Hate puissance: Am I the only one ?

Theresa_F

Visit site
Sitting just in front of the wall at HOYS 2 years ago was fantastic and my OH was amazed by the height the horses jumped.

I love watching it - although I do equally enjoy watching a good speed class.

None of the horses looked as though they were being forced or unwilling.

teapot

Visit site
I've seen it on tv and I saw it live at Olympia a couple of years ago

You cannot make a horse jump that wall if it doesn't want to; and gone are the days of it being buit with solid stuff. Not sure what it is now, but obviously lighter and moves with a nudge.

IMHO - what's the difference between making a horse jump a 7ft wall and taking a horse around the Hickstead Derby?. For those of us who have stood at the bottom of that bank on the course walk - you then realise what it is really like.

Plus, the derby course is bigger and longer than a usual class. When I first went to Hickstead, I was amazed at how big that arena actually is. TV is very deceptive.

Nikiolola

Visit site
Hypothetically, I don't think that chase-me-charlies are a wonderful idea. The horse is jumped higher and higher until it reaches it's limits and knocks or refuses. Whatever happened to ending on a good note? Surely this dents the horses confidence? and for this reason (and I don't have the guts!) I wouldn't do one.

But then I doubt proffesional riders would do anything to upset/scare their horse, and they know a lot more than me about the puissence, so I don't have an objection to it.

And I must admit it makes compulsive veiwing!

PoppyPony

Visit site
you could say that riding is pointless! but both riders and (most i hope) horses actually enjoy their work.

my old SJ pony loved chase me charlies and I can't see there is any difference except the height.

Weezy

Visit site
(using QR)

Regarding my comment about yards no longer ensuring they have a Puissance horse I absolutely 100% stand by that comment!!! If you go back some years most of the top riders had a horse especially for Puissance, now there are less of these classes and they are not as lucrative as before riders find no need for a horse that he cannot bring out on a regular basis - as for Pearl Moore's Eperlan du Fouquet, he is one of very few Puissance horses around as far as I am aware (hence my comment "I truely thought we had moved on from that")

Of course while the top courses get more technical and demanding scope is not enough and not all horses are suited to these courses but can skip 7ft easily - I am not damning a horse having a job it is good at, just saying it is more rare for a rider to maintain a Puissance horse these days

*awaits to be shot down*

flohelf

Visit site
Woooow, hold your horses...! Was just voicing an opinion based on rather bad memories I had of local Puissance shows quite a long time ago. If it's a "clean" and popular sport in Britain, great !
smirk.gif

Can also tell you that over here, it is never on TV and does nothing for equestrian sports coverage or popularity.
All I can say is that I seem to be the only one to feel that way. No problemo !
smile.gif
I still much better watch eventing or GP SJ or just horses peacefully grazing in their field
laugh.gif

As for the gossip, vicious rumor bit (which it wasn't regarding the puissance I was referring to), it wouldn't be the first time on the forum, would it ?
smirk.gif
grin.gif

flohelf

Visit site
Just happened to be on site as my horse was competing in the SJ. The puissance was on at the end of the day for the local professional riders and that's how I ended up seeing it. The first time, I stayed to see what it was like and that was the end of it for me.
frown.gif

The second time, I sort of got trapped...
mad.gif

MagicMelon

Visit site
I dont have a problem with it. Like most, I find it exciting to watch and it doesnt exactly upset the horses. Its a test of confidence in their rider, a test of courage! I think courage and trust is exactly what makes the horse so special. Asking why its special to see them jump big, well thats like asking why Grand Prix's are so big! I think most horses would probably prefer to jump one massive fence than an entire course of beefy fences.

Obviously in the 'olden days' (!) they used to jump on anything, like grass surface. However, the surface they do it on now is amazing - concussion is kept to a real minimum (which I believe would be the main thing to send the odd horse lame). Ive done the odd Chase me Charlie (obviously way smaller than they do!) and it is exciting to see how scopey your horse is.