Hat sizing

Sheep

Visit site
Does anyone know if there is any difference in the Charles Owen YR hats vs the adult ones?

Horse decided to eat the harness on my Ayr8 ? and the YR version is substantially cheaper. The only difference I can see is the harness is nylon in the YR.

Widgeon

Visit site
I don't think there's any difference, I bought a new Charles Owen recently (for myself) and the fitter in the shop told me the only difference was the cheaper harness. So obviously I bought the £65 YR8 rather than the "adult" version for more than twice the price!!

Sheep

Visit site
I don't think there's any difference, I bought a new Charles Owen recently (for myself) and the fitter in the shop told me the only difference was the cheaper harness. So obviously I bought the £65 YR8 rather than the "adult" version for more than twice the price!!

This is exactly what I wanted to hear ???

JGC

Visit site
The price difference is because of the VAT difference - I have a massive head so can't take advantage :D

Shay

Visit site
JGC is right - there is no VAT on child's clothing. If you are small enough always buy child's clothes, shoes, hats etc.

Reactions: JGC

Widgeon

Visit site
The price difference is because of the VAT difference - I have a massive head so can't take advantage :D

I know this is the real reason for price differentials, but with the Charles Owen hats I'm not sure it entirely explains it - YR8 is £65 but the absolute cheapest I can see the adult version anywhere online is £100 - and the average is more like £120-£150. VAT would only be £13, so that's still an unexplained difference of between £20 and £80.

I have no idea who has £120 to spend on a hat when you might need a new one at any time. Maybe people who are really confident of not falling off?!

Kat

Visit site
There will be other differences too, like the harness and possibly some difference in finish, possibly the lining and whether/what sort of bag/box they come with. They need to justify which model is for adults and which for children.

HeyMich

Visit site
I have the YR8 but I find it squishes the top of my ears down, and after a while they hurt (I only use it when I need a skull with silk - so now associate XC with sore ears). Strange design quirk!

Kids must have smaller ears... Oh, hang on...

planete

Visit site
i have just bought a Charles Owen JS1 Pro jockey skull for £66.85 including postage from Old Mill saddlery through eBay. My head is too big for a child' s hat.

Widgeon

Visit site
There will be other differences too, like the harness and possibly some difference in finish, possibly the lining and whether/what sort of bag/box they come with. They need to justify which model is for adults and which for children.

yes that's true, the fancier harness and nicer lining probably bump the price up. I will just be thankful for my small head - even if it is a funny oval shape!!

teapot

Visit site
Have a look at the standards - the more standards the hat has got, the more expensive it is as it's gone through more testing. Fairly sure the junior/young rider version isn't the same as the Ayr8! Not to mention fit, build, design.