hat or no hat?!

H-J

www.piczo.com
Not sure if this has already been posted as havent been on that regular.

What does every one think of the hat debat in H&H last week and yesterday?

As I just read a post about Peter Storr falling off, so anybody can fall off! Isnt it just stupid to ride in no hat?!

Do these people think they are invincible?! Your thoughts??

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Each to their own. I think it's almost a form of arrogance that some don't wear a hat - I just don't understand why they would risk themselves like that.

Dressage riders ride terribly long, even on youngsters - so stand no chance of staying on when something decides to have a 'jolly'. Why wouldn't you wear a hat???

Dogbetty141

Visit site
My thoughts are that anybody that is daft enough to ride without a hat is daft enough to fall off without wearing a hat!!! I have never ridden without a hat on anything could happen even on the calmest of horses!!

GinaB

Visit site
I would never ride without wearing a hat, no matter what I'm doing or what horse I'm riding. Re-inforced by the fact a few months ago I fell off while jumping and my head was the first part of my body to hit the ground.

Tempi

Visit site
i liked someones comment, think it was Spencer's actually, about Anky riding at the convention, pregnant and with no hat on. Like he said at the end of the day its her head she can do what she wants, shes not hurting anyone by riding without a hat on, its her choice.

JACQSZOO

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
i liked someones comment, think it was Spencer's actually, about Anky riding at the convention, pregnant and with no hat on. Like he said at the end of the day its her head she can do what she wants, shes not hurting anyone by riding without a hat on, its her choice.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree. If you have family and friends you would be hurting them should an awful accident happen.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Absolutely - unfortunately it's also the tax payers money when they get treated in hospital for a cracked nut.

How does that nursery rhyme go???

Humpty Dumpty sat on a wall........

vicm2509

Visit site
I always wear my hat and think its silly not to, I mean a hat costs nothing compared to what could happen if you fell off without one.

I think its quite the same as driving without a seatbelt, my OH never wears a seat belt as he says its uncomfy (yes stupid I know) and he has crashed without wearing it and suffered injuries which could have been reduced if he did wear it (they were nothing serious), yet he still doesnt wear it.

JACQSZOO

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
but Sjef obviously is happy for her to do it, and he does the same!

like i said, her choice and i dont see why people make such a big fuss about it.

[/ QUOTE ]

And what about her unborn baby? There could be huge implications there.

JACQSZOO

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
HER CHOICE!!!!!!!!!!!!

i will say it no more

*exits left*

[/ QUOTE ]

lmao no need to shout
mad.gif

mrdarcy

www.rockcrunchers.co.uk
I'm with the individual choice brigade. Personally I always ride with a hat - when I fall off I always seem to land on my head so it seems sensible! - but I know lots of people who don't (in the school anyway) and that's fine.

Someone I used to know would hack on the roads without a hat which I think is plain stupid but his motto was 'better dead than a vegetable'. I'm certainly of the thought that I'd rather be dead than severely brain damaged or in a PVS but there's so much that the medical profession can do these days (Richard Hammond for example) that I'd rather increase my survival odds and wear my hat.

pottamus

Visit site
I would never even sit on a horse without my hat on...those that ride with no hat are taking a huge risk. You only live once so you may aswell preserve yourself in what is classed as a very high risk past time and live as many healthy years as possible.
Statistics now say that horse riding is classed as more risky and dangerous than riding a motor bike...that says it all really!

flyingfeet

Visit site
Its definitely a choice, but I do think unfair to families!

My father had a fractured skull with a hat on, so without a hat, he wouldn't be here. Ok so that was riding a young horse, but I am not getting on any of mine without a hat.

I have a lovely lightweight hat that doesn't even mess up my hair. I cannot think of a good reason not to wear it....

DressageChick

Visit site
I think it is peoples own choice, However do feel people have a responsibility to their families. I wouldn't ride without a hat as feel unfair to my husband.

PoppyPony

Visit site
i really could do with those statistics on paper my boyfriend and I get into regular quarrels about which is more dangerous!! he won't let me ride his motorbike grrr.

to add to the debate I always wear a hat and anyone who even sits on my horse wears a hat, i think it is absolutely essential if you ride horses to limit the risks as much as possible

Vicki1986

Visit site
Stupid to ride without a hat. Thats my view and nothing that i read will change it. If i was having a photo taken (e.g. when i go to the beach i would like portrait shot done and dont really want an ugly hat in it) i would nip it off quickly but i know i wouldnt feel comfortable without it and would put it straight back on!!

foraday

Visit site
Always wear a hat! As a youngster we went to a riding school and these were in the days of hats without chinstraps.

The horse which had never had problems before reared up and slipped backwards on the road at the garage having bunting up. The riders hat obviously came off and he hit the road with his head-DOA at the hospital.

Anyone riding without a hat is mad!

I was surprised at going to rossdales the other day and as I drive in across the car park came a dressage horse being ridden by a hatless rider. How dangerous is that on a busy entrance used by horseboxes, cars, delivery lorries etc-how bad would a driver feel driving in and a horse rearing dropping the hatless rider onto the tarmac-seriously has no regard for others.

dwi

Visit site
I think that you ought to get charged for any hospital treatment you have if you fall off not wearing a hat. In the same way I'm really into walking and it makes me mad when people climb difficult mountains in the snow without the proper equipment and then call mountain rescue when they get stuck.

If I came off my scooter and I hadn't been wearing my helmet I assume I would lose my licence and it ought to be the same for horses.

eventingdiva

Visit site
I think it is a choice thing, in the same way that people have the choice as to whether or not to wear a body protector, and that we all chose to ride in the first place! x

kayleigh_and_rocky

www.kayleigh-nicholls.piczo.com
If you look at your insurance policy (if you are indeed insured as a rider) the insurance is deemed void if you are not wearing a riding hat
Personally though it is personal choice it just irresponsible to ride without a hat as if you fall can you only imagine what could happen to you? Agree with someone (sorry cant remember who) that its a form of arrogance riding without a hat - thinking your indestructable!

jemima

Visit site
I'm afraid I'm so old that when I learnt to ride you'd wear a hat for lessons and pony club rallies or riding on the road but not at any other time. I do now wear a hat and it was really brought home to me hom dangerous it was when I was a child when my daughter fell off at home on our fen soil and must have hit the only stone on the field. It put a hole in her hat. If it had been me at her age there is no way I would have been wearing a hat.

I wear a hat always now - but I'm interested to know how many of you change your hat every time you come off in it (if your head has hit the ground) or every time it gets dropped? I do!