Hat standards and insurance

MrsNorris

Visit site
Just been told today that if I'm wearing a hat which doesn't comply with the new standard and I'm in an accident of any kind, my insurance will be invalid.
Had no idea this was the case, and wonder if it's just me that didn't realise the full implications of the new hat standards?
I have a compliant hat which I use for lessons, outings etc but it's not as comfy as my other hat which I wear for hacking, my comfy hat's not very old, maybe 2 years, but has the old standard.

Luci07

Visit site
who told you that? I have never read in any insurance that you even have to wear a hat! "perhaps" they meant when you were competing?

horselady

Visit site
I think you have to wear a hat compliant with the current safety regulations when hacking on roads anyway. I am not entirely sure though tbh.

MrsNorris

Visit site
who told you that? I have never read in any insurance that you even have to wear a hat! "perhaps" they meant when you were competing?

Riding school owner, applies to all situations apparently, BHS gold insurance, rider and third party, not valid if wearing non compliant hat. I'd not heard anything about that and was pretty shocked tbh.

Luci07

Visit site
Riding school owner, applies to all situations apparently, BHS gold insurance, rider and third party, not valid if wearing non compliant hat. I'd not heard anything about that and was pretty shocked tbh.

I would read your insurance policy carefully because I have never seen that before

WelshD

Visit site
The standards of hats used for some disciplines are strict but there are other hats out there that do not meet the specific standard but do have other recognised standards

One particular showing hat was suddenly obsolete for showing in most cases. The standard it has is current but from a showing point of view its no longer allowed. It can still be used by riders at home and out hacking though

So perhaps they are getting confused with competition rules regarding hats which isnt necessarily the same thing as overall safety standards

teddypops

Visit site
If you are riding at a riding school, wearing your own hat, it would have to be the standard required for their insurance. Is this what they meant? Otherwise, you can wear or not whatever hat you want unless competing where you must have the standard required by that.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I think you have to wear a hat compliant with the current safety regulations when hacking on roads anyway. I am not entirely sure though tbh.

Only if you are a kid (u 14 I think).

Or being employed to ride, but that is under risk assessment of the employer so slightly different.

MrsNorris

Visit site
If you are riding at a riding school, wearing your own hat, it would have to be the standard required for their insurance. Is this what they meant? Otherwise, you can wear or not whatever hat you want unless competing where you must have the standard required by that.

Well that's what I always thought, but that's not what she said. We got talking about it because my daughter is riding one of their horses on an accompanied hack, so needs the correct standard hat, and I'm just tagging along on my own horse. She said my insurance would be void if I wore my comfy, non-compliant hat. Bit confused now, will phone BHS in the morning..

MrsNorris

Visit site
Just found this on the BHS website:-

Q: I am a BHS Gold member. Will I be expected to wear a hat which meets the new requirements?
A: The BHS Gold members’ policy does not have a particular stipulation regarding the type of hat that needs to be worn. However it does have a reasonable precautions condition. This means that all reasonable precautions need to be taken to prevent an incident at all times. Therefore should an accident arise, insurers may feel that you have not taken the relevant precautions by not wearing the most up to date safety hat. It may not mean that they would not pay out, it may just mean that any damages could be reduced due to contributory negligence.

So they could, in fact, refuse to pay out...

Shay

Visit site
There is normally a "reasonable precautions" clause in all insurance policies. You can't just leave your car unlocked, or your valuables sitting on a table etc and expect the insurance to pick up the tab.

But the issue of wearing an up to standard hat - or no hat at all - would result in a different type of claim. I struggle to visualize a third party liability claim on BHS gold when you are the member and riding your own horse and where the standard of your hat played a part in the claim.

If you had someone riding your horse, they fell and were injured and claimed against you as the owner and they were not wearing a suitable hat the sum paid to them may be reduced. (Or actually increased if it is a child..) But that would not affect you as the rider / member.

If you had personal accident cover, rider insurance or medical cover for yourself and had an accident where the standard of the hat was in play then not wearing one or not having an up to standard one might impact your payout.

In the scenario you describe OP the closest I could come to visualizing a claim would be if you were riding, had a fall, got splatted (sorry!) and then one of the other riders tried to sue the school for distress having witnessed something horrible which could have been prevented by wearing an up to standard hat. But that is (I hope) a fairly unlikely scenario.

Insurance aside though - I know people do buy and wear out of standard hats because they are "just hacking" - and I accept that there are equestrian sports which are more dangerous. But accidents happen everywhere. For me I prefer to use the best standard hat I can. For me I feel that I owe that to my family. But that is just my view and I entirely accept that others have different views.

pennyturner

Visit site
Would be a requirement for riding school insurance, were you to make a claim for an injury.
Your own 3rd party wouldn't be affected, and there is NO requirement for a hat of any kind for anyone 15 years or older for riding on the highway. Under 15 it is a legal requirement when riding any equine in any circumstances (although hat standard isn't specified). Not sure how they get around it for donkey rides on the beach.