Have we got to the end

windand rain

Visit site
Little black git should have been shot years ago he escaped as he is containable away from people and is a great companion but his aggression has escalated in the passed few days.
He used to be fine as long as his tummy was full and he got lots of fuss but recently he is coming for the fuss but as soon as you touch him he goes on the attack teeth and if you don't take notice heels. Makes for interesting poo picking as he likes to be less than a foot from you. I will see how he goes as have put him a rug on and is due another strip of grass perhaps he is bored and possibly cold now the weather has changed.But I am thinking he is getting unsafe with me, he is not happy about something or is starting to hurt in his old age so his quality of life is deteriorating. For those that don't know he is a born bad pony who has been aggressive to some degree from the day he was born so not nurture but nature. Unfortunately it makes thing like the farrier dentists and vets difficult if not impossible. He is 16.5 years and has lived with me all his life He has injured quite a few people and threatened to injure more so not a nice pony I adore him or he would have been long gone but he used to like me too not so much recently So WWYD

holeymoley

Visit site
I always think you know your horse best. If you feel he’s not happy or have a gut feeling there’s something else going on then I’d trust that instinct. I would do as you have done- rug and increase forage. The weather has dramatically changed in the last week (for us anyway) and there’s definitely that Winter’s nip in the air.

LaurenBay

Visit site
I think I would get vet to do a check, if his behaviour has worsened over the last few days then I would be wondering if its a pain response.

Roxylola

Visit site
I'd suggest something hurts. With an aggressive and by the sounds a bit feral pony I don't think I'd want to put them, me or a vet through trying to work up much. If there's no improvement with more grass and nothing has changed I think I'd consider it time to let him have a peaceful end

meleeka

Visit site
Make sure he’s isn’t hungry. This cold snap have made all mine a bit grumpy. They think they are hungry even though they definitely aren’t, so feeds are now warm with extra chaff and they have more hay piles. It sounds like he’s had a good life considering how it could have turned out. Don’t feel guilt about saving him from suffering, especially as a full exam is probably out of the question.

Melody Grey

Visit site
If you’re happy that he’s warm enough and fed enough, could you try a bite/ devils claw trial or maybe a joint supplement depending on what you can get down him? It sounds like your treatment options may be limited to anything more if he’s not a happy camper with the vet?

LOL- autocorrect. Don’t try a bite trial, he’s got that one covered. ? Maybe a BUTE trial?

Sprig

Visit site
Honestly? He sounds miserable. I would pts (and probably would have done a long time ago if I couldn't get to the bottom of his aggressive behaviour).

Regandal

Visit site
I think you’ve done remarkably well with him, keeping yourself and others safe for so long. I suspect that you know yourself that his time has come.

Visit site
Only you have the answer to this. IMO no horse is born bad, it’s only life experiences that make them that way. And if you can definitely say that he has never had any bad experiences in life then I would be expecting something like a brain tumour or similar. Maybe have a chat with your Vet, but quality of life needs to be at the forefront of your decision ultimately. How is he with the farrier etc?