot, again there’s a thin layer of silty mush and the hay poking out the ball would get covered and theyd be eating more sand particles than i’d want.

So for my setup, i cant think of a surface the ball would be good to use it on as a slow hay feeder - but as a general ball to play with, that would be good...but then id be worried theyd punch a hoof through one of the holes!

After all that contemplation, i’ve decided they’re not for me...PHEW!
(Why is it everything to do with horses involves considerations you’d similarly have with a 2yr old human toddler?!)
??

gostelr

Visit site
I used one in a mud paddock to try & entertain a cushings pony. The paddock got pretty muddy in bad weather but somehow the design of the ball seemed to keep it on top of the mud until she'd eaten the contents rather than everything inside being saturated & wasted. It took her slightly longer to get through than loose hay (but not too much longer). Main problem was the lowest paddock rail was higher than the ball height so her neighbour sometimes got the benefit when she rolled it in their direction. never had a problem with a hoof going through a hole or breakage & she would give it a pretty good boot around the place.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
I have one. I bought it when my horse was on box rest a few years ago. It worked well.
move not really used it since as outside they’d argue over it.

cauda equina

Visit site
I had a Stubbs hay roller which was a good sturdy thing, but the mini just pulled all the hay out of the end which defeated the purpose

TPO

Visit site
I've got the one in the link too.

Used it outside for Fat Cob when he was in a are paddock to make him more cob than fat. He used it with no issues

Everyone was out together over winter and I'd put the ball put along with their normal hay piles. They would all have a go eating from it and it gave them something to do

Marnie

Visit site
Thanks all, I was looking to use it in my paddock which doesn't have much grass and I've been putting a bit of hay out but it is either blowing away or getting trampled and I thought this may be a way of keeping things tidier - I'd probably need 2 though!

cauda equina

Visit site
If I want to slow down hay eating in the field or stop it blowing away I just put it in a haylage net and tie the top up tight with no loop in the string; they're all barefoot though

Julia0803

Visit site
My cob is on boxrest and has one.
He can empty it inside 15 min. To try and slow him down I’ve taken to hanging it from the rafters.

It is really sturdy. One of the reasons I’ve hung it up is I was worried it wouldn’t be doing his injury much good as he really was beating the wotsit out of itaround his stable.

canteron

Visit site
I have one - they are good with the smaller ones - the ones with bigger mouths struggle a bit.
Have you also seen the Stubbs hay roller - doesn’t move so far if you are worried about it going under fences, etc.

July dreamer

Visit site
For those that have used one - can the horses actually get all the hay out of the ball? I have visions of it becoming impossible as the hay inside becomes less and my poor horse being able to see/smell the hay but not being able to get it out...Looking for extra ways to slow down hay consumption!

Birker2020

Visit site
Yes I'm digging mine out in a couple of weeks when the grounds consistently drier, at the moment hay is from an upturned large tub in the paddock, horse has been taught to right it.

They are very good, the hay is easy enough to get out of the ball but I usually stuff mine and then poke more out of the sides. It very ocassionally ends up in the paddock next door if my horse is too boisterous with it, but 99% of the time stays where it is. I've never known the wind roll it away either.

Sparkeyboy

Visit site
I've just bought a 2nd one! It's been good for my very greedy welsh, he's the only 1 out of 4 who manages to empty the whole thing, the others lose interest eventually and leave it. I've found them to be really robust as well, I throw mine over the paddock fence and it's stood up to that all winter, as well as being kicked around by the ponies. The hay rollers look good as I think you can use them as jump wings, but as someone's said above, I don't think all of them have a 'lid' so they can pull the hay straight out the bottom.