Have to ride a rearer....

Apalacia01

Visit site
Had to borrow a beast tomorrow so that I can hack out with a prospective sharer for the pony. Was hoping for one of the fun little ponies but have been dumped with a coloured who I know for sure rears, and does biggies too. Not really what I wanted .....apparently she does it when she has to stand still, or gets left behind. Great chaperone horse then!

She is ridden on the bottom ring of a 3 ring
blush.gif
- would this make it worse? She doesn't get ridden very much, and by someone who isn't very good (sorry to be rude) ....so what should I do? Give me tips!!! Can't really be bothered to hack around on 2 legs, and thinking I might just walk!!

Apalacia01

Visit site
Very good point - theres the one side that if my one behaves impeccably it makes her look good, but I know my mare ......poo. No, I can't get out of it, have organised it. Oh....I feel bad.....

Baileyhoss

Visit site
take your bike? or else, at least it will make your horse look wonderful to the sharer in comparison.

seriously tho' if you are concerned, I wouldn't ride it. I have got past the stage of riding nutters to help others or impress. Now I think how pissed off I would be if I couldn't work or couldn't ride my own horse due to injuring myself falling off someone else's nutjob.

But if you still want to, I would consider a standing martingale I don't know the horse or it's problems well enough to suggest a bit, but I wouldn't have thought a gag on the 3rd ring would help your cause.

F x

hellybelly6

Visit site
The bottom ring gag can encourage rearing as it puts an awful lot of pressure on the lips, bars, tongue and poll. A gag is better for horses which lean down on the bit.

You could try the gag with roundings to balance the gag action with the snaffle rein ring or go out with your bike!

I found when my horse reared not to pull on his mouth, to lean forward and keep him walking forward at all times. It was scarey during those times. He reared as he was napping and bucking and spining didnt work

Apalacia01

Visit site
I thought the same with the three ring - the pony is actually ridden now by a little (tiny girl) who won't hack it out as it has reared a couple of times, including right next to a dual carriageway. I figure I might sneakily put it up to the snaffle ring - it can't be that strong and I only want to walk.

I don't have anything paticularly important to do in the next couple of weeks, but would prefer not to be able to ride my own beast. May feign a dodgy knee. I will speak to YO (who is also its owner) in am and find out the nitty gritty. Thanks for the advice!

arwenplusone

www.freewebs.com

Do you know WHY she is ridden on the bottom ring of the gag?

I ride my mare like that and she is a rearer. I use the bit for a different reason and I don't find it makes her rearing any better or any worse (tho it can make some horses go over backwards but I expect if she was going to do this it would have happened by now).

I would ride her in it if that is what she is used to. If she does rear or threaten to, pull her head round to your toe and she will not be able to do it, then send her on calmly.

Failing that - take the bike!
grin.gif

hellybelly6

Visit site
You are welcome and I hope it all goes well.

The lower the ring on the gag, the higher the bit will be pulled into the lips with greater pressure. Encouraging the horse upwards.

Good luck and enjoy your hack.

x

Apalacia01

Visit site
Arwen - you are right - I shouldn't go messing with someone elses tack - the animal is ridden by a kid, so maybe with the extra weight of me and a deeper seat we should be alright. Should be an experience and will just keep a light contact and drive it forward.

I am so going to wimp out in the morning!

arwenplusone

www.freewebs.com
lol - well if you do ride on the bottom ring keep the contact, but keep it light. If horsey feels uptight or like rearing you can release the contact a little. Good luck - you'll probably be fine.
smile.gif

ladyt25

Visit site
Personally I would change the bit ring, I can't see you're intending on hooning about the countryside and i think the middle, more snaffle ring would be sufficient. I ride mine in a 3 ring gag, used to have it on the bottom ring for jumping but now have it on the 2nd one (although i don't think he really needs it) he leans on his bits though, but if he's feeling slly it does encourage him to throw his head upwards (he is not a rearer).

You may find it doesn't rear with you anyway as I tend to think they try sus you out first - if you get on determind and confident the horse will assume that you are.

OWLIE185

Visit site
Why ask for trouble? Do you really want to become a human vedgetable and become a finacial burden on society.

Apalacia01

Visit site
OWLIE - Hehe, that was a bit harsh. I really don't think it is going to kill me, and I have ridden rearers before....just can't really be bothered.

Lady T - Good plan - I am quite determined.

Thanks for all comments, I will attempt not to become a vegetable, its not really my main plan!

somethingorother

Visit site
I heard that 3 ring gags were supposed to be used with 2 reins like a pelham, which if you can use two reins may be a good plan, u could use it as a snaffle but still have the bottom ring if needbe. Also i think its a bit risky pulling the head to the side ive seen people be fallen over sideways on when doing this with a rearer. Agree with the standing martingale if you're really worried. Its not a massive tack change and im sure the owner would rather have that if shes sensible than have someone injured because her horse rears.... just IMO...

LindaW

Visit site
If you borrowed my horse, then changed it's tack and then something happened, there'd be hell to pay.

Doesn't matter what you intend to do - stuff happenens.