Has your yard put any potential provisions in place due to Coronavirus?

hopscotch bandit

Visit site
Our Y.O has wisely given a letter to all the liveries asking us to bear with her during this difficult time. She's been researching hugely solutions for a yard like ours via government advice, the BEF and the French Equestrian Federation (who are advised by the same scientists that our equine decision makers are but are two weeks ahead of us) and a couple of plans have been put in place to be used if necessary.

Advice is mainly to wash hands before arriving and upon leaving (we must supply our own towels to keep in the car), also to try and carry a hand sanitiser with us, not to share other peoples wheelbarrows and tools, shared tack, feed bins, not to allow any non essential visitors onto the yard, etc and make sure we have enough feed, bedding and hay in case we go into full lock down.

We also need to consider what options we have if we have to self isolate ourselves, i.e. who will be looking after your horse.

If we go into full lock down which we hopefully will not have to do then all our horses will go out 24/7 and the Y.O will hay/feed and our arrival times will be staggered to avoid each other. We have also been asked not to congregate in areas like the tea room, feed room, etc.

I think it's an excellent idea to come up with an action plan which can be used in the event that we need it and I fully support the reasoning behind it.

Anyone else had similar?

As an aside I was talking to my vet last night whose family lives in another part of the world hugely affected by Coronavirus and he is understandably terribly worried about his parents, his Mother works for the Government in that country and is working really long hours due to the virus implications, and his Father is a vet who is restricted at the moment to only dealing with emergency call outs as it is so bad there. He must be so worried about them, as we are about our older parents. My Mum's 84, fortunately doesn't have any underlying issues but I'm worried about her non the less.

bonny

Visit site
As an adult I would be offended if a yard owner felt the need to issue advice like that....

bonny

Visit site
What? By offering guidance and support and having an action plan explaining what will happen in the event of a lockdown??

How strange you would feel offended by this.
It’s basically wash your hands and stock up on feed etc........do you really need to be told that ? I thought the entire country were doing exactly that !

HappyHollyDays

Slave to 2 cats and 2 ponies
Visit site
Why on earth would anyone be offended by having a caring YO who is putting a plan in place which benefits all the liveries. It’s not just about washing your hands, it’s making sure all the animals on the yard for which she is ultimately responsible are cared for in an appropriate way while keeping the livery owners and herself virus free and able to help each other should the need arise. Nothing patronising about that at all.

be positive

Visit site
Why on earth would anyone be offended by having a caring YO who is putting a plan in place which benefits all the liveries. It’s not just about washing your hands, it’s making sure all the animals on the yard for which she is ultimately responsible are cared for in an appropriate way while keeping the livery owners and herself virus free and able to help each other should the need arise. Nothing patronising about that at all.

Absolutely, as a YO I have to make a plan in case of restrictions and this morning discussed it with a livery, if we need to I will take full care of the few I have here and the owners will not need to come, if I am unwell they will all be turned out and one healthy owner will come each day to check them, top up hay and water as required, just hand washing expected for now but if we do not have a plan it will be too late to sort out if I am taken ill.

If I had a bigger yard it would be far more tricky to organise, it may be mainly common sense but even in the horse world that can be lacking at times, it is not as simple as wash hands and get feed in, we are coming towards the end of one of the wettest winters on record, many horses have been shut in and if their owners cannot get to them for whatever reason then the YO has to have a plan of action that all owners are aware of and happy to comply with.

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
As an adult I would be offended if a yard owner felt the need to issue advice like that....

Including the part about non-essential visitors (the reason I read the thread)? A lot of people are still having their saddle fitters out, at the moment I'm inclined to cancel all fittings though it will be ruinous financially.

Pollyrocket19

New User
Visit site
Sounds to me that this YO is being extremely responsible reminding everyone what needs to happen. I got a similar text from my YO and agreed with every point. There are some crazies out there that aren’t thinking about washing hands and disinfecting etc. I definitely agree with not having visitors on yards too unless it’s an emergency that requires a vet and they seem to have similar policies in place too!

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
We’ve had some government signs about hand washing put up by the estate manager. The irony being that we (The diy liveries) buy all the hand wash, toilet cleaner, bleach and toilet roll ourselves. The estate provides nothing even though estate workers also use it.

I bought at my own expense some Virkon S tablets and a 5 pack of spray bottles one for the toilet area and one for the tack room cum tea room. My logic being that we all don’t want to come down with it at the same time but I was greeted with sullen looks and not one person said they thought it was a good precaution.

Bernster

Visit site
Sounds sensible. We’ve had some info but not as detailed as your YO. Whilst most of it is sensible, it’s clear there is a lot of confusing and some misinformation around generally, so its good to be clear and provide guidance for folks.

Businesses probably are obliged to have these plans in place for insurance etc purposes.

vmac66

Visit site
The yard owner won't do anything but a few of us have got together to put together a contingency plan if any of us are unable to get to our horses.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
It’s basically wash your hands and stock up on feed etc........do you really need to be told that ? I thought the entire country were doing exactly that !

When I ran a yard I often found used sanitary products left on top of the toilet system and on the floor, you would be surprised what you have to advise/ instruct people to do.

supertramp

Visit site
Visited the yard today with infection control already in place, the owners have to keep themselves well and im totally in agreement to the measures they are taking. There are enough people out there who sadly have no commonsense and need reminding continually to wash their hands. Im not sure why we would expect livery yard owners not to take these measures, its their livelihood, and a pretty thankless one at times , we expect first class care but we wont get it if they become ill.

twiggy2

Visit site
If I was running a yard the tea room/kitchen would be shut, as would a shared tack room and the toilets (open for anyone who had a disability that meant they could not go without) everyone else pee in your horses stable or hold it, less risk of infection that way.
Also hand washing would be under the running taps for the same reason all areas for congregating would be closed off.

helffrich

Visit site
Just sharing from France where all yards and equestrian facilities are (like a lot of other businesses and facilities), on COMPLETE and enforced lockdown: (I'm lucky to have my horse at home) but have many horsey friends, some of them running yards and they have introduced a Doodle on line for their liveries to come and ride/look after their horses on set days and times in order to limit numbers and respect social distancing. And it's working great!
Social distancing saves lives but our horses are everything to us. There are ways! :)

Keith_Beef

Novice equestrian, accomplished equichetrian
Visit site

I sometimes almost feel offended when I hear announcements on the station platform along the lines of "don't be a twat, let people off the train before trying to get on".

But then I look around and remember that the message is not really aimed at me, but at the twats who surround me who really will try to push their way onto the train before letting others get off...

Bonny, you may be the most intelligent and considerate person on your yard, but your yard manager has to deal with a bunch of selfish and inconsiderate twats, and doesn't have time to send out individualised messages. So you end up receiving the same message.

hopscotch bandit

Visit site
Bonny, you may be the most intelligent and considerate person on your yard, but your yard manager has to deal with a bunch of selfish and inconsiderate twats, and doesn't have time to send out individualised messages. So you end up receiving the same message.

Whilst I get what you are saying, our YO hasn't done this because any of us are selfish or inconsiderate or thick or anything else for that matter and I'm sure this doesn't apply to any other liveries who have received this message from other Y.O's.

Our YO has done this so we have a contingency plan to prevent lock down and a plan should lock down take place.

Of course for some people turning a horse out onto grass 24/7 is impossible and there will be provisions put in place for this. One reason might be that a particular horse has never been out overnight or that some horses, mine included after a long period away from grass cannot just be turned out but have to have slowly increased time out at grass otherwise they will colic without delay.

And of course there are the ones that have a history of serious colic events, or had colic surgery in the past where introducing them to 24/7 grass would be extremely detrimental.

mle22

Visit site
Hobby riders in particular, but everyone really, shouldn’t be riding horses, the NHS has enough on its plate without having to look after us if we fall off and get injured.

Tihamandturkey

Visit site
Hobby riders in particular, but everyone really, shouldn’t be riding horses, the NHS has enough on its plate without having to look after us if we fall off and get injured.

Horses and riding them is what keeps many of us sane - you can break an ankle stepping off a curb - should we all stop walking on pavements too?

greenbean10

Visit site

I think the NHS would end up with even more on its plate if we all stopped riding our horses. Sodden fields thanks to awful weather means very little turnout for a lot of people, so a lot of horses are fresh anyway. Coupled with spring grass coming through will make many horses more difficult to handle which may lead to more accidents.

Not to mention if we all stopped riding our horses for 4 months how many more accidents there would be when we all decide to get back on again!