Has your horse ever made you cry??

BFG

Visit site
I am not a soft person and really quite sorted with regards to my life etc.

I haven’t been schooling my lad as much over the past say 3 months and i have had to move yards which was stressful to say the least. So i had a lesson 2 weeks ago (my first for 3 months) and it wasn’t brilliant but once i stopped riding like a muppet we started to get somewhere.

I have been schooling since my last lesson but i just felt like i was never really getting anywhere and i just felt like i couldn’t ride, so i had another lesson today and i could feel myself getting more and more angry with him, he wasn’t listening and I couldn’t really get him to pay attention. I ended up un tears out of shear frustration i think, my instructor (a personal friend) said it was only a matter of time that i broke down because of the move etc and that i needed to let it out (not really my thing). She offered to get on him while i calmed down and while she was riding him she did say he was taking the mick and not listening and that it wasn’t all my fault.

She worked him for about 10 mins and he started to work well so i got back on him and he was so much better.

The problem is i have worked really hard with him in the past and he was amazing, the feeling i get from riding him is better that anything so when he is not working it feel horrible. It is my fault for giving him some down time (hacking and playing) so it is no wonder he can’t work at the level he was.

Sorry for rabbiting on, i am just feeling sorry for myself which really isn’t like me.:(

So is it just me or do some of you feel the same way sometimes.

Thanks for reading :D

seoirse

Visit site
All the time!

It's only cos it matters so much to you and you really care that it is so frustrating!

I had a good bawl about 2 weeks ago. My horse strained a tendon last year and even though he's back in almost full work now I've not put shoes back on him cos his flatwork is just so much better barefoot. Going barefoot has been a steep learning curve for me and I thought it was a load of nonsense before. Anyway, my trusty farrier of 15 years just retired so another guy came and trimmed G up for me. 3 days later he was recumbant he was so footsore. So I had to get another farrier out to get shoes on him cos he was crippled. Next day he threw a shoe in the arena which was annoying enough but could I find it? Could I HELL! Had to use a metal detector in the end! Got shoe back on, horse has now pretty much had 10 days off so is a complete prat. I hate to think how many times I have cried during this whole performance!

You have to keep going though. in a few weeks when he's going lovely again you'll look back and chuckle! It's what makes having horses so great. It's not on a plate.

Good luck.

Last edited:

Suzie86

Visit site
yep sometimes through anger, sometimes through pain, sometimes through pride and sometimes just because i love them! My boy who's out on loan I go and see every month and everytime i have to walk away from him and leave him standing at the field gate looking after me, I end up blubbering like a baby :( I cried when we won the offchurch 2day event because that to me and him was such as massive deal, I cried even more when we got a double clear BE intro and in BS disc just because for us these were huge achievements. I also cried when he headbutted me in the face and gave me a black eye ;)

Benji1

Visit site
God yes, pain, frustration, fear, relief, love, suffering. I really could go on, and I'm normally a 'strong' person

NicoleS_007

Visit site
unfortunatly yes :( ... when the vet said he had nav and he may not come sound, was very very sad my dad was going to give him to a retirement place and hes only 7 :eek: ... when he bit my wee finger and wouldnt let go, it really hurt, when his bed is sooooo messy it depresses me more than upsets me though and if he acts like a complete fruit when im riding him, i just feel like flopping off the side and giving up but never do to his disgust :D
Just hang in there everyone has there days some more so than others lol

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
Some horses have done it more than others! The Old Appy caused me more tears than all the others put together, and they were of every origin, from pain through to pride, through to the goodbye at the end of her life. She had such a huge personality and such a mind of her own that we had many battles, but she was also my best friend. :)
But that said, I agree with AmyMay and all horses do this to us to some extent.

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
Oh yes, tears of frustration, sadness, sheer terror and of course joy.

Not uncommon in the world of horses.....

Ditto this :cool:

I've had sessions, especially with the Dizz when I've wondered why the flecking heck I've bothered doing all those early mornings, etc. Usually I'll get off, let D1 get on if she's there for ten minutes so I can watch and see if it's me or if it's Dizz; if D1 isn't there, I get off anyway and just sit on a wall and chill. Once I get back on, things usually go so much better :)

As to the 'break out of emotion', well your friend is so right, it's human nautre hun, it has to come out somewhere/sometime.

Apercrumbie

Visit site
My horses make me cry quite a bit! Mainly if they're not listening and I've had a bad day, or the cob stands on my food ;) Don't worry about it, it's normal. Give him a big hug and have a nice canter in a field and you'll feel much better.

BFG

Visit site
Well i hope all my "emotions" are all out now because i hate crying i feel a right muppet.

I don’t ever think that things are getting to me i just asses the situation deal with it and move on but every now and again something stupid happens and i over react to it and think to myself "where did that come from" i really must learn to understand myself better.

I am always the strong one that people come to with there problems, so it was really strange for my instructor to see me like that.

Coffee_Bean

www.horseandhound.co.uk
Yes. Both of them have many many times. Which is another reason why I really cba with horses anymore. In the past 2 years I have come home in tears far more times than I've come home smiling. Typical, everytime you want to give horses up, you can't get rid of them. And when you don't want to they go lame :/

Kenzo

Visit site
Yes.

Last time was when I took him to his first dressage, tears of joy of course, makes all the ***** I've had over the years seem worth it.

I'm done with crying over dissapointment, frustration and other peoples opinons, shed too many of them and it doesnt get you no where.

cobface

Visit site
Yes! current horse has, tears of frustration mainly, but in the past when she had reoccuring bouts of colic through an injury, then a couple weeks later she was booted in the field :(

Laura Pain

Visit site
Yes! We had a pony who liked to bite a little and one day he bit the back of my jods and pulled me back - sadly he had hold of my jods and my pants........one huge wedgie and torn pants was the outcome.........boohoo!!!!!

Biscuit

Visit site
Yes, when she got injured in the field and needed surgery, and subsequently when we found out she might be retired at 5. But I have also been in tears with happiness, for example last year when I lived abroad and didn't see her for months, and it was so obvious that she still remembered me and was happy to see me. The rest of the time she usually makes me smile.

Walrus

Visit site
Crikey yes, and I've only had him 7 months! Usually tears of frustration at both him and me! Hopefully one day in the dim and distant future when we can canter in the school and trot a circle they will be tears of joy!! I love him really. :D

skint1

Visit site

This. My daughter has the most ornery mare in all the world, loves her to peices but has shed many tears, and will probably shed a few more as we're planning to take her out a few places in the next few weeks. Pray for skint1 please everyone :D

jsr

Visit site
Once through sheer frustration, after months of working on his cold backed issue I had made a breakthrough only for a year later to be putting on his saddle and he reared and bolted...I thought it was all starting again, sat down on the tack room step and cried like a baby!!! The though of having to do all that work was too much...of course I pulled myself together, retrieved the horse from the garden where he was happily munching and tried again!! Saddle went on no problem and had no problem since so drama queen here had obviously spooked him and made a mountain out of a mole hill!!!:rolleyes:

And then only last night I had a little tear of joy, after years of being a happy hacker we've started doing alot more work together and I've been having lessons. Getting a contact and outline out of a happy hacker heavy cob isn't easy at the best of times so when I did some quick schooling last night image the joy when he popped down his head and took contact instantly!!!!! He felt like a feather in my hands and his movements I swear rivalled ANY top class dressage horse!! I was so proud and so happy and annoyingly no other bugger was in the school to see it!!!!! :D

0ldmare

Visit site
Yes when the chestnut in my siggy decided that she would leap out of the horse box instead of walking down the ramp (she wasnt scared, just being a twerp). She landed squarely on my foot. I alternated between shouting obscenities and howling. I have never felt such pain. She proceeded to eat grass completely unconcerned with pleased innocent expression as I was rendered helpless with agony :( :(

Dizzydancer

Visit site

Most definately this is true, nearly once a week im in tears...for example yesterday morning after deciding to ride in gale force winds going sideways and leaping around...my back is now very painful!! But its both sad and happy tears normally.

Rose Folly

Visit site
Why is it your fault "for giving him down time"? Do you really only ride to school your horse. Get a life! Sorry, but there used to be a saying /Do you hunt to ride, or ride to hunt?' Now it's 'do you ride to school or school to ride'? Think about it. And hacking etc. is not 'down time'. That's where you really learn to interact with your horse.