Have We Lost the Plot? Springer

Nicnac

Visit site
Many of you will know we lost both our Flat Coats to cancer within 7 weeks of each other in May/June. One was almost 8 and the other 6 so far too early. As half-brothers there is probably a rogue gene so we have kept away from looking at litters. We said that we weren't ready for another dog but coming home from work to a dog less house for me and for my husband to spend his days at home without a constant companion or two (horses and chickens aren't quite the same!) has been so so hard.

A good friend has a lovely working Springer bitch who was put to a rather smart boy, also working, a few months back and the litter was born on 4th July. We've always like the nutty ones having had a border collie then the flatties after many years of Bernese Mountain Dogs. We were adamant that we'd visit our friends to meet the pups but weren't interested in another dog. Well my plan worked! Husband folded easily and Ziggy is being picked up tomorrow. I am soooo excited and so ready for our new family member. Have been on a buying spree as it's been 6 years since we last had a puppy.

CT - may need your wise wisdom as this breed is new to us.

Attachments

• Ziggy 7 weeks.jpg
    Ziggy 7 weeks.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 37

Nicnac

Visit site
Ah lush! Lovely markings ?
We have 5 springers ☺️
View attachment 78464One is missing from this pic, she was otherwise engaged (being feral and hooning it around the woods around us)!

sorry to hear about your loss. I am sure gorgeous Ziggy will help fill the void.

Oo I didn't know you had them too! 5 makes me feel a lot more sane. I am looking forward to training him once the basics are established as he'll enjoy working. Never had just one dog before......;)

SpottyTB

Visit site
Oo I didn't know you had them too! 5 makes me feel a lot more sane. I am looking forward to training him once the basics are established as he'll enjoy working. Never had just one dog before......;)

Yep we work all 5 (and all 5 live in the house - we did build our house to accommodate a very large dog room) but we absolutely love them. Our oldest is 10 and youngest 2. We started with one.. then it quickly evolved ?… just saying ??. They are fab to train so quick to learn and just want to please !! Enjoy ?

TGM

Visit site
I'm so glad you are getting another canine companion! Springers are lovely dogs, we had one a few years ago and she was totally nuts, didn't calm down until she was about 13! But she had a fantastic temperament and I trusted her 100% when daughter was little. That said, I wouldn't have another one by choice. But then I'm a bit of a lazy dog owner, I don't want something that needs tons of exercise or something that is obsessed with diving into the dirtiest puddles and most rancid ponds and bringing the mess back into the house. Plus the tidal wave of hair that spreads itself around the house. But sounds like you are used to all that so I'm sure it will work out just fine. Just make sure we get lots of photos!

Nicnac

Visit site
You'll be fine, I've got 7 and 2 more on the way by my stud! And possibly a lab on the way accidentally.

will you work her?

Him and yes. Gosh 7 - brave or mad as a box of frogs? I've always liked spanners and sometimes opportunities just have to be taken.

druid

Visit site
Him and yes. Gosh 7 - brave or mad as a box of frogs? I've always liked spanners and sometimes opportunities just have to be taken.

Ah they're honestly easy, certainly easier to train than Flatties!! I don't walk them except for the odd free run on the beach it's all training otherwise and canicross. They need a job, it's what they live for. Mine are aged from the feral muppet oldie to a lovely 11 month bitch.

How is your new dog bred? Look forward to updates on him!

Two of mine last weekend after a Working Test

Attachments

• Win2.jpg
    Win2.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
You’ll be fine (why didn’t you get two, just as easy! ?)

IME, working bred are easier. I’m convinced that choosing the right dog from a litter is key, Zak chose my OH, but I spent ages looking at and holding each puppy before choosing Bear. I knew he was an easy dog.

As I’m sure others will say, absolute consistency is key. I find springers easy, a piece of cake to train as long as they’re occupied and developed into a direction they’re good at. My two working bred were ridiculously easy.

I think some people think springers are crazy/hard because they don’t train them the way springers need (very different from other gundog types) or expect them to be happy with ‘normal‘ walks.

There are definitely owners on here with more experience/springers than me who might disagree with me. I think we all have different dogs/history/experiences. I can’t wait to see how Ziggy turns out! He’s a proper chunk for a working bred.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
I’ve never actually met a bad springer.
The few that friends have had have all been nuts but clever and trainable.
My parents have one. She was a weird dog but is now the most faithful loving girl. They didn’t have her as a puppy and I’d say she’s had a very rough firsts year or so :(
I think they are lovely dogs

Nicnac

Visit site
Thanks for all support. Yes Flatties are a nightmare not the easiest to train so hoping Ziggy will be somewhat more receptive. Husband is keen on working him so once he's settled we'll look at options locally in a couple of months but no great rush - lots of basics to establish first.

@Cinnamontoast Yes he is quite chunky which is why I liked him - I do like animals with substance! He's by Sussexoak Cluedo by Quincegrove as someone asked.

Visit site
Those of you with spaniels what are their teeth like ? My little cocker will probably lose the last of her teeth next week, due to neglect by previous owners, but vet says spaniels are really prone to bad teeth.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Those of you with spaniels what are their teeth like ? My little cocker will probably lose the last of her teeth next week, due to neglect by previous owners, but vet says spaniels are really prone to bad teeth.

I don’t think that’s true for the 7 I’ve had/known. Bear’s teeth are fabulous, although he lost one, probably from eating a pig’s trotter or antler. Zak lost one, same place. Possibly a genetic thing? They were/are raw fed, so encounter lots of bones.

druid

Visit site
Thanks for all support. Yes Flatties are a nightmare not the easiest to train so hoping Ziggy will be somewhat more receptive. Husband is keen on working him so once he's settled we'll look at options locally in a couple of months but no great rush - lots of basics to establish first.

@Cinnamontoast Yes he is quite chunky which is why I liked him - I do like animals with substance! He's by Sussexoak Cluedo by Quincegrove as someone asked.

Ah, I know Vicky who owns Cluedo - nice mix of lines and he's backed it up with results! And fully health tested which is a big bonus.

iknowmyvalue

Visit site
Gorgeous ? welcome to the spaniel club! Funnily my family started on spaniels after losing our flattie too, and don’t think we’d have anything else now!

My parents springer is a lovely dog, bonkers, but lovely. She’s lacking some brain cells nowadays, but was very trainable and smart as a younger dog!