Has anyone used Easypack straw pellet bedding?

MonkeyTheNF

Visit site
The lady that rund full livery on my yard used straw pellets on a month trial and found wood pellets were way better especially for the extremely wet liveries she has!

Yardbird

Visit site
I was thinking the same and bought 3 bags in Rokers as wood pellets have gone up in price, I just mixed them in with my wood pellet bed and so far so good and I will buy more .I also found a site to order from that seemed inexpensive for a bulk order,but they are not in stock, Straw Pellets Ltd.

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
Recently bought half a pallet to try - fine for the drier horse, not so much for the wet pair at this time of year. Probably would be preferable to wood pellets in the summer as are considerably less dusty.

chaps89

Visit site
Yardbird - where were they in Rokers? I looked for some earlier but could see any! Eta - do you mind me asking how much they were per bag?

Interesting that they don't seem to be so good for very wet horses given the claims about being so much more absorbent. It is a good point about them may be being better for Summer though - wood pellets do dry out too much and go so dusty when it's hotter/dryer.

Last edited:

PapaverFollis

Visit site
The yard I'm on tried straw pellets as a livery bedding option last year. When I arrived here no-one was using them and there was a good half pallet untouched. So they weren't popular. I think a number of horses just ate them. I said I would try a bag but when I opened it it was very mouldy inside from sitting in the wet so I went and bought some wood pellets instead.

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
Yardbird - where were they in Rokers? I looked for some earlier but could see any! Eta - do you mind me asking how much they were per bag?

Interesting that they don't seem to be so good for very wet horses given the claims about being so much more absorbent. It is a good point about them may be being better for Summer though - wood pellets do dry out too much and go so dusty when it's hotter/dryer.

Yes, I think that's the problem, they are just a bit too absorbent and don't let any pee drain away. They also compact down a lot.

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
I've used straw pellets (although not these ones). I didn't like them, they packed into the ponies feet too much and got very dusty in the summer. And for the filthy horse I had then, chopped straw or wood pellets were preferable (but I won't use wood products for muck heap reasons).

Yardbird

Visit site
Hi chaps 89,if you go from the shop down the slope to the Feed shop ,turn left. walk on few feet and on your left you will find the straw pellets with some hay that easipack also sell and rabbity stuff

Nasicus

Visit site
Gave straw pellets a go a while back, fellow livery sold me about 20 bags for cheap. Ended up about halfway through before giving up and giving the bags away and going back to regular wood pellets. They were just clumpy and dirty looking, and quickly turned into a solid mess.

eggs

Visit site
Tried straw pellets a while ago. Worked OK for the two horses that I trialled them with so swapped the others over from wood to straw pellets and then spent the next two hours taking them out of all the stables as the horses just started eating them. Went back to wood pellets and much prefer them. The straw pellets that I was left with I am now using up by putting a thin layer on the floor of the one horse I have that is really wet and is bedded on straw. He has a full muck out each day so at least I have found a use for them.