has my pony had a stroke?

mostfunintown

Visit site
My pony has gone blind over night and is also dribbling, the vet also thinks he has a very sore throat as he cannot eat. The vet came out today a jabbed him some pain killers and anti-inflams but if he is no better in the morning he will be destroyed,any ideas????? he is only eight and such a little sweetie. The vet says he has never seen this before

PapaFrita

pilar-larcade.com
Oh sh:t how awful! have no idea if horses actually HAVE strokes
frown.gif

Louby

Visit site
Oh god thats awful. You must be out of your mind with worry. I really hope he's better in the morning. x

GTs

Visit site
I would personally get your horse to an equine hospital - although if he has had a stroke they would not be able to do anymore for him, they see a lot more of the rare cases then you general vet, and their opinion would be worth the visit. It also means if he has to be put down, they can do it there!

mostfunintown

Visit site
The vet was from local large clinic and didn't think he should stress him by taking him to the clinic as he is already very sick and having lost his sight the vet thinks this would be cruel. I must admit I was rather hoping for a brain scan to tell me what was going on. I have never seen this b4, and this is my little man. He is only 28 inches and is such a little cutie comes in the house and lays with the dogs.

brightmount

Visit site
POOR you! It could be a stroke as a horse on our yard had one earlier this year. The owners came one morning and found him blind and unable to get up. He was PTS on the spot. So devastating to be in a situation like that with no warning. Hugs 4 u.

mostfunintown

Visit site
I think I am gonna have to accept the fact that I am going to be saying goodbye to the little dude in the morning. I will post what happens all I can do is pray for a miricle.

Tia

Visit site
I am so sorry to read this. I really hope your little guy is better in the morning. Fingers and toes crossed for you.

k9h

Visit site
So sorry to hear about your pony. Our mare had one 18 years ago after she'd got flu from a show. She ended up paralyized down the left side of her face but she lived a happy life for another 15 years. We just had to give her plenty off time to eat her food as some would keep falling out the left side of her mouth with the droopy lip. We retired her as soon as it happened but she was never in any pain after recovering from it. Bess was our foundation mare & we managed to have 5 generations all living at the same time from her. She was 35 when we had her PTS with her companion shetland Toby who was also 33. We buried them in the same hole together as they lived together & were always side byside.
Hope your pony is OK

charlie76

Visit site
Sounds more like symptoms of tetnus to me....is your pony holding his neck and head out straight? How long have you owned him for?
Tetnus can live in the soil in certain areas.

brighteyes

Pooh-Bah
Visit site
That is truly touching. I am thinking of most_fun and her poor pony, but hardly dare look to see what happened. Life can be so unfair. What did they do to anyone to deserve such an awful thing? Grrrrrr

mostfunintown

Visit site
GREAT NEWS!!! Pony is still alive, he has seen a different vet and we are hoping for recovery. must try and controll my excitement though. The vet has taken some bloood and thinks it is definately neurological but he seems to have a little sight in his right eye today and has also eaten one and a half apples. The vet doesn't think there will be much he can do so its all down to the little guy but with a bit of luck maybe he will make it. He has also given a nice little whinnie today. He is struggling to eat but at least he is trying. Also drank from his bucket twice today only about 5 swallows in total but thats better than nothing. Thanx 2 you all for keeping fingers crossed it seems like it might be working!! Will keep posting.

GTs

Visit site
I am pleased the little guy is doing better.

FYI HappyHorse, Norman Shumway had a sign atop of his office that said 'Where there's death there's hope'

Thistle

Visit site
Hi MFIT I know your pony. He is on loan to some very good friends of mine as a companion? They really are a lovely home and used to loan my ancient old boy as a first pony for their daughter. Their horses are very well cared for.

I have been speaking to Jo this evening and have all fingers and toes crossed for the little fellow.

I knew of a horse that had similar symptoms that had a fractured neck, had passed a vetting too. There was a cyst around the fracture that held it all together. The cyst burst and the horse slowly lost all coordination. The fracture was a congenital problem where a disc had not formed properly.

Unfortunately it was PTS.

The vets concerned are a good equine practice who most people round here use, it must be a very odd case if none of them know what it is.
xxxxxx

brightmount

Visit site
WOW! That's so encouraging - sounds like the little fella is fighting. It's very positive, both physically and mentally, that he is eating and drinking. Also that he has sight in one eye. Horses can adapt to one eye, you just have to be sure to approach from the side they can see you. But let's hope and pray he will make even more progress in the next few days. He sounds such a sweetheart.
smile.gif

mostfunintown

Visit site
blood test results r in-definately not a virus, and looks as though it may be bochilism (not sure if i have spelled that right) but that seems to be the most obvious one. I think if he has not improved with his eating and drinking the vet will give him some vitamins etc via a stomach tube tomorrow. If it is bochilism then it seems its up to him to get better. They have given pleanty of antibiotics and antiinlamatory. And just so you all know the vet who visited today is soooooooo fine!

mostfunintown

Visit site
The vet has also said other that some old scarring he has in one eye his eyes look to be healthy but it is the signals in his brain that are slow. He thinks he can see solid objects e.g. walls but isn't seeing moving things.

threeponies

Visit site
Horse that used to be at our yard had botulism from haylage. She was in the vet school for a few weeks and responded to antibiotics and is now fine. There's hope for your wee one!