Have I missed something all these years?

Madam_max

Visit site
I was just reading a post in comp riders about showing attire, and I really always thought that the loop on the side of the saddle at the back was for the remaining stirrup leather to go through, but apparently it's not.
confused.gif
What's it for then?
blush.gif

JM07

Visit site
i thought they were "saddle bag" stay's????

nothing whatsoever to do with leathers???......

i never put my leathers in them...never have, TBH.

JM07

Visit site
i was always taught that leathers should only be arms length buckle underarm, stirrup in palm....the rest is just a maximum of 4 holes....

JM07

Visit site
am assuming then, that your leathers are yours...as they would have been if you were in the Military.

i have "my" leathers for 2 ponies.....

Maisy

Visit site
I always thought thats what they were for too! My leathers are waaaaaaayyyy to long and they would be all over the place if i didnt tuck them in there!!

What else are they for if not for leathers??

Smash

Visit site
No idea. Stupid name - I have always known it used for the stirrup leather and will continue to do so until the person who said it was incorrect can show me otherwise.

Haniki

Visit site
On modern saddles they are for the spare end of the stirrup leather - otherwise you would have 3 thicknesses of stirrup leather under your thigh.

sade1986

Visit site
I have always put the end of the stirrup leather through that loop too. Have always been told to stick it through that loop by riding instructors aswell. I am curious to what possible use it can have other than this.

Ahrena

Visit site
Well...After someone said that on my thread as linked, I asked my saddler today as he came to check some flocking in 1 of my saddles and he said it WAS for the leathers?

And didn't know or couldn't think of what else it could possibly be for...

help1

Visit site
I was always taught you shouldn't as it stopped the stirrups from releasing if your foot got stuck.....but saying that this was in a time when you were taught to grip with your knees....jump without saddles and reins and jute rugs were commonplace!

teapot

Visit site
You're not meant to because of the safety aspect I think incase you fall off and take the stirrup & leather with you
crazy.gif
The original origins of having keepers there probably related to the military. Shall ask my saddler friend when I next her
grin.gif

A surcingle is what you use to keep rugs without belly straps in place, kinda old school. Like so (but obviously with a rug): http://www.equineclothing.co.uk/img/mini/mini_elastic_surcingle.jpg

alsxx

Visit site
I was once told by a rather 'old school' saddler that they were originally put there for an overgirth to go through and they helped keep them in place, and were angled horizontally (if you look at some old saddles this is true) but because people started putting leathers through them it caught on and they were angled to accomodate this.

Natch

Visit site
Well well well. What a variety of answers!

TBH I don't use mine unless I'm at a show but I always thought they were for stirrup leathers.

piaffe

Visit site
Well, I have a KN and I don't have a loop, I have a slit through the saddle flap, in its place......explain that then???
crazy.gif
confused.gif

bexandspooky

Visit site
Erm - if they are not for the leathers to go through....then why are they perfectly angled for that?!

I have and always will use them for that reason.....because it is the right reason!!!

Tia

Visit site
QR -

In olden days I never used to use that loop for putting the leathers through as it was not designed for this usage ... however these days the loops are there to have the leathers put through, so I now use them for keeping my excess leathers out of the way.

Saddles are quite different today from what they were yesteryear, and as such I moved with the times on this one.
smile.gif

piaffe

Visit site
I have never actually used mine for the stirrup leathers when riding because i was told not to when i was training.

I was told that they were for when you run the stirrup leathers up and anchor them with the leathers.does that make sense? Probably not!