Has your horse got a hernia??

penelopeanne

Visit site
My mare has a hernia and I would just like to know if anyone else has had to cope with one. She is now fine in all respects but sometimes it gets me down and would like to hear from other owners/sharers how their horses have coped.....any ups or downs that sort of thing.

ajf

Visit site
Sorry to hear this. I know my chap had one at 6months old which was operated on and hes been fine ever since. Sorry this ain't much help

loveacob

Visit site
My friend has a mare that has an umbilical hernia, she is 10 yrs. She has not had any problems so far (she has owned her over 4 yrs) but she does want to breed from her soon and has been told by the vet that she will have to have it operated on before she is put into foal. She was also told that she must not let her get too overweight or jump too high, she jumps over 1m without problems. Other than her being very sensitive if you touch or groom near to it she is fine with it.

dozzie

Visit site
My 30 yr old had an umbilical hernia in the days when surgery was not an option. He's lived with it but it was never very big. It did go down quite a lot in time. Just take advice from your vet.
smile.gif