Have any of you any experience with Onduline Roofing Panels ...

TTK

Visit site
http://www.roofing-sheets.co.uk/ these are the tin roofing people, they do all sorts of finishes including pantiles. Yes there is a noise when it rains but I find it rather nice to be in the stable or tack room, warm and dry, and hearing the rain drumming on the roof. Better a little noise than crap leaky roofs! Good luck.

Editing to say I see Sebastian agrees with me about the noise being soothing.

Last edited:

Suelin

Visit site
I have onduline roofing on 2 stables that have been up 11 years. They are put over sterling board panels and have never leaked, sagged or failed in any way yet. Newer stables, been up 6 years constructed the same way are just as good. Maybe we've been lucky but I have no complaints.

Eaglestone

Visit site
Thank you all once again for all your help, which is invaluable :)

I was hoping Honey08 would reply to let me know what sealent she used, as that looks like a shorter term option to get me through the Winter, as it may now be too wet to get to the shelter, if heavy vehicles are involved with the delivery of the new materials.

Not that I had not been on the case, before the Autumn came :(

Dry Rot

Visit site
Bitumen impregnated cardboard!

Bitumen (basically the same as road tar) is, I think, what they call a super cooled liquid. It is stable at normal every day temperatures but it is still a liquid and so it flows, incredibly slowly, but it does move. That accounts for the problems at the nail holes and why it will sag unless supported.

Use steel box section. Do it right, do it once. Again, you will need to lay it on ply for a stable to prevent condensation drip but I just tacked up heavy grade polythene sheeting under the corrugated iron roof of my field shelter and that stops condensation too. BTW, I used cheap shuttering ply and just creosoted it and that works fine for the stable.

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
Hi, sorry, hadn't seen your question.

He used something that he got from B&Q. A tar based strip that basically stuck over the gaps. He said he had to apply a glue/solution either side of the gap, leave it an hour to go tacky, then stick the strips onto it. He couldn't remember the name but said B&Q would be able to tell you.

Ps, sorry for the not very technical reply! He's not here at the moment to give a better description!

Last edited:

Eaglestone

Visit site
Hi, sorry, hadn't seen your question.

He used something that he got from B&Q. A tar based strip that basically stuck over the gaps. He said he had to apply a glue/solution either side of the gap, leave it an hour to go tacky, then stick the strips onto it. He couldn't remember the name but said B&Q would be able to tell you.

Ps, sorry for the not very technical reply! He's not here at the moment to give a better description!

Thank you so much Honey08 :) .... I think I will be going down the 'repair' route this year :) x

Archers1

New User
Visit site
I realise that this thread has pretty much finished but I wanted to share our experience of Onduline roofing.

National Stables erected a set of stables for us with an Onduline roof in 2001.

The roof stated leaking at around 7-8 years after it was installed. After 10 years the roof gradually started sagging along the whole length of the stables to a point that it has resulted in pooling of water in the sheets and more leaking. The sheets are stained black underneath and rotten.

They are attached straight onto the purlins, nothing underneath. After reviewing the manufactures fitting instructions it looks like National Stables may not have followed them correctly.

On checking the Onduline warranty, it is guaranteed to remain weather proof for 15 years but only fully covered for the first 5. After that point their liability limited to a pro-rata replacement value. If they are confident that their product will last why is it only fully covered for 5 years? According to National Stables this product has an expected life span of only 15 years! www.onduline.co.uk/PDF/Onduline Guarantee General.pdf

Other people we have spoken to have said that they have had bad experiences with Onduline sheets also. My advice would be to avoid Onduline sheets.

Other complaints about Onduline: http://www.complaintsboard.com/complaints/onduline-c229412.html#c1367209

debsflo

Visit site
I had stables built by National Stables in 2001. the onduline roof is still on and water tight but sags in one corner so i am replacing this summer. i contacted them last year and got some more nails to secure it as having had a field shelter built by a local company who did a fab job and used boarding underneath and a lot more nails i wanted to secure it. Hadnt even realised that it should have had panels but luckily it has been fine.