Have I left it too late?

MollyFell

Visit site
...to get my mare fit enough for this coming season? She's been out all summer, part of this on a track system, so does have a little residual fitness but not an awful lot. I can get cracking tomorrow and commit to riding every day/6 days per week

spacefaer

Visit site
Nope You're ok. Ideally you want 4-6 weeks walking from total turnout, so if you get going now, with some hound exercise thrown in, you'll be fine for autumn hunting.
Aiming for full fitness by opening meet would be a bit ambitious, as you should allow a min of 12 weeks, but as long as you remember to take it slow for the first month of the main season, I'd crack on

MollyFell

Visit site
Lol, yes - hunting. I may or may not have had a couple of cocktails with lunch hence not being more specific! ?

Fantastic, thanks guys. Fittening starts tomorrow, she won’t know what’s hit her. Funny how ‘fittening’ autocorrects to fattening which she’d find preferable

MollyFell

Visit site
Nope You're ok. Ideally you want 4-6 weeks walking from total turnout, so if you get going now, with some hound exercise thrown in, you'll be fine for autumn hunting.
Aiming for full fitness by opening meet would be a bit ambitious, as you should allow a min of 12 weeks, but as long as you remember to take it slow for the first month of the main season, I'd crack on

Brill. I don’t mind leaving early if she needs to, hopefully be up to full fitness come Christmas

Orangehorse

Visit site
Long, long ago, the August Bank Holiday used to be at the beginning of August - can't remember if it was the first or second Monday.

Tradition was to get the hunters in after that Bank Holiday, or at least start walking them in preparation for the next season.

And then at the end of the season, to have them roughed off and out by Easter, although we know that Easter can vary quite a lot from the end of March to end of April.