Hate it when people put me down!

RubysGold

Visit site
My friend just bought his first horse. An ex racing tb. He's a sweet lad, really calm and genuine. Not been schooled since he stopped racing, his previous owner used to just 'zigzag' the reins until he went in an outline and she never cantered in the two years she's had him.
I have been lunging him on the days his new owner works. The other day we decided to lunge him with a rider on, me being the rider. He was really good and i even got a canter out of him, it wasnt bad to say he hasnt cantered for two years.
smile.gif

But then one of the liverys came round saying that my reins were too short and that i needed to have them longer when i ride.
I know that its quite a petty comment, not something i should be bothered about, but i have no confidence in my riding and it doesnt take much to make me feel like a bad rider! I'm not a great rider but i know how to hold my reins!
Sorry its a long post
Nickie

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
Ah, the joys of the horse world. There's always someon who 'knows better'! Whenever I get a comment I think, is there any justification in what they're saying, and if I'm happy that what I'm doing is right I just ignore it. In this world you have to, or you end up a gibbering wreck! You've done good
smile.gif

Mavis

Visit site
there will always be someone who knows better! I have had horses (and ponies) for 30ish years and one of the liveries came up to me the other day, puffing his chest in the way that people crammed with new knowledge do, and informed me (using his few months worth of knowledge) that my lungeing was rubbish, I shouldnt lunge off the bit (I had NO contact), and I was asking for canter all wrong.

I actually allowed him to take over, bring my horse in on a 10m circle and terrify my horse into cantering in a panicky, fast and unbalanced circle. I was so annoyed with myself, but Im such a wimp and my confodence is crushed very easily.
crazy.gif

RubysGold

Visit site
mrsmozart: your right, i will just ignore it. Its just coz she owns tb's herself so she assumes shes always right! and as ive never ridden a tb i thought maybe she was, but my friends have told me shes wrong.
Ethel: Thanks that makes me feel a lot better
laugh.gif

My friend was with us making sure both of us were doing the right thing, and he said i was doing fine and just to ignore her.
Sometimes its easier said then done though lol
Nickie

amc

Visit site
Nixie, just ignore them, I used to have TB's years ago and they were all individual as all horses are, some you would ride on a long rein, maintaining the slightest contact others needed a shorter rein to feel more confident, there are no rules written in stone, perhaps the person who offered advice should count herself lucky if all her TB's behave in the same manner and all respond to the same treatment, I think you have done very well indeed and wish you lots of luck continuing with this horse, above all enjoy it !

Sali

Visit site
I dread to think what she'd think of my reins then.

Ignore it, no matter where you go you will always find someone who 'knows better'.

I agree with above, you've done really well. Enjoy it - it's why we put up with the cold dark nights isnt it?!

Kenzo

Visit site
If what you were doing was working well for you and your friends horse, then just crack on as you were doing

I'm sure the horse would of let you know if your reins were too short, trust me an ex racer would tell you if they objected to something!

Having said that sometimes you have to take these comments and also make use of them...sometimes and only sometimes these people can be right (perhaps not in this case) but I do think if someone points something out to someone, then is it a good idea to take a rain check (pardon the pun
grin.gif
) and double check kinda thing.
smile.gif

If your not confident or capable would your friend be wanting you to help them? also if you ever feeling a bit unsure, you could always have lesson just to polish up and give you a confidence boost that you may need.
smile.gif

clipclop

Visit site
Me thinks you is being too touchy!!

You should have thanked the Livery for her input and given it a try.

I love it when people make suggestions to improve my riding. Some people have the ability to do it in a nice way and some people don't. But advice is advice.

Why don't you try it out? I myself am a right so and so for keeping the front end too short. I am always being told to let go.

You are doing a great job just allow people to offer help and advice, after all it is free.
grin.gif

Shannagolden

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
mrsmozart: your right, i will just ignore it. Its just coz she owns tb's herself so she assumes shes always right! and as ive never ridden a tb i thought maybe she was, but my friends have told me shes wrong.
Ethel: Thanks that makes me feel a lot better
laugh.gif

My friend was with us making sure both of us were doing the right thing, and he said i was doing fine and just to ignore her.
Sometimes its easier said then done though lol
Nickie

[/ QUOTE ]

If you doing OK then just ignore her, and if things do go wrong then get advice off a trusted instructor. Busybodys are always generous with advice but its a bit mean just to start interfering uninvited when somebodys working with a horse. Take no notice I'm sure you'll be OK
wink.gif

Shannagolden

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
one of the liveries came up to me the other day, puffing his chest in the way that people crammed with new knowledge do,

[/ QUOTE ]

HA HA very well put
grin.gif