sweets123545

Visit site
Hello everyone. I’m wanting to buy a new helmet soon. I’m particularly interested in KEP hats and just wondered if there was a stockist in the south east where you can go and try/have one fitted. Obviously with Covid restrictions in place and when lockdown is lifted as I don’t think buying a new helmet would be classed as essential right now!

Would be even better if said place had other helmet brands I can try as KEP may not be a good fit for my head shape :).

Thank you

VioletStripe

Visit site
Where abouts in SE are you? I know a lot of people rate the fitting/range of products at Ingatestone, but that might not be a convenient destination!

I would think twice about KEP as well - having a search on here was very enlightening and I personally would never ever buy one....

JackFrost

Visit site
Based on my recent experience: take yourself to a large stockist (when you're allowed out again!) - one that has loads of different hats, and will let you try them all on. I went through about 20 before finding the 'right' one, and it was all about the fit of the hat, not the make. Each make and model fitted differently, and the sizing seemed pretty random.
P.S. Lot of recent studies recommend 'MIPS' as the future for safety hats in sports.

sweets123545

Visit site
Where abouts in SE are you? I know a lot of people rate the fitting/range of products at Ingatestone, but that might not be a convenient destination!

I would think twice about KEP as well - having a search on here was very enlightening and I personally would never ever buy one....

I’m in Portsmouth area. Oh really? I’ve heard nothing but good reviews and I personally know a few people who ride in them and love them! I suppose that’s like any brand It won’t be for everyone! :)

sweets123545

Visit site

VioletStripe

Visit site
I’m in Portsmouth area. Oh really? I’ve heard nothing but good reviews and I personally know a few people who ride in them and love them! I suppose that’s like any brand It won’t be for everyone! :)

I wouldn't say a brand which literally falls to pieces upon minor impact is for anyone - I would view the thread ycbm posted...

sweets123545

Visit site
T
Based on my recent experience: take yourself to a large stockist (when you're allowed out again!) - one that has loads of different hats, and will let you try them all on. I went through about 20 before finding the 'right' one, and it was all about the fit of the hat, not the make. Each make and model fitted differently, and the sizing seemed pretty random.
P.S. Lot of recent studies recommend 'MIPS' as the future for safety hats in sports.

Thank you :)

VioletStripe

Visit site
thank you I had a read and tried looking at the photos but my phone wouldn’t allow me! This was nearly 6 years ago so I would have thought they have got better since then. Reason I was looking into kep is because I’ve seen nothing but positive reviews

My 2* eventer friend was an ambassador until 4months ago, and I heave heard numerous occurrences where the helmets literally fall to pieces - on top of abysmal/snarky customer service, unwilling to take on important research or feedback. Most reviews are made for pure riding wear/comfort, NOT when an accident actually occurs. I will leave it there.

Can't personally recommend anywhere around Portsmouth but as JJ said - go somewhere with as large as range as possible to try on and get professionally fitted!

sweets123545

Visit site
I wouldn't say a brand which literally falls to pieces upon minor impact is for anyone - I would view the thread ycbm posted...

Yes I did read and what a scary experience it must have been for that lady. That was nearly 6 years ago and to be honest I’ve only ever seen positive reviews about them. The reason I posted this thread was to find a stockist/shop locally to me where I can discuss needs and try on different helmets, so I can get the best fit for my head shape and of course, most importantly find one which offers me the best protection.

I really like the look of KEPs and also Antarés so hoping either of the two will work :)

sweets123545

Visit site
H
My 2* eventer friend was an ambassador until 4months ago, and I heave heard numerous occurrences where the helmets literally fall to pieces - on top of abysmal/snarky customer service, unwilling to take on important research or feedback. Most reviews are made for pure riding wear/comfort, NOT when an accident actually occurs. I will leave it there.

Can't personally recommend anywhere around Portsmouth but as JJ said - go somewhere with as large as range as possible to try on and get professionally fitted!

Thank you for your feedback I will take that on board :)

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Yes I did read and what a scary experience it must have been for that lady. That was nearly 6 years ago and to be honest I’ve only ever seen positive reviews about them. The reason I posted this thread was to find a stockist/shop locally to me where I can discuss needs and try on different helmets, so I can get the best fit for my head shape and of course, most importantly find one which offers me the best protection.

I really like the look of KEPs and also Antarés so hoping either of the two will work :)

Just ask KEP themselves if they are still designed to fall apart on impact "for safety". I'm sure we'd all like to see what answer you get.

If so, look at MIPS hats, currently believed to be the safest standard. It stands for MULTIPLE Impact Protection System, in recognition of the fact that many falls from bikes and horses result in more than one impact.

If a KEP hat falls to pieces, the second impact is the one that's going to kill you.

The hat meets only the safety standards met by other non MIPS hats. The only reason to buy one is the look and fit. The look is fashion and the fit can be found elsewhere for a lot less money without risking the kind of customer service displayed in that six year old thread. I don't u derstand why anyone thinking of safety would buy a helmet which is made of two pieces stuck together instead of a single continuous outer shell.

ETA I've just shown my engineer husband a picture of a current KEP and he says he would not want me to wear one. In his words "anything with a join has a weak point". Neither of us are sticklers for the last word in safety. I wear cross country bike hats to ride and he's happy with that.

Last edited: