Have you ever added up what your horse costs you in a year? :-o

cauda equina

Visit site
I tell myself that they cost nothing because they live at home so no livery bills.

Feed bills, vet, farrier etc etc etc don't count

mirage

Visit site
£2280 for two natives who live out.I work on the farm in return for free grazing,hay ect,so only pay for hard feed,knobberpony's supplement, shoes,insurance,dentist,jabs,back person,rallies,lessons and shows.It doesn't cover replacement tack,outgrown clothing,lost grooming kit ect,but I am the queen of secondhand.

pippixox

Visit site
i am doing it this year!
i have managed to afford it every year, but never added up the total cost, but this year i have a spread sheet, 3 months on i am still remembering to fill it in- very scary all ready :(

my bfg

Visit site
I darent! Old vets built a new wing to the practice an new vets just bought a new house, im slightly suspious there may be a funded by me plaque in both x

Last edited:

xgemmax

Visit site
yes i did it the other day then wished i hadn't!!

Livery incl lorry storage - £2439.96

Hay (9 months) - £472.50

Insurance - £444.00

Lorry Insurance - £686.00

Jabs - £50

Bedding - £261.00

Dentist - £40

Shows - £30 x 2 a month = £720.00

Extras - £600.00

Feed and supplements - £240.00

=£5953.46 - scary!!!

oops forgot the farrier! make that £6057.46 :eek:

Last edited:

kerrieberry2

Visit site
last year £7127 for the main stuff, im sure there are bits ive missed, but I keep a spreadsheet of all of my expenses.

that's for 2 horses, 1 mini, none in work, one was not backed, the other retired! so god knows that it will be by the end of this year, with a newly backed horse and oldie with cushings! I dread to think!

Arizahn

Visit site
About £7500 per year, if I add in everything properly. He is a hardy native, and not even in work yet...competing is not in our future, I fear! :D