Has your horse ever taken a clear dislike to someone ?

tessybear

Visit site
Our old farrier whilst his work as fantastic just didn't get on with Tess, or rather she didn't get on with him. She was perfecty fine for his helper and stood good as gold but the farrier himself she would muck about causing him to get frustrated and smack her. She is a stubbon old cow and having been beaten in the past , htting her doesn't really do any good.

We have a new farrier now a woman who is very calm and if she dos faff about ( her back legs are stiff due to bad scar tissue) she puts the leg down and asks again. Much easier than entering into a massive argument and causing Tess to rear.... If im honest the old farrier scared me a bit :eek: His work was good though.

Has your horse ever taken an instant dislike to someone, she never rears or faffs about but he really got to her and then everytime he came she associated having her feet done with being a little *****. I would understand giving he a slap if she was dangerous but loosing balance and stiff joints is not a reaon IMHO

Capriole

Visit site
Yes! My old horse was very clear that he didn't like some people. He disliked every bf I had until the current one, who got the go-ahead. And tbh he was always right in his judgement :lol:

tessybear

Visit site
Yes! My old horse was very clear that he didn't like some people. He disliked every bf I had until the current one, who got the go-ahead. And tbh he was always right in his judgement :lol:

That's brilliant lol !! Never mind bringing them home to the parents, the real test is the horse :p

TequilaMist

Visit site
Not present ones. Had one in past tho that hated a certain instructor on the yard and would make an effort to go for them with her teeth! Mare did have aggression issues but hated this person and tbf they hadn't done anything to her.

tessybear

Visit site
Not present ones. Had one in past tho that hated a certain instructor on the yard and would make an effort to go for them with her teeth! Mare did have aggression issues but hated this person and tbf they hadn't done anything to her.

How strange ! Wonder why she decided to pick that one Instructor, funny animals they are :)

Polos Mum

Visit site
Glad you've found a better farrier (PM me if you need another name as I have a great farrier in south Lincs)

I had a sharer come for my old boy, that he really didn't get on with she seemed to ride ok but he was always odd around her. I caught her shouting at him and asked her to leave but he obviously sussed her much quicker than I did!!

Archangel

Visit site
I owned my old pony for 33 years. In all those 33 years I was treated as 'staff' by him!
When I got back from holiday I rushed to see him and it was always "and you are?"
Insolent little monkey!

tessybear

Visit site
Yep, blackpony seriously dislikes one of my friends. Bites her if she stands next to her door & out hacking eyes up her thigh with 'umm tasty, bite, bite, bite' in her eyes......:D
That's great cheeky pony :) Suppose you have to see the funny side of it :D

Glad you've found a better farrier (PM me if you need another name as I have a great farrier in south Lincs)

I had a sharer come for my old boy, that he really didn't get on with she seemed to ride ok but he was always odd around her. I caught her shouting at him and asked her to leave but he obviously sussed her much quicker than I did!!

Yes much easier now and she is fab with Little Dolly... i wouldnt have wanted the old farrier to be the first to do Dolly.

It's amazing how they can suss someone out from the go !

Antw23uk

Visit site
I have a feeling this thread will be very mare orientated, lol *ducks and hides* ;)

I havent found anyone that Giz dislikes yet but then if he did dislike someone and they then presented food to him he would be there friend for life! :rolleyes:

tessybear

Visit site
I have a feeling this thread will be very mare orientated, lol *ducks and hides* ;)

I havent found anyone that Giz dislikes yet but then if he did dislike someone and they then presented food to him he would be there friend for life! :rolleyes:

:eek: how dare you ;) ..... P.s i agree lol !

SassieSoz

Visit site
My horse treats people with the same disdain as cats do if he's not keen on them.

Did try a new instructor about 4 years ago and we spent the whole lesson with him kicking out at her or waving his teeth in her general direction. Needless to say, we didn't book another lesson!

Antw23uk

Visit site
My horse treats people with the same disdain as cats do if he's not keen on them.

Did try a new instructor about 4 years ago and we spent the whole lesson with him kicking out at her or waving his teeth in her general direction. Needless to say, we didn't book another lesson!

Seriously this made me laugh out loud :) I think the instructor may have been pleased as well ;)

TequilaMist

Visit site
Ha wonder why!!
We did get mare scanned and turned out was ovulating in November!!!!
Regumate didn't work.

TM really don't know why she hated him. It was a source of amusement bth could have been really bad cause it wasn't just a nip she gave you it was the whole ears back,nostrils flared mouth wide open type she did.
I do believe she was also defensive aggressive (if that makes sense) That was my feeling cause afterward she always looked like she was waiting for a thump!

Persephone

Visit site
Gah, it's embarrassing isn't it. My mare ;) looks daggers at people, tail swishing, "look at my big, snapping teeth", snaking head and a pair of heels in a "will I won't I, are you brave/stupid enough to find out" manner

ibot

Visit site
Hey Abbie

well I did have a dog that hated my sister every time she came to stay he growled even if she was walking to the loo or if he passed her it was so funny, he also peed on someone who was terrified of dogs im pretty sure that did not help lol.

I have had many horses be nice to me and take a chunk out of the person standing next to me!!! lol

Silvermiyazawa

Visit site
My friendly, laid back old chap hated a bloke who used to visit the girl with the stable opposite. My horse always checked people out for food but with this bloke he would fly at him over the stable door ears back and teeth snapping. Bloke worked with horses but my horse was fine with farrier, vets who did nasty things, dentists, everyone in fact except this bloke.

pansymouse

Visit site
My mare is not a people person, I've only just been elevated to favoured staff. She usually treats everyone with the same casual indifference although she does tend to marginally favour men. I've only seen her actively take against on person and all she did to her was refuse to let her catch her (she is the worlds easiest horse to catch for anyone else).

Visit site
Yeah, me.

My mare loves everyone, shes gentle with children, very good with men but hates me. Theres no whinny from the gate or excitment to see me. But anyone else i bring gets nuzzles, neighs of joy and her undivided attention.

Traitor.

becca1305

Visit site
Yes my old boy was particular about who he wanted shoeing him, no apparent reason for it all of them were nice to him, but he was golden with the ones he liked.

I've got a horse in temporarily as a companion having a short holiday with me, and he has been an absolute sweetheart. However the other day a friend came down to the stable block to help and the instant she stepped in his stable he put his ears flat back and teeth swiping the air. Up to that point he'd never so much as pulled a face! He'd never met her before, she hadn't even touched him and the day before another friend helped me turn him out and he was a sweetie with her. Absolutely bizarre, still can't figure out what he took a dislike to!

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
My mare doesn't like anyone! She dislikes me a little less than everyone else, but I still get faces! She hates my husband. For no reason, if anything he is too nice to her and she looks down on him for it. Once he kissed me in the stable when I had just come back from a trip, and she lunged across the stable and took a chunk of his hair out. If I was him I would have shot her by now, but he is very patient.

Megibo

Visit site
It took a year for me and my mare to even get along on the ground-she was always aloof with people stuck up creature-and then just at we got on I sold her! ;) To be fair it wasn't working out and when the people came to see her who have her now she was all cuddly with them from the word go and she adores the little boy she now 'looks after' :p

My current mare I've had 8 years and its very obvious when she doesn't like someone-bum in their face or headbutts them away when they come too close! The funny thing was the person she disliked the most thought that she loved her-ha!

pippixox

Visit site

my horse actually bucked my ex off! he had never thrown anyone off before, even has a 5yo on him lead reign. must have been a sign!

ridefast

Visit site
My mare bit my ex boss :) She never bites anyone. I guess she knew it wasn't going to end well between us. She gets quite jealous if I give fuss to other horses, but she knows that she has to share me.

Polos Mum

Visit site
If I was him I would have shot her by now, but he is very patient.

You should try having a parrot! Now they are possessive! Mine has done some nasty injuries to my OH, first nasty one we'd been going out about 3 months and parrot landed on his head, lent down and took a large chunk out of his forehead - blood everywhere! The fact he came back to see me was a good hint that the OH was the one!

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
My traddie boy will take an instant dislike to someone; I suspect that he's had a measure of abuse in his background, somewhere, as he's generally suspicious when meeting a man who's new to him and will always look a bit iffy until he knows they're OK, i.e. not going to stick nasty needles in his hide, open up his gob and start cranking his jaws open, or start clipping his legs. He's particularly suspicious of people walking in Hi-Viz jackets, and if they've got a stick as well, he really gets quite stressy sometimes, which tells me everything about the sort of stuff that's mebbe happened to him.

There's a guy who lives up the road who used to be our neighbour. He seemed/seems a really nice, pleasant chap, but Ned just can't stand being near him, its mega-embarrassing; we get all the stopping, eyes out on stalks, snorting, and side-stepping, every single time we see the poor guy. Perhaps he reminds him of someone who was maybe horrible to him in the past, who knows. We don't see this guy regularly, just sometimes, but he still hasn't got over it yet!:) Blimmin horses.

Montyforever

Visit site
She has taken an instant dislike to people in the past .. And shes never been wrong!! Usually takes me alot longer to realise, but i trust her judgment 100% :)

Captain Bridget

Visit site
I took my ex boyfriend up to see the horses once, both riding around the field when Bailey, his horse, decided he would canter off down the field back to the stables. He's never done it before or since, I've put my total novice parents on him and he's been good as gold. Obviously he knew better than me given that he's now an ex!

3OldPonies

Visit site
Yep, my NFxWelsh hated one farrier that I used to use - absolutely detested him, and one of his apprentices as well. tbh they were a bit rough, which was why I changed to someone else. It was soooo funny the morning that he lifted both back feet at once and hit the guy under the bum cheeks, one hoof per cheek and sent him face first into the mud - took me ages to stop laughing and I swear that ponio was grinning as well :)