Have read so much stuff about tow bars and still confused!

Welshie194

New User
Visit site
Hi, all. I know there's loads of info about tow bars, but I'm still a bit unsure. I've just bought a freelander with a tow bar already attached, and not sure if it's the right type to tow a horse trailer? It'll be a single lightweight trailer that we're renting for a few days. I've attached a photo of said tow bar in case that helps? Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG-20200729-WA0000.jpg
    IMG-20200729-WA0000.jpg
    174.9 KB · Views: 43

9tails

Visit site
It is the right type, but IMO it looks quite low. There are usually three settings for the tow ball that you can adjust by the bolts either side. I have mine on the highest otherwise the nose of the trailer gets pulled down which in turn then lifts the back of your car when you put a horse in the trailer. So check whether the trailer goes on without having to lean on the trailer hitch.

Welshie194

New User
Visit site
It is the right type, but IMO it looks quite low. There are usually three settings for the tow ball that you can adjust by the bolts either side. I have mine on the highest otherwise the nose of the trailer gets pulled down which in turn then lifts the back of your car when you put a horse in the trailer. So check whether the trailer goes on without having to lean on the trailer hitch.

Great thanks. I'll get my husband to check and adjust it. Thank you! ?

9tails

Visit site
I would never use a detachable towbar, but yours isn't one of those. For reference, a detachable towbar always looks like an erect member to me. They're also called a swan neck. They're not safe for anything other than the light recreational trailers to haul your rubbish to the tip.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
It does look like a ‘proper‘ towbar, and judging by the twin electrics and protector plate it has probably been used for hauling a caravan.

Not all tow balls can be adjusted for height, though, which is a pain. The use of ‘drop’ plates to lower the tow ball height is permitted, but ‘riser’ plates are not.

holeymoley

Visit site
I would never use a detachable towbar, but yours isn't one of those. For reference, a detachable towbar always looks like an erect member to me. They're also called a swan neck. They're not safe for anything other than the light recreational trailers to haul your rubbish to the tip.

Not all swan necks are detachable. I have a fixed swan neck.

phizz4

Visit site
https://www.pfjones.co.uk/towball-heights.html There are EU rules about the height of tow bars. Some cars have two different sets of mounting points, most don't. Adjustable mounting plates should only be used with caution, as they can put unwanted stress on the various components. You will most often see big 4x4''s such as Range Rovers with a mounting plate that has several sets of mounting holes, not drop plates or riser plates. Your's is called a bolt on ball and can be changed if it has worn or gone rusty. Both these and swan's necks can be fixed or detachable and can be welded or bolted. My last car had a fixed swan's neck that was bolted into place. My previous car had a detachable swan's neck. Contrary to what others may think, a well maintained detachable ball is as safe as a fixed ball. They have to be to pass all of the safety tests. Failure is usually down to user error.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Contrary to what others may think, a well maintained detachable ball is as safe as a fixed ball. They have to be to pass all of the safety tests. Failure is usually down to user error.
But for whatever reason, detachable towballs fail in use much more frequently than fixed ones. They are likely grand when new, but do not cope with everyday use in the real world in less than perfect conditions. Then the manufacturer just blames the failure on ‘user error’. Barge pole.

Last edited:

Darbs

Visit site
Just to be clear, all manufaturer supplied detachable tow bars must be rated to the same as the published towing capacity of the vehicle. They cannot be a 'weak link' in the system. If a Land Rover is rated to tow 3500kg then the factory detachable tow bar must also be capable of taking it.

The issues with detachable tow bars come from poor maintenance and inspection for corrosion/damage, or incorrect installation.

Failures on Land Rover detachable tow bars were related to the tow bar being left fitted to the vehicle when not in use, so they vibrated and wore away the mounting socket and lock point.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
The issues with detachable tow bars come from poor maintenance and inspection for corrosion/damage, or incorrect installation.

Failures on Land Rover detachable tow bars were related to the tow bar being left fitted to the vehicle when not in use, so they vibrated and wore away the mounting socket and lock point.
Yes, everyday use by everyday punters led to the failures ?‍♂️.

Fixed tow balls are so much safer.