Have horses ruinned your looks?

katastrophykat

Visit site
A couple of bent fingers, a fairly significant scar on right collarbone (been opened up 4 times and current metalwork sticks up off the end of the bone so I have a lump too). Said shoulder sits a good 3’’ above the other one and unless I’m really vigilant about the right bra strap, the right boob therefore sits 3’’ above the left...! Then there’s the left leg, scar from halfway down the left calf over the ankle, also full of metalwork and ankle somewhat lumpy, oh, right ankle currently (and usually...) puffy as I’m waiting for a new ligament after a bone chip popped off and took the ligament with it. That was about 18 months ago. Most recent collarbone one was March ‘17 and Left Leg July ‘17.
My hair resembles a bush, my face has that red ‘outdoor’ look about it and I don’t know how to apply make up!

Cloball

Visit site
My nose gets stuck to one side ever since I broke it and shattered the cartilage and my hands get stuck in a claw shape sometime when I wake in the morning. I think my job has aged me more than horses, I look permanently tired, haggered and pasty.

Auslander

Visit site
I'm definitely looking a bit weathered at the moment!

28279796_10156782179945730_3789933832436916609_n.jpg

eventer and proud

Visit site
I was going to say the same for me! I’m not even going to curse myself by saying anything but I’ve had worse “look altering” accidents from playing hockey

hahah I always manage to faceplant the Astro, I managed to bruise my kneecap and was limping about her words were "get off this pitch now I can't risk you for saturday" anyway I carried on only to find my leg covered in blood when i took my leggings of at home. (Safe to say i dint stop when she told me to just covered my limping up best i could)

Mule

Visit site
I've got sunburnt way too often.I'm a bit weathered looking. No scars though:thumbup:

saddlesore

Visit site
Yes! Due to breaking my ankle 3 times and notable damage to my spine and pelvis I walk oddly. This has added to the destruction of my knees which riding then makes worse. I come out in hives every spring when his coat changes and my nails have to be kept insanely short due to peeling. Oh and I also have a cankle and arthritis in my left ankle and toes 👍🏼 Like others though, I’m slim and fit 🤣

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I've got away lightly by the sound of it!

Two bent fingers, one shoulder higher than the other, one wrist on a bit wonky, scar under my chin and obvious tooth marks through my lip.

My ruined looks, if I ever had any to ruin, are due more to age than horses!

Snowfilly

Visit site
I feel fairly lucky! I am ugly as sin so no amount of makeup will ever make a difference, but riding keeps me at a sensible weight, with some decent muscles and posture so I can get away with jeans and a t-shirt and not look like a slob. Hair is kept short and work is fairly casual so I get away with dark trousers and a nice top.

All my scars are non horse related - football, ice skating and appendix.

MuddyMonster

Visit site
I've broken a few toes and have a scar on my knee, but other than that ...

I will admit to cleansing, toning & moisturise religiously. I wear a factor 50 moisturiser daily all year round & wear make up with SPF in pretty much dailly even if only going to the yard. I have my eyebrows shaped & tinted monthly & use gel nail polish which lasts two weeks without chipping. I've cut my long hair into a long bob as it takes less time to dry, straighten & style daily. I wear perfume daily & may as well have shares in Hemp handcream!

I'm not saying I'm super glamarous or fantastic looking as I'm not - I was the feed store this afternoon before going onto the yard in jogging bottoms tucked into long socks with my driving loafers, an old jumper of my boyfriend's and a gilet which came from Primark appoximately 6234 years ago :D - but to to make a bit of an effort most of the time.

Landcruiser

Visit site
What a funny looking lot we are. I think my cars suffer more than I do to be honest, they are always full of bits of tack and old rugs and a lavish layer of filth.
I've broken a few bones but only have one significant scar down my thumb, which was popped open like a plum last year when I got trampled. I agree about horses helping with weight management, sadly they don't quite cut it so I'm a serial yo yo dieter. I wear make up if I'm properly dressing up, ie almost never. My hair is cut as short as reasonably possible because I can't be @rsed to do anything with it.

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
Only just noticed my typo in the title. Yes we must be a funny looking lot, Landcruiser. From some of the responses, I have come off lightly (touches wood).

SEL

Visit site
Last week in the cold wind I ended up with chapped skin all down one side of my face - couldn't cover that up with make up! My hair is rougher than the latest straw delivery.

Can eat what I want though - nothing like trudging through muddy fields at the whim of 2 horses for using up calories.

indie1282

Visit site
I think it depends. I don't really wear make up if I'm going to the yard and I usually scrape my hair up in a bun with a headband.

But I have a professional job and do sometimes meet clients so I always wear make up, have my hair done and like wearing fashionable clothes. Whenever I'm not at the yard I always dress as above and like to have and wear nice things!

Luckily I'm not too battered but have the obligatory knee/shoulder/back aches and pains like everyone else involved with horses! 🤣

Lammy

Visit site
Yes! The (horse) kick I took to the head a few years ago has left me with a Harry Potter-esque scar on my forehead. But thankfully that's all I got so quite lucky really :)

Also got a wonky knee and ankle, and I class that as my good leg!
Why do we have horses?

JJS

Visit site
The nails on both big toes have been stepped on so many times they're deformed, so sandals are a no-go. My hair, which was once styled daily, has to be left natural now, otherwise I'd end up tearing it out in frustration at the inevitable mess it ends up in. I also sport a permanent layer of mud from October through to April. Aside from that and a bit of dry skin across my cheeks this winter, I think I'm doing okay.

Dave's Mam

Visit site
I am going to deviate the other way. My pony keeps me fit, being outdoors is a great remedy to an office job. OK, I have several injuries, but I think the benefits outweigh the downsides.

Firewell

Visit site
My hands are a mess too. Dry and arthritic and I have a broke toe that I never bothered getting fixed that is so wonky! I also suffer from sciatica and shoulder pain from a fracture I sustained through a fall off my pony as a child.
I do have an amazing arse though ;) and despite 2 kids a flat stomach. So I may feel stiff and in pain but I at least look Ok lol and like others I can eat what I want.

I do look a horrendous mess at the yard. I can't understand those glam horsie girls, I only have to spend 2 seconds and I'm covered in dust and filth and my mascara has smudged down my face so I don't bother with appreances at the yard at all. And I don't care about what I wear which means I always ride in my most comfy thread bare dublin jods and an ex bfs jumper from 15 years ago. The only must is a face full of SPF 35 which I cover myself in every morning and lunch time.

Away from the yard it's a different story. I hate going out in public looking a mess so I always wear nice clothes and I always wear light make up (not a fan of heavy makeup) and the fine jewelry my husband bought me. I get my hair highlighted every 5 weeks, my nails done every 2 and my eyebrows shaped and tinted every 3. I also cleanse and moisturise twice a day and I exfoliate and do a face mask once or twice week.

It's funny because I literally am 2 different people. My yard friends only see me looking like worzle and my non horse friends always think I look and smell perfect. When ever they see the other side of me neither group can believe it's me ha ha! I even have a different car to drive! Horse truck for the yard and clean car for non horsie outings.

Reacher

Visit site
Looks, bank balance, sanity.... all of it!

Hahaha!
Yet another arthritic hands, also knees and hip, but you can't see them. lump on thigh due to haematoma, again not visible. Feel like I've got off lightly, though don't want to jinx it! Main worry is hip becomes too stiff in future too be able to ride.

windand rain

Visit site
I never had good looks to ruin but the ponies have kept me alive physically emotionally and strangely financially as it has made me a scrooge when it come to the unnecessary spending. I am old, diabetic food addict and have a family history of heart disease so not doing the horses would result in obesity heart failure and early death. Not saying I dont have aches and pains they are a constant with all old horse owners but I am so pleased I have them as it means I am fit and mostly very well

Keith_Beef

Novice equestrian, accomplished equichetrian
Visit site
I've only been riding regularly for about four years, so there's not been much time for accidents.
In any case, I don't have much in the way of "looks" to get ruined, and for blokes it doesn't seem to matter so much. The odd scar here or there is supposed to be "character"...

I separated my left shoulder skiing in 2006 or 2007; that hangs slightly lower, is slightly less strong and gives me a slight twinge of pain when I work it too hard, but still has full mobility.

The only horse related disfigurement is in my right thumb; it's still a bit swollen and I've still not got back full mobility after a fall at the end of September 2017.

cobsarefab

Visit site
Most of my injuries you can only tell if you prod a bit chips here and there etc.
Never wear make up, have given up on having anything other than red, chapped hands. Mud everywhere usually some hay in my hair which is black so unfortunately quite noticeable. Other than that. I've got off lightly.